B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
now that my new sub is figured out i thought i would add a second sub. this is my older sub its a 12inch valoydne ported. i talked to the guy at SVS and he said he would add this sub but he would set the low bass filter between 40-50. is this the same as low bass x over? would i set the phase to 0 like the other sub or set this one to 180? i figured i might as well use this sub until i can afford a matching one and i don't think there is much resale value in a old sub

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
now that my new sub is figured out i thought i would add a second sub. this is my older sub its a 12inch valoydne ported. i talked to the guy at SVS and he said he would add this sub but he would set the low bass filter between 40-50. is this the same as low bass x over? would i set the phase to 0 like the other sub or set this one to 180? i figured i might as well use this sub until i can afford a matching one and i don't think there is much resale value in a old sub
Yeah, it's basically the crossover circuit on board the sub. There isn't really a reason that I can see to filter it that low, however. If I were you, I would let the AVR calibrate it, and see what happens. And then explore different crossover frequencies. Just keep whatever sounds best to you.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i did let the AVR do its thing. i think maybe he suggested this because the sub isn't matched with the new one. but should the phase be opposite of each other? one at 0 an the other at 180. eventually i will get a matching sub so i figured this old CT 120 can't be worth that much used. a guy offered me 100 bucks for it

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
i did let the AVR do its thing. i think maybe he suggested this because the sub isn't matched with the new one. but should the phase be opposite of each other? one at 0 an the other at 180. eventually i will get a matching sub so i figured this old CT 120 can't be worth that much used. a guy offered me 100 bucks for it
The phase should be the same! Make sure they are both set at zero, or you risk some major phase cancellation. Yeah, I would take that guy up on his offer of $100 if you are certain you will be getting a matching sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis