P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're not going to sell the Pioneer right? o_O
Right, but I gave it away, it's too big for the other rooms. I read the the OLED displays are better than plasmas, but I am not going to invest 5k on a TV set again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right, but I gave it away, it's too big for the other rooms. I read the the OLED displays are better than plasmas, but I am not going to invest 5k on a TV set again.
Wow. OLED CAN be better, but longevity is the question right now. You can get a 65" OLED for way less than $5k. Prices are coming down. I plan to get one when/if my 65" panny dies on me.

What TV did you end up getting?

Lucky someone got a nice gift.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. OLED CAN be better, but longevity is the question right now. You can get a 65" OLED for way less than $5k. Prices are coming down. I plan to get one when/if my 65" panny dies on me.

What TV did you end up getting?

Lucky someone got a nice gift.
I paid that much for my 50" Elite back in 2009, but that's C$.:(

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I should clarify my earlier comments on my Elite plasma vs my 4K Sony. Viewing distance in my case is 11 ft. That is one reason why I do not perceive improvements in terms of resolution, the other main reason being that I was comparing a 65" set to a 50" set. Also, after playing with the settings, the perceived gap appeared to have closed somewhat. The color, and even contrast seem comparable now, but the black is still inferior, though it probably equals that offered by the best or second best Panasonic plasma models.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My 55" sony 700d is awesome for the price. Sony really has done a good job with these tvs. HDR even looks nice on their entry level model.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
OLED is really nice. I like them over plasma. I've been waiting for more competing brands. I don't want to buy one when its just Sony and LG. I want Panasonic, Samsung and even Vizio to start flooding the market with OLED TV's. That will be a good time to purchase one. Competition brings down the prices. Great sets at affordable prices.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I should clarify my earlier comments on my Elite plasma vs my 4K Sony. Viewing distance in my case is 11 ft. That is one reason why I do not perceive improvements in terms of resolution, the other main reason being that I was comparing a 65" set to a 50" set. Also, after playing with the settings, the perceived gap appeared to have closed somewhat. The color, and even contrast seem comparable now, but the black is still inferior, though it probably equals that offered by the best or second best Panasonic plasma models.
11 Feet from a 65 inch too far away to notice the increased resolution. I was looking at my brothers set 65 inch set from about 10 feet away and still have trouble seeing the benefits of 4K.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You're not going to sell the Pioneer right? o_O
I just sold my 50" elite for $200 with less than 8k hours on it, with second ISF calibration :D

My friend was forced to retire and lives for Football and Baseball, couldn't bare him watch his 41" Polaroid any longer, so I "gave it away" . Down to my 60" elite and a 55" Sony POS ( not really but I'd never watch sports on it)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just sold my 50" elite for $200 with less than 8k hours on it, with second ISF calibration :D

My friend was forced to retire and lives for Football and Baseball, couldn't bare him watch his 41" Polaroid any longer, so I "gave it away" . Down to my 60" elite and a 55" Sony POS ( not really but I'd never watch sports on it)
Ya'll crazy.

Good friend though. I bet that Polaroid was tough to bear. My Sony is nice, but the ghosting/screen door effect is very noticeable. Sports are watched on my PJ or my Plasma.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
11 Feet from a 65 inch too far away to notice the increased resolution. I was looking at my brothers set 65 inch set from about 10 feet away and still have trouble seeing the benefits of 4K.
I know, but there isn't anything I can do about it. I wanted a 75" but didn't want to pay the premium.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ya'll crazy.

Good friend though. I bet that Polaroid was tough to bear. My Sony is nice, but the ghosting/screen door effect is very noticeable. Sports are watched on my PJ or my Plasma.
That's why I gave it away for free to someone who appreciates plasma and could use a small one in his bedroom. He actually did offer to pay me. You can't get much for them because for those who know about the Elite Kuro, they most likely have at least one, or something similar already. For those who don't, they won't want a 50" that weighs 88 lbs and the overall width of a 65" set, and that doubles as an electric radiant heater.

Mine most likely has less than 6000 hours on it and has been on the "Pure" selection with brightness set to -7 and contrast 28, 99.9% of the time since day 1. Overall I am much happier with the Sony LCD, believe it or not, mainly because I don't have to crank up the AC to fight the heat in that room any more. The larger size obviously help a lot too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's why I gave it away for free to someone who appreciates plasma and could use a small one in his bedroom. He actually did offer to pay me. You can't get much for them because for those who know about the Elite Kuro, they most likely have at least one, or something similar already. For those who don't, they won't want a 50" that weighs 88 lbs and the overall width of a 65" set, and that doubles as an electric radiant heater.

Mine most likely has less than 6000 hours on it and has been on the "Pure" selection with brightness set to -7 and contrast 28, 99.9% of the time since day 1. Overall I am much happier with the Sony LCD, believe it or not, mainly because I don't have to crank up the AC to fight the heat in that room any more. The larger size obviously help a lot too.
That is a good point. My Panasonic gets warm, but nothing like the 2009 models. As you said you could turn off the heat in the TV room with those things. I actually had customers that loved them take them back because of that. I'm willing to bet that aspect contributed to their demise.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a good point. My Panasonic gets warm, but nothing like the 2009 models. As you said you could turn off the heat in the TV room with those things. I actually had customers that loved them take them back because of that. I'm willing to bet that aspect contributed to their demise.
Agree, it is not so much the heat (but to me it is..) because half the population may actually like it, but no one likes, or should like the significantly higher power consumption.

OLED seems to be the answer, if and when as their price point drops below 3K for the 65" sets.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

OLED seems to be the answer, if and when as their price point drops below 3K for the 65" sets.
COSTCO has one for $2999. :D Does that count? :p
With Dolby Vision.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't thinkso. I think LG.
I do remember seeing one at Costco (Canada) at the typically higher Canadian price point, but that was a 55" so I didn't count that one.:D IIRC, Vizio is the only budget priced brand that offers Dolby Vision but not aware they have any OLED out yet, that's why I asked.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have just had good luck with Sony's in General, Started out with the 50" WXRD, moved to the XBR4 52inch which I just gave away yesterday, currently have 3, a 1080P in the bedroom, an XBR65X850C for my game room and a XBR65X900E above the fireplace. Was going to get a 55in for my game room, but my dealer gave me the 65" for about $500 less then they sell @ Best Buy, so no brainer.

Black Levels have come along way, especially with the 850C and now even more so with the 900E for LCD screens. Off angle viewing is not the best, but the color on these sets is the biggest improvement. I know I can not tell the difference in resolution 1080p vs 4K above my fireplace, I sit too far. What I do notice is the color, HDR is the real deal in the newer sets.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Yeah, my Kuro keeps me warm during the winter time:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis