4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased a one-month subscription to HBO max just for Kong versus Godzilla. Most likely, my guess is, it will be broadcasted in 4K and Atmos. Can’t wait!!
It better be!

KvG was shot with 6.5K digital cameras. Atmos of King of the Monsters and Skull Island was awesome. So we expect nothing less than awesome Atmos for KvG. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Godzilla vs Kong 2021 4K ATMOS

I might have to revisit this movie when it comes out on actual BluRay disc since this streaming content might not be as good in terms of the SQ.

PQ: GvK was shot with 6.5K Arri Alexa 65 Digital Camera. So the PQ was awesome as expected. Colors are excellent and dark scenes looked great.

SQ: I'm not going to put this movie into my list of Atmos movies. It has some overhead moments, but overall very inconsistent. The volume had to be turned up by 6dB or more. Bass had some good moments, but nothing killer about it overall - or maybe you have to crank the volume up to 12dB. :D Overall, I would say SQ is pretty good, but just not REFERENCE quality.

Again, when it comes out on actual BluRay, I will see if they improved the SQ and Atmos track. But this streaming version isn't as good as "King of the Monsters" or "Skull Island".

Plot/Story: Don't even get me started on Plot. But then again, most of us don't really care about plot for these movies. :D What we do WANT is to see A LOT of Godzilla and Kong kick some serious a$$. But we do NOT see a lot of this in this movie because this dumba$$ director thinks we wanted to watch some annoying idiotic fools talk all day long and spill water on some computers. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
SQ: I'm not going to put this movie into my list of Atmos movies. It has some overhead moments, but overall very inconsistent. The volume had to be turned up by 6dB or more. Bass had some good moments, but nothing killer about it overall - or maybe you have to crank the volume up to 12dB. :D Overall, I would say SQ is pretty good, but just not REFERENCE quality.
You say it's time for me to ditch the -10 dB volume level limiter I've set in my Denon AVR? :D

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic

I might have to revisit this movie when it comes out on actual BluRay disc since this streaming content might not be as good in terms of the SQ.

PQ: GvK was shot with 6.5K Arri Alexa 65 Digital Camera. So the PQ was awesome as expected. Colors are excellent and dark scenes looked great.

Again, when it comes out on actual BluRay, I will see if they improved the SQ and Atmos track. But this streaming version isn't as good as "King of the Monsters" or "Skull Island".

Plot/Story: Don't even get me started on Plot. But then again, most of us don't really care about plot for these movies. :D What we do WANT is to see A LOT of Godzilla and Kong kick some serious a$$. But we do NOT see a lot of this in this movie because this dumba$$ director thinks we wanted to watch some annoying idiotic fools talk all day long and spill water on some computers. :eek: :D
My guess it's just because it is streamed(fakemos). But, I guess we will see when the Blu-ray comes out.

4K physical comes out on June 14th. I'm going to skip the streamed version and wait for proper physical personally(I'm going to pre-order). I haven't seen the other three yet anyway but, own them and am going to start watching them soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wrath of Man 2021 (Amazon Streaming, 4K, DD+)

PQ: This movie was shot with the Sony CineAlta Venice 6K Resolution Digital Camera. So PQ is awesome.

SQ: Will have to wait for the BluRay Atmos version since this is only in DD+. It sounds great for traditional DD+, and there probably won't be too many overhead actions for movies like these.

Story: I still haven't finished the story yet. But after about 1 hour into the movie, I am loving this movie. Might be the best movie I've seen in 2021. So will probably finish the movie tonight. :D

Edit: I finished the movie. And still liked it a lot. It’s definitely not the typical all brainless action Jason Statham movie. This movie is more crime-drama with action. It’s more cerebral than his usual movies.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

PQ: This movie was shot with the Sony CineAlta Venice 6K Resolution Digital Camera. So PQ is awesome.

SQ: Will have to wait for the BluRay Atmos version since this is only in DD+. It sounds great for traditional DD+, and there probably won't be too many overhead actions for movies like these.

Story: I still haven't finished the story yet. But after about 1 hour into the movie, I am loving this movie. Might be the best movie I've seen in 2021. So will probably finish the movie tonight. :D
Amazon now owns 50% of MGM. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months to year. Just a little FYI there.

Wrath of Man looks interesting. popcorn flick for sure. Typical Jason Statham movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon now owns 50% of MGM. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months to year. Just a little FYI there.

Wrath of Man looks interesting. popcorn flick for sure. Typical Jason Statham movie.
Oh, you thinking Amazon will also do the simultaneous home streaming + theaters? I won't complain. :D

So far I think "Wrath" seems to be better than all of the previous Statham movies. It seems more focused and "high-end", not like a "B-movie". :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh, you thinking Amazon will also do the simultaneous home streaming + theaters? I won't complain. :D

So far I think "Wrath" seems to be better than all of the previous Statham movies. It seems more focused and "high-end", not like a "B-movie". :D
Maybe! that would be awesome. Or Maybe does a 15/30 day window in theaters than streaming right after. I know right now Universal is the only one that has a 17 day theater window. Then hits PVOD after. I believe WB, Paramount have a 45 day Theater window then hits streaming. Disney has 3 releases that will be day and date theater/streaming. Those are Cruella, Black Widow and Jungle Cruise. But you'll have to pay an additional $30 to watch them on release date.

I hope Amazon ups their game now that they have half ownership of a major movie studio. I hope they improve their 4k and ATMOS streaming capabilities. They have so much money to make it happen, that spending a few million to make those improvements is pocket change. They make roughly $20+ billion on Prime memberships alone per year. I think the least they can do is make their streaming some of the best on the market. I really want their Lord of the Rings series to be so flipping amazing. All in 4k ATMOS!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe! that would be awesome. Or Maybe does a 15/30 day window in theaters than streaming right after. I know right now Universal is the only one that has a 17 day theater window. Then hits PVOD after. I believe WB, Paramount have a 45 day Theater window then hits streaming. Disney has 3 releases that will be day and date theater/streaming. Those are Cruella, Black Widow and Jungle Cruise. But you'll have to pay an additional $30 to watch them on release date.

I hope Amazon ups their game now that they have half ownership of a major movie studio. I hope they improve their 4k and ATMOS streaming capabilities. They have so much money to make it happen, that spending a few million to make those improvements is pocket change. They make roughly $20+ billion on Prime memberships alone per year. I think the least they can do is make their streaming some of the best on the market. I really want their Lord of the Rings series to be so flipping amazing. All in 4k ATMOS!!
Wrath of Man (MGM) was in Theaters May 7. Now it's streaming on Amazon. So the 2 weeks window seems good. :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

It’s on tap for tonight’s viewing it looks pretty good !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw “Wrath of Man“ again with my wife. She is extremely picky and doesn’t like most of the brainless action movies. :D

But she absolutely loved “Wrath of Man”.

So that is thumbs up from both me and my wife for this movie.

Good story.

Great Picture Quality (6K Sony digital camera).

Good standard SQ - don’t know if Atmos will add much. But when you can watch a movie TWICE and don’t even THINK about the sound at all, it’s like having those speakers that “disappear” and all you have is the movie itself.

So overall, great movie on all aspects - creative and technical.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Does anybody that gets directv or the like get ABC or NBC network in 4K? I was watching the NBA finals yesterday through my chromecast via youtubetv and there was 1 month free subscription to 4K plus ( a new thing where they offer a lot of sports channels in 4K) unfortunately I didn’t see ABC or NBC.. it’s really hard to believe these networks haven’t adopted 4K yet.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw “Wrath of Man“ again with my wife. She is extremely picky and doesn’t like most of the brainless action movies. :D

But she absolutely loved “Wrath of Man”.

So that is thumbs up from both me and my wife for this movie.

Good story.

Great Picture Quality (6K Sony digital camera).

Good standard SQ - don’t know if Atmos will add much. But when you can watch a movie TWICE and don’t even THINK about the sound at all, it’s like having those speakers that “disappear” and all you have is the movie itself.

So overall, great movie on all aspects - creative and technical.
It’s weird the studio didn’t release a 4K version of Wrath of Man, but the Kaleidescape has it on 4K with Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s weird the studio didn’t release a 4K version of Wrath of Man, but the Kaleidescape has it on 4K with Atmos.
They might release the 4K BD later. Or it might be another case of web-only 4K release (Edge of Tomorrow, Silence of the Lamb, etc.).

I’ve been seeing plenty of these web-only 4K releases.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
They might release the 4K BD later. Or it might be another case of web-only 4K release (Edge of Tomorrow, Silence of the Lamb, etc.).

I’ve been seeing plenty of these web-only 4K releases.
I saw yesterday that Silence of the Lambs will be coming out on 4K physical disc this fall. Can’t wait for that. Others coming out on 4K in sept are The Thing and Shawshank Redemption.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw yesterday that Silence of the Lambs will be coming out on 4K physical disc this fall. Can’t wait for that. Others coming out on 4K in sept are The Thing and Shawshank Redemption.
Gotta have Lambs, Shawshank, Godfather I & II on 4K BluRay discs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will be checking out “The Suicide Squad 2021” which was shot using the RED Ranger/Red Weapon 8K Digital Cameras. So picture quality should be excellent. Hopefully the sound quality and plot will be great too. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Gotta have Lambs, Shawshank, Godfather I & II on 4K BluRay discs.
You're in luck, Godfather is on the list of 4k's in the near future. I hope they do a trilogy set. Gravity was supposed to be coming out this year, but last week they said they have postponed it. Guess the director wasn't a fan of the HDR transfer. So, have no idea when that will get back on track.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis