P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have just had good luck with Sony's in General, Started out with the 50" WXRD, moved to the XBR4 52inch which I just gave away yesterday, currently have 3, a 1080P in the bedroom, an XBR65X850C for my game room and a XBR65X900E above the fireplace. Was going to get a 55in for my game room, but my dealer gave me the 65" for about $500 less then they sell @ Best Buy, so no brainer.

Black Levels have come along way, especially with the 850C and now even more so with the 900E for LCD screens. Off angle viewing is not the best, but the color on these sets is the biggest improvement. I know I can not tell the difference in resolution 1080p vs 4K above my fireplace, I sit too far. What I do notice is the color, HDR is the real deal in the newer sets.
The 65x900e is the one I compared with the Kuro Elite. I agree the color is excellent, it's just the black level that is lacking somewhat but not by much either. Overall I am happy with the Sony as well.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The 65x900e is the one I compared with the Kuro Elite. I agree the color is excellent, it's just the black level that is lacking somewhat but not by much either. Overall I am happy with the Sony as well.
While the black level is excellent on the 900e, it does not match the best plasmas, it does however get much brighter. I will say that either the ZD9 or the Sony AE1 will hold its own, the later being OLED.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
While the black level is excellent on the 900e, it does not match the best plasmas, it does however get much brighter. I will say that either the ZD9 or the Sony AE1 will hold its own, the later being OLED.
I agree, though the Elite was probably the brightest Plasma ever made and I had the brightness set to -7 or lower in my HT room when the blinds closed or at night with dim lights. It seems to me the 65X900e is not brighter than the Elite but I can no longer do a side by side so I am only going by memory.

Overall, I have no regret, but I wish I was allowed to keep the Elite for one of the other rooms. I just want to mention the black level thing, and should have mentioned the superior refresh rate of Plasma sets, so that someone who owns a top notch Plasma set are psychologically prepared when they switch to 4K panels. The good news is, I have already gotten use to very good black capability of the Sony, and happily moved on.:D I am not sure about other <USD2K, CAD2.5K 4k LCD sets, but can vouch for the 65X900e without hesitation based on performance alone.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I would be somewhat disappointed if I had purchased the same TV. I would expect an OLED set to have superior blacks to even the last great plasma sets. I could never go from a set with great blacks to lesser, not matter how much brighter or how the color pops. Some of these TV's you see today are way over saturated and are in need of calibration.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The main difference (in my experience) between Plasma and all other technologies, is the warm, rich colors they produce. For some reason, no matter how much I adjust them, OLED TVs don't deliver the same warm tones as Plasma. As far as actual temperature goes, my Kuro's really heat up the room. :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would be somewhat disappointed if I had purchased the same TV. I would expect an OLED set to have superior blacks to even the last great plasma sets. I could never go from a set with great blacks to lesser, not matter how much brighter or how the color pops. Some of these TV's you see today are way over saturated and are in need of calibration.
When the Kuro Elite measures pitch black or so close that a meter has a hard time measuring, not sure how you could have expectations that exceed that?

Brighter is important if you are viewing it a lit room, so no matter how great the plasma looked, and the blacks were, if you can't see the picture, it doesn't do much good, so brighter does have it's advantages in certain situations.

I agree with you that 99% of TVs you see in stores have that bloated color pop, some even have settings for store display mode, but color accuracy can not be denied, and also taking into consideration everyone might have a different preference in color presentation.

I think the biggest advantage is HDR, specifically on 10 bit panels, if you have played a video game or watched a movie that is HDR, the impact is quite impressive.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The main difference (in my experience) between Plasma and all other technologies, is the warm, rich colors they produce. For some reason, no matter how much I adjust them, OLED TVs don't deliver the same warm tones as Plasma. As far as actual temperature goes, my Kuro's really heat up the room. :)
Kuro's are good in the winter time, they actually have OLED beat in that way.:)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
When the Kuro Elite measures pitch black or so close that a meter has a hard time measuring, not sure how you could have expectations that exceed that?

Brighter is important if you are viewing it a lit room, so no matter how great the plasma looked, and the blacks were, if you can't see the picture, it doesn't do much good, so brighter does have it's advantages in certain situations.

I agree with you that 99% of TVs you see in stores have that bloated color pop, some even have settings for store display mode, but color accuracy can not be denied, and also taking into consideration everyone might have a different preference in color presentation.

I think the biggest advantage is HDR, specifically on 10 bit panels, if you have played a video game or watched a movie that is HDR, the impact is quite impressive.
Plasma's could've had HDR, however they decided it was time for PDP to come an end. I do agree that brighter is important if you are viewing in a lit room, that is why I preferred LCD/LED over plasma in those type of viewing environments. However, in a darkened room, plasma is better. I was hoping OLED to even be superior to plasma in that regard since OLED touts infinite blacks. Having said, that I'm very impressed OLED/HDR and I do want to upgrade in the future.

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Kuro's are good in the winter time, they actually have OLED beat in that way.:)
Only problem is that I live in S. Florida. <g>

Will probably go OLED eventually though. More likely to get a new 4K projector first.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just purchased a Sony XBR65x850E and a Sony KD-43X720E. These 4K sets were purchased as much for their Wireless Smart TV function as much as for 4K. Now, I can cancel my cable service and save about 80 dollars a month. So far, I'm impressed with the sets, although the 4K content from Amazon is apparently to much for my modem and/or internet service to accommodate. I do not yet have a 4K Bluray Player; but, hope to buy an OPPO 205 sometime very soon. At any rate, I do not understand why anyone now would buy a 1080 set, unless there's a need for a set within a very, very small budget.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I just purchased a Sony XBR65x850E and a Sony KD-43X720E. These 4K sets were purchased as much for their Wireless Smart TV function as much as for 4K. Now, I can cancel my cable service and save about 80 dollars a month. So far, I'm impressed with the sets, although the 4K content from Amazon is apparently to much for my modem and/or internet service to accommodate. I do not yet have a 4K Bluray Player; but, hope to buy an OPPO 205 sometime very soon. At any rate, I do not understand why anyone now would buy a 1080 set, unless there's a need for a set within a very, very small budget.
That would be right. Cost. Why spend extra money for a 4K set when 4K content is basically nonexistent and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Also, the fact the extra resolution that you get from 4K vs 1080p is not really discernible to the human eye in most installations.

4K is really marketing hype. I wish people would say UHD instead of 4K because UHD is a more accurate description and means more than just 4K or extra resolution when referring the new sets that are out on the market today.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I suppose that discerning 4K resolution from 1080 is mostly about the ratio of set size to viewing distance. I can discern it easily on relatively big screens at relatively short viewing distances, where 4K just seems to sparkle. Now, consumers will all get 4K eventually when it is no longer cost effective for manufacturers to produce earlier technologies. I also am sure 4K Bluray will soon dominate video disc sales on forth coming material. At any rate, the race for new and improved will never end, competition demands it. Some technology is break-through stuff, while most is just refinement. It's all good. Right now, my only disappointment is in audio advancement. I believe the technology exists today for very inexpensive multi-channel audio, as in a channel for every performer in an orchestra; but, I have not seen any movement or interest in this, with the exception of some experiments/demonstrations of it from JBL.

A

amayseng

Audioholic
It is hard to buy a new tv when my Plasma is superior to most out there unless you want to spend 4 grand.
At this time no need for it.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I suppose that discerning 4K resolution from 1080 is mostly about the ratio of set size to viewing distance. I can discern it easily on relatively big screens at relatively short viewing distances, where 4K just seems to sparkle. Now, consumers will all get 4K eventually when it is no longer cost effective for manufacturers to produce earlier technologies. I also am sure 4K Bluray will soon dominate video disc sales on forth coming material. At any rate, the race for new and improved will never end, competition demands it. Some technology is break-through stuff, while most is just refinement. It's all good. Right now, my only disappointment is in audio advancement. I believe the technology exists today for very inexpensive multi-channel audio, as in a channel for every performer in an orchestra; but, I have not seen any movement or interest in this, with the exception of some experiments/demonstrations of it from JBL.
Yes you can. I can see the extra resolution standing 4 feet from an 80 inch set. Most people can. However, most people are not going to sit that close to that size of a screen. The most common viewing distance is 9 feet. Sitting 10 feet from a 65 inch set, most humans won't be able to discern the difference between 1080p and 4K, that's just a fact. I'm not saying there aren't some super humans that wouldn't be able to make discern the differences, but most humans won't. UHD is a better description for today's TV's because UHD covers more than just resolution, it includes HDR or Dolby Vision if you will and wide color gamut.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis