4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"2012" 4K ATMOS.

Sound Quality: Reference Atmos soundtrack. I don't think there is another movie that has a more active overhead sound-field presence. Pretty much anything that can be heard overhead is heard overhead. :D

I even heard flies and mosquitoes flying overhead during the camping scenes in the park.

Pretty much every helicopter and airplane is heard flying overhead.

Wind, Fire, Rain, you name it.

You want to Demo your Atmos sound system and don't want to waste any time, watch "2012". :D

Picture Quality: "2012" was shot using the Panavision Genesis 2K Digital Camera. So picture quality is excellent. "2012" was shot in 2009, but it looks better than analog-film movies shot 11 years later in 2020 like Wonder Woman 1984 and Tenet. :D

Same thing can be said of "older" movies like TRON Legacy and Avatar, which were both shot using 2K Digital Cameras, so they will both look awesome when they are transferred from 2K Digital to 4K Digital.

The visual special effects of "2012" are awesome. Difficult to beat.

This movie is mainly about the Visual Special Effects shot in 2K Digital Resolution and the awesome Remastered Atmos Soundtrack.

As for the Plot and Story, it has plenty of plot holes. Definitely not the best story. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
"2012" 4K ATMOS.

Sound Quality: Reference Atmos soundtrack. I don't think there is another movie that has a more active overhead sound-field presence. Pretty much anything that can be heard overhead is heard overhead. :D

I even heard flies and mosquitoes flying overhead during the camping scenes in the park.

You want to Demo your Atmos sound system and don't want to waste any time, watch "2012". :D

Picture Quality: "2012" was shot using the Panavision Genesis 2K Digital Camera. So picture quality is excellent. "2012" was shot in 2009, but it looks better than analog-film movies shot 11 years later in 2020 like Wonder Woman 1984 and Tenet. :D

Same thing can be said of "older" movies like TRON Legacy and Avatar, which were both shot using 2K Digital Cameras, so they will both look awesome when they are transferred from 2K Digital to 4K Digital.

This movie is mainly about the Visual Special Effects shot in 2K Digital Resolution and the awesome Remastered Atmos Soundtrack.

As for the Plot and Story, it has plenty of plot holes. Definitely not the best story. :D
Just saw some others talking about this. Super excited. You mentioned a lot of overhead use. How well does that play to the XYZ 3D mapping “in room”?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw some others talking about this. Super excited. You mentioned a lot of overhead use. How well does that play to the XYZ 3D mapping “in room”?
I think it does a great job of 3D-sound mapping. Plenty of overhead panning also.

Sounds 100% better than anything I've heard at commercial Atmos theaters. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
"2012" 4K ATMOS.

you need to watch Hacksaw Ridge on 4K. Sorry if you’ve already posted it. Just watch it again. Haha

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Snowpiercer S01E08 4K/Atmos (6K camera).

Wow. Extremely intense and way beyond the point of no return. It seems like the entire E08 was “on the edge of your seat”.

I was too busy trying to catch my breath and heartbeat to pay any attention to the Atmos sound. :D

Getting close to season finale - 2 more episodes. They have renewed season 02.
Thanks for this. I picked up the blu ray for season 1. Very good. A little better than the stream to my appreciation. Did not previously watch any of it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently saw "Monster Hunter" starring Milla Jovivich. It was shot using a 4.5K Digital Camera, so the PQ is awesome. But unfortunately, that is the only good thing about the movie. :D

Soundtrack isn't too bad. I saw it in DD+. Not the best sound, but pretty good.

Story-wise, this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, almost as bad as Wonder Woman 1984. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw "Superman and Lois" TV series on CW last night.

This TV series was shot using the 8K Resolution Panavision DXL2.

Now, why can't they shoot every single movie and TV series using the 8K Rez DXL2? :D

So PQ is absolutely superb. It looks like 4K HDR even though I was watching 2K SDR. :D

Story-wise, I loved it. I was afraid it was gonna be stupid like "Supergirl", which I couldn't stand. But I loved this new Superman & Lois show.

It talks about the personal life of Superman with his wife Lois and 2 sons, which we've never seen before. :D

The potential is great, the expectation is great, and so far I think E01 is pretty great.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I recently saw "Monster Hunter" starring Milla Jovivich. It was shot using a 4.5K Digital Camera, so the PQ is awesome. But unfortunately, that is the only good thing about the movie. :D

Soundtrack isn't too bad. I saw it in DD+. Not the best sound, but pretty good.

Story-wise, this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, almost as bad as Wonder Woman 1984. :D
Excellent, I will skip watching this epic fail of a movie. Jovivich has really gone downhill since 5th Element. haha. I will say that the first Resident Evil movie was good but went way down hill afterwards.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks for this. I picked up the blu ray for season 1. Very good. A little better than the stream to my appreciation. Did not previously watch any of it.
Snow Piercer has been such a great show. Season 2 is really good so far.

Another really great show is Bosch on Amazon Prime. I'm late to the party with this show since it came out back in 2015. But damn, it's really good. If you like cop drama. The acting, writing, directing is all top notch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent, I will skip watching this epic fail of a movie. Jovivich has really gone downhill since 5th Element. haha. I will say that the first Resident Evil movie was good but went way down hill afterwards.
MJ looks awesome on those 4-8K Digital Cameras, though. :D :D

Only reason I was able to sit through that movie. OMG, it was difficult. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snow Piercer has been such a great show. Season 2 is really good so far.

Another really great show is Bosch on Amazon Prime. I'm late to the party with this show since it came out back in 2015. But damn, it's really good. If you like cop drama. The acting, writing, directing is all top notch.
Bosch, which I am caught up with, has also been shot using 6K Digital Cameras (Red Epic Dragon) since S04. Great story, great show, also looks awesome doing it. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GODZILLA 2014 4K ATMOS

Video: It was shot using a 3K Arri Alexa Plus Digital Camera. Although it looked very dark on many scenes, I thought it still looked very good, especially compared to 35mm and 70mm analog films.

Atmos: Although not as good as "Godzilla King of the Monsters", there were some scenes that really stood out. During the opening scenes in Japan when the nuclear reactor exploded, I thought my ceiling was going to fall down. But there were also some scenes (helicopters) that did not utilize Atmos, which was disappointing. But overall, I would still put this movie in my Atmos list because there were enough overhead sound effects. There was plenty of bass, but again, not as good as the 6.5K-video 2019 Godzilla movie IMO.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
GODZILLA 2014 4K ATMOS

Video: It was shot using a 3K Arri Alexa Plus Digital Camera. Although it looked very dark on many scenes, I thought it still looked very good, especially compared to 35mm and 70mm analog films.

Atmos: Although not as good as "Godzilla King of the Monsters", there were some scenes that really stood out. During the opening scenes in Japan when the nuclear reactor exploded, I thought my ceiling was going to fall down. But there were also some scenes (helicopters) that did not utilize Atmos, which was disappointing. But overall, I would still put this movie in my Atmos list because there were enough overhead sound effects. There was plenty of bass, but again, not as good as the 6.5K-video 2019 Godzilla movie IMO.
I need to re-watch Godzilla. First time I watch back in 2015 I wasn't really paying attention. I've heard really good thing about this 4k transfer. Thanks for the review.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Bosch, which I am caught up with, has also been shot using 6K Digital Cameras (Red Epic Dragon) since S04. Great story, great show, also looks awesome doing it. :cool:
Finished Bosch last night. Yeah, I could definitely tell they upgraded the camera in S4 and beyond. The picture was so crispy clear. S7 will be dropping this summer and will be the final season. They are making a spin-off series that will include Bosch, his daughter Maddie and Honey Chandler. I'm looking forward that series.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I purchased a one-month subscription to HBO max just for Kong versus Godzilla. Most likely, my guess is, it will be broadcasted in 4K and Atmos. Can’t wait!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis