B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
since not much is available in 4k blu ray movies and they are expensive at $25, im thinking of just getting a good 1080p tv. i watch direct tv and who knows how many years it will be until they offer 4k content. plus by that time there will be 8k. i think that tech is already here.

i was looking at the tcl roku 4k tv at $600

i figure ill get better image and upscaling to 1080p and better picture settings than an inexpensive 4k tv upscaling to 4k.

i guess what im saying is im not buying into the 4k hype. plus i have many 1080p blu ray movies and dvds. and you can find many blu rays for $4. also would have to buy a 4k blu ray player with 4k tv to get the best out of it. and i wont be buying 4k blu ray movies at $25 or even $20 on sale.

any good 1080p sets 60 to 65 recommendations?

i see only one 55 inch at costco for $569

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D* doesn't even offer 1080p stuff except on pay per view....

HDR seems to be the best reason for going to a 4k set. I'm waiting it out until it's as cheap as 1080p was when I finally went there. Haven't shopped tv in 5 years, very happy with my 1080p plasma....but maybe someday will move on to 4k/HDR (or who knows maybe it'll be 8k or 16k by then :) ). For the limited content I'd view in 4k it's not even on my radar at this point, upscaling or no.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Only the lowest end TVs are 1080p right now so you can get one, just don't expect to be impressed with PQ. You can get 4k sets for not a lot of money, just depends on how big of a TV and what quality level you expect.

A

ArKay QA

Audiophyte
since not much is available in 4k blu ray movies and they are expensive at $25, im thinking of just getting a good 1080p tv. i watch direct tv and who knows how many years it will be until they offer 4k content. plus by that time there will be 8k. i think that tech is already here.

i figure ill get better image and upscaling to 1080p and better picture settings than an inexpensive 4k tv upscaling to 4k.

i guess what im saying is im not buying into the 4k hype. plus i have many 1080p blu ray movies and dvds. and you can find many blu rays for $4. also would have to buy a 4k blu ray player with 4k tv to get the best out of it. and i wont be buying 4k blu ray movies at $25 or even $20 on sale.

I would rather buy a used " High end " Plasma then a new LCD/ LED. I have an LCD , LED , and four Plasma's. My first Plasma was the Hitachi 42HDX99, which is the only plasma I bought new. It was only 1080i and was one of the nicest looking I had seen ( at the time and compared to any 1080p LCD's or LED's I would check out through the years ) It still looks great and works perfectly and is 10 years old. I've since purchased a Samsung Plasma, then a Panasonic Plasma ( still working,no problems, looks great, as panny's do ) and finally saw, ( drooled over ), and bought the last generation ( 2009 ) of the 60" KURO Pioneer KRP- 600M 1080p Plasma on Craig's List. WOW! Now I understand the hype. The only reason the previous owner was selling it was he was buying a $5000 OLED. ( Hope he's not disappointed ) I wonder how long it will last? I would recommend, what ever you are thinking of getting after reading reviews, etc. is to google in " Problems " associated with that unit. The Samsung I have died on my friends brother just after the warranty was up, he bought a new TV, gave the Samsung to my friend , it sat around for a year collecting dust then he gave it to me. I changed all the Capacitors in the power supply, and one Board. It's been working fine for three years so far. As long as you don't mind metal, anodized aluminum, glass, a good looking TV and something built like a tank that can be fixed.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I love my Pioneer Kuros as well. I bought the last series in late 2008 -- a 50" and a 60" and they are still better than 99% of the TVs out there today.

Remember, resolution isn't everything.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Have panny plasma. 30ST circa 2011. Had to repair it once (buffer ic died) but other than it's size I'm perfectly happy with it

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed. Still amazed at how good my 65" Panny VT60 looks.

macey

macey

Enthusiast
I personally always have a hard time choosing 4k, so little supports it now it just does not seem worth it to me at the moment. The only reason I can see it justified is if you have a high end gaming pc and want to use it for playing games in 4k, otherwise I would avoid it

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
still love my Panasonic plasma as well but if ones viewing environment has a large amount of ambient light todays better LED sets easily competes or betters it. As for4k, no interest as of now ......

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
still love my Panasonic plasma as well but if ones viewing environment has a large amount of ambient light todays better LED sets easily competes or betters it. As for4k, no interest as of now ......
That is true. It's the only thing that has me thinking of replacing my plasma in my living room with something else. I don't use that TV much because my kids are usually watching it, but at night when they go to be that is the one we use. I just wouldn't know where to put it once I did that.

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
I purchased a 60’’ plasma about 3 ish years ago for $1000 on closeout (price lowered to $950 and then dropped by best buy). I sit about 13 feet back from the screen and find 1080 and up-scaled 480 content wonderful. Non up-scaled 480 from DVD content is great too.

Personally, I am waiting until I can find an 80 inch 4K for under $2,000; that is my strike price. I realize that this may not be for a few years, but I am in little demand for 4K and am wonderfully content with my current setup. I primarily watch recorded content and films. Much of my video content is pre 2005 anyway and most titles are already available in Blu-ray.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The 4K thing has been a great marketing success. I see 4K set all over the place, they all don't necessarily look good (except OLED), but hey they're 4K . I wonder how they will sell us 8K, because we know that will be the next great TV to have.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The 4K thing has been a great marketing success. I see 4K set all over the place, they all don't necessarily look good (except OLED), but hey they're 4K . I wonder how they will sell us 8K, because we know that will be the next great TV to have.
People that know nothing about technology are easily swayed by fancy sounding words. That and they can say they have something when someone else doesn't. Makes them feel special. :rolleyes:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

At the end of the day, I think you're grinding over a few dollars.

I'm mostly with you when it comes to 4k content...that's really not the reason to buy one of these sets unless you are one to really seek out 4k content.

Obviously the TV manufacturers knew they were probably not going to get the same kind of network support for 4k that 720& 1080p got. So...in order to start pushing 4k sets out, they cut back manufacturing on 1080p sets to the degree that you're getting basically one or two screen size options in 1080p....mostly the cheaper sets.

When we needed to add or replace TVs recently, I went ahead with 4k TV even though I have little intention of watching 4k content...the upscaled picture is better than 4k.

I look at it like this.

The 55" 1080p TV for $570, or $700 for a Samsung 55" 4k? For $130 I'm getting the new technology TV every time.

2channel lover

4k TV sales have been growing now that the unit pricing is coming down...not quite 20% market penetration yet I understand, so there is a lot of growth potential ahead.

8k will most likely be for the lunatic fringe buyers...cutting edge buyer that must have the latest and greatest.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
"4K" is marketing manna from heaven. It's a number and a letter. People see it and lose grip on their wallet. That said, there's no visual gain in 1080P and 4K for most folks. Hec, for many folks there's no to little gain from 720 to 1080.

That said there's plenty of advantages between today's best or even average 4k, and the best 1080 at any time, outside of just resolution. So when you see 4K, just remember that you're also getting more than improved resolution. I imagine the same will continue with 8K et al.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

all these HD formats should help reveal the flaws a company failed to clean-up when they transfer something to blu-ray disc! I've got the 1945 film "And Then There Were None" on blu-ray. Disc shows caption "NEWLY RESTORED!" and format HD 1080P. Wonder if the audio or video was actually re-mastered or just a cursory cleanup. Looks better than the older DVD or VHS though.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
all these HD formats should help reveal the flaws a company failed to clean-up when they transfer something to blu-ray disc! I've got the 1945 film "And Then There Were None" on blu-ray. Disc shows caption "NEWLY RESTORED!" and format HD 1080P. Wonder if the audio or video was actually re-mastered or just a cursory cleanup. Looks better than the older DVD or VHS though.
How can you tell without watching if a movie is worth getting on blu ray or uhd? I picked up 28 days later and it was terrible, almost ruined the movie. Most movies I don't think I really notice too much difference. With how cheap movies are to buy used I'll continue to just buy blu ray. The fifth element looked phenomenal on blu ray and I've been tempted to buy it in uhd.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my Pioneer Kuros as well. I bought the last series in late 2008 -- a 50" and a 60" and they are still better than 99% of the TVs out there today.

Remember, resolution isn't everything.
I just replaced my 50" Elite with a 65" 4K. The 4K is much bigger, but the Elite is much better in black level and picture quality is better overall. If I had the 60" I would have stayed put.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just replaced my 50" Elite with a 65" 4K. The 4K is much bigger, but the Elite is much better in black level and picture quality is better overall. If I had the 60" I would have stayed put.
You're not going to sell the Pioneer right? o_O

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis