20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
20 best sounding albums

well since this forum is about sound I will start of with my best SOUNDING music, that means no Robert Johnson,Charlie Parker,Pablo Casals,Art Tatum,Heifetz etc. since the recording quality of these albums is not outstanding but luckily I own a number of almost equally good but well RECORDED music in various formats.

1. Carmen Gomes Inc;Thousand Shades of Blue,
Music Store
2. Paul Berner Band;Road to Memphis,

3. Carmen Gomes Inc.;Torn

Sound Liaison:Music Store
After careful consideration I decided to be bold and put my 3 Sound Liaison Studio Master Downloads at the top of my list.These 24/96 hi-rez Wav files has a depth and a warm and incredible Sound Stage which none of my other recordings can touch.Not bad for a small independent Label.

4.Doug Macleod;There's a Time
5.Minnesota Orchestra;Symphonic Dances
6.Albert Fuller: Bach&Rameau
Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog
Almost equally good are the Keith Johnson recordings from Reference Recordings.These were my top audiophile musics until Sound Liaison came along.
The Doug Macleod recording has a similar sound as the Sound Liaison Wav files,it is deep,warm and very natural.If it wasn't for the fact that Doug's voice is moving a little bit from left to right while singing, that album would have been at no.1 together with Carmen Gomes.
The Minnesota Orchestra's recording of the Symphonic Dances is simply the best recording of a Symphony Orchestra that I own, the same goes for Albert Fuller's lovely harpsichord interpretations of Bach and Rameau.If you think you do not like the sound of a harpsichord check this one out,you'll be surprised.

7.Keith Jarrett ;at the Blue Note
8.Bobo Stenson Trio; Serenity
9.Peter Erskine Trio;As It is

for piano trio recordings these 3 ECM albums are sublime,I know that a lot of people adore the old Rudy van Gelder but the sound of the piano he never got right. ECM does.ECM Records - Home
10.Joni Mitchell;Travelogue.Joni's own retrospective with gorgeous Vince Mendoza arrangements.Joni's voice is deeper more ''lived'' and her phrasing reveals her love of Billie Holiday. The recording is sublime,with a big big sound stage.

Now I will go back in time ,analogue time, and these LP's will probably be known to most you.
11.Miles Davis;Kind of Blue. needs no introduction, it stands the test of time. The new remaster sounds even better. Manfred Eicher of Ecm says that the Sound of this album is what he is TRYING to achieve.
12.Sonny Rollins;The Bridge. ''God bless the Child'' Sonny and Jim Hall,heart breaking well played and sounding.
13.Frank Sinatra;Only the Lonely. This must be the recording that inspired the engineers on the Joni Mitchell Travelogue recording and is,in my opinion,the best Frank Sinatra album.
14.George Shearing with Nancy Wilson;the Swinging is Mutual!. Listen to track 2 ''All Night Long'' side one,That track almost make me believe that old LP's sounds better than modern Hi-rez Studio Master Downloads.
15.Monica Zetterlund & Bill Evans;Waltz for Debby. This sweet sounding recording shows what a fantastic
accompanist Bill Evans was and the sound stage is so clearly defined.That is what Reference Recordings and Sound Liaison is reintroducing,placement of the instruments.
16.Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery;Bags Meets Wes. Again placement,and every instrument very clearly heard. The tape machine was not running completely steady so the sound is trembling ever so slightly.
17. John Coltrane;Crescent. So I guess that,to keep the peace, I better put in one Rudy van Gelder album.
He did know how to record a Saxophone and the drums sounds good too.Rudy's true strength though was balance.
18. Bobby Timmons;Bobby Timmons Trio in person.I love Ron Carter,the bass player,and he is magnificently prominent here,talking about a DEEP bass.
19.Arthur Grumiaux;J.S.Bach Sonatas & Partitas.some how this L.P. tells it like it is,putting the music first.
20.Holy Cole;Temptation. old favorite of mine,sound of the double bass has not stood the test of time,but the production is incredible.
21.Me'shell Ndegéocello:peace Beyond Passion,again great production,and... placement!
22.Dave Brubeck;Time out. Almost forgot this one,that would have been unforgivable. Time Out is an audiophile classic.

oops I see that I went past the limit and I did not even get To Mingus;''Ah Um'' ,Steely Dan;Two Against Nature.Ray Charles.....................

Last edited:
J

JMJVK

Audioholic
My list, in no particular order.

I love list like these!!!

Helps to discover great stuff. Thanks to Youtube, sampling is now made so easy... I'm going to go broke again with yet another Amazon spending spree... Oh well... I'll gladly sacrifice a few Pizzas.

Here's my list, in no particular order. It was really hard to stop at twenty, though... (All links to Discogs.com)

- Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon Multi-channel hybrid SACD
- Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time out Vinyl
- Dire Straits - Brothers in arms Vinyl
- Gregorian monks - Masters of chant
- Peter Frampton - Comes alive Vinyl
- Ray Brown trio - Soular Energy (w Gene Harris) Vinyl
- Kitaro - Silk Road Vinyl
- Nirvana - Nevermind
- Vangelis - Odyssey: The definitive collection
- Jean Michel Jarre - Houston/Lyon en Concert Vinyl
- Ennio Morricone - Once upon a time in the west OST, Vinyl
- Norah Jones - Come away with me
- Carole King - Tapestry Vinyl
- Duran Duran - Arena Vinyll
- The Police - Synchronicity vinyl
- Pearl Jam - Ten Vinyl
- Adele - Live at Royal Albert Hall BluRay live concert
- Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygène Vinyl
- Metallica ‎– Metallica
- Pink Floyd - Pulse DVD Live at Earls Court

C

Chluke33

Audiophyte
Apologies if has been mentioned already....The Shaming Of The True - Kevin Gilbert

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
25% of on the Sound Liaison albums, new top 3

Sound Liaison are having a sale this month, 25% of on full albums:15€-20$ dollar on the Wav files, and they have one of the Carmen Gomes albums that I mentioned available as Flac now for 12€-20$.
Link Sound Liaison;Music Store
And i should like to change the top 3 on my list, I leave the Sound Liaison albums at the top but should like to include the new album After Silence by Master trumpet Andre Heuvelman. Incredible album with an even better or equal good sound as the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album.

so this is my new top 3:

well since this forum is about sound I will start of with my best SOUNDING music, that means no Robert Johnson,Charlie Parker,Pablo Casals,Art Tatum,Heifetz etc. since the recording quality of these albums is not outstanding but luckily I own a number of almost equally good but well RECORDED music in various formats.

Music Store

After careful consideration I decided to be bold and put my 3 Sound Liaison Studio Master Downloads at the top of my list.These 24/96 hi-rez Wav files has a depth and a warm and incredible Sound Stage which none of my other recordings can touch.Not bad for a small independent Label.

Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog
Almost equally good are the Keith Johnson recordings from Reference Recordings.These were my top audiophile musics until Sound Liaison came along.
The Doug Macleod recording has a similar sound as the Sound Liaison Wav files,it is deep,warm and very natural.If it wasn't for the fact that Doug's voice is moving a little bit from left to right while singing, that album would have been at no.1 together with Carmen Gomes.
The Minnesota Orchestra's recording of the Symphonic Dances is simply the best recording of a Symphony Orchestra that I own, the same goes for Albert Fuller's lovely harpsichord interpretations of Bach and Rameau.If you think you do not like the sound of a harpsichord check this one out,you'll be surprised.

for piano trio recordings these 3 ECM albums are sublime,I know that a lot of people adore the old Rudy van Gelder but the sound of the piano he never got right. ECM does.ECM Records - Home
10.Joni Mitchell;Travelogue.Joni's own retrospective with gorgeous Vince Mendoza arrangements.Joni's voice is deeper more ''lived'' and her phrasing reveals her love of Billie Holiday. The recording is sublime,with a big big sound stage.

Now I will go back in time ,analogue time, and these LP's will probably be known to most you.
11.Miles Davis;Kind of Blue. needs no introduction, it stands the test of time. The new remaster sounds even better. Manfred Eicher of Ecm says that the Sound of this album is what he is TRYING to achieve.
12.Sonny Rollins;The Bridge. ''God bless the Child'' Sonny and Jim Hall,heart breaking well played and sounding.
13.Frank Sinatra;Only the Lonely. This must be the recording that inspired the engineers on the Joni Mitchell Travelogue recording and is,in my opinion,the best Frank Sinatra album.
14.George Shearing with Nancy Wilson;the Swinging is Mutual!. Listen to track 2 ''All Night Long'' side one,That track almost make me believe that old LP's sounds better than modern Hi-rez Studio Master Downloads.
15.Monica Zetterlund & Bill Evans;Waltz for Debby. This sweet sounding recording shows what a fantastic
accompanist Bill Evans was and the sound stage is so clearly defined.That is what Reference Recordings and Sound Liaison is reintroducing,placement of the instruments.
16.Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery;Bags Meets Wes. Again placement,and every instrument very clearly heard. The tape machine was not running completely steady so the sound is trembling ever so slightly.
17. John Coltrane;Crescent. So I guess that,to keep the peace, I better put in one Rudy van Gelder album.
He did know how to record a Saxophone and the drums sounds good too.Rudy's true strength though was balance.
18. Bobby Timmons;Bobby Timmons Trio in person.I love Ron Carter,the bass player,and he is magnificently prominent here,talking about a DEEP bass.
19.Arthur Grumiaux;J.S.Bach Sonatas & Partitas.some how this L.P. tells it like it is,putting the music first.
20.Holy Cole;Temptation. old favorite of mine,sound of the double bass has not stood the test of time,but the production is incredible.
21.Me'shell Ndegéocello:peace Beyond Passion,again great production,and... placement!
22.Dave Brubeck;Time out. Almost forgot this one,that would have been unforgivable. Time Out is an audiophile classic.

oops I see that I went past the limit and I did not even get To Mingus;''Ah Um'' ,Steely Dan;Two Against Nature.Ray Charles.....................

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Archer Prewitt: Wilderness. Really terrific, well-written, richly-arranged pop. "O, KY" is probably my favorite of the bunch:

[video=youtube_share;QTU5re531Yg]http://youtu.be/QTU5re531Yg[/video]

M

Maudio

Enthusiast
+1 He is a unique song writer.
Just one today, not twenty...John Hiatt's "Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns". Hiatt is one of our best songwriters and has been covered a lot by other performers, but hearing Hiatt do his own music in that strange 100 year old sounding voice is a unique pleasure. Now and again, I pick up a Hiatt CD and it always ends up high on my playlist. This is no exception; his eccentric take on life and fine writing make this one more fine CD from a guy most people have never heard of.

K

kalikid2013

Audiophyte
A few of faves, in no particular order;

Jimmy Riddle, The Art of Compromise
Billy Cobham, Warning
Trevor Rabin, Can't Look Away
Zebra, Who's Behind The Door
Blue Man Group, The Complex
REM, Eponymous
Rush, Moving Pictures
Simon & Garfunkel, The Best Of
Yes, 90125
The Alan Parsons Project, The Best Of
Tom Kimmel, 5 to 1
Dweezil Zappa, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Simply fantastic:

Dario Castello, Giovanni Battista Fontana: Sonate concertate in stil moderno

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'll add a few more CDs. These are some of my favorites that I return to on a regular basis:

1. Vladimir Horowitz, Horowitz in Moscow: His Russian fans loved hearing him; you will too. This is a collection of short and very fun pieces.

2. Charlie Haden: Nocturne; Charlie Haden died recently. He has a beautiful sense of space. This is one of my all time favorite Jazz CDs as it is has a cool Latin infusion.

3. Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett, Jasmine: This is a really intimate recording as it was recorded in Jarrett's home.

4. Bob Dylan, The Best of the Original Mono Recordings: if you don't have any Dylan CDs, this is a great place to start. If you do, well you can never have enough.

5. Anna Netrebko, the Russian album: opera is, at least for me, very much an acquired taste. Sometimes I'm into it and sometimes I'm not. But this is a kick ass CD; there is a reason why this when to the top of the European pop charts for a while.

6. Alexi Murdoch, Time Without Consequence: I heard his music for the first time while watching Stargate Universe. I liked the music so much that I tracked down the CD. Man is this just a great CD.

7. Cinema Serenade, Itzhak Perlman and John Williams: yes you've heard these before which is only one reason why it is such a great CD.

8. Mercedes Sosa, Corazon Libre: if you like Spanish/Latin folk music, this is from a terrific artist when she was at the top of her game. It is meditative as is the case with Spanish guitar music.

9. Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabete, In the Heart of the Moon: you've probably never heard anything quite like this unless you are into world music. It does actually transport you into the heart of the moon.

10. Amos Lee, Mission Bell.

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
20 best sounding albums

Music Store

Excellent list and excellent description of the various choices. Thx for posting.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Can someone kindly tally up the 20 most common selections in this thread and post it or PM me so we can turn this into an editorial? Thanks.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I'll add a few more CDs. These are some of my favorites that I return to on a regular basis:

1. Vladimir Horowitz, Horowitz in Moscow: His Russian fans loved hearing him; you will too. This is a collection of short and very fun pieces.

2. Charlie Haden: Nocturne; Charlie Haden died recently. He has a beautiful sense of space. This is one of my all time favorite Jazz CDs as it is has a cool Latin infusion.

3. Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett, Jasmine: This is a really intimate recording as it was recorded in Jarrett's home.

4. Bob Dylan, The Best of the Original Mono Recordings: if you don't have any Dylan CDs, this is a great place to start. If you do, well you can never have enough.

5. Anna Netrebko, the Russian album: opera is, at least for me, very much an acquired taste. Sometimes I'm into it and sometimes I'm not. But this is a kick ass CD; there is a reason why this when to the top of the European pop charts for a while.

6. Alexi Murdoch, Time Without Consequence: I heard his music for the first time while watching Stargate Universe. I liked the music so much that I tracked down the CD. Man is this just a great CD.

7. Cinema Serenade, Itzhak Perlman and John Williams: yes you've heard these before which is only one reason why it is such a great CD.

8. Mercedes Sosa, Corazon Libre: if you like Spanish/Latin folk music, this is from a terrific artist when she was at the top of her game. It is meditative as is the case with Spanish guitar music.

9. Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabete, In the Heart of the Moon: you've probably never heard anything quite like this unless you are into world music. It does actually transport you into the heart of the moon.

10. Amos Lee, Mission Bell.
Just ordered a few of those- can't wait!
Cheers, Mac

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
Here's my list:

Carmen Gomes Inc. - Torn
Adele - Live at Royal Albert Hall
Jimmy Riddle - The Art of Compromise
Billy Cobham - Warning
Trevor Rabin - Can't Look Away
Zebra - Who's Behind The Door
Blue Man Group - The Complex
Duran Duran - Arena Vinyll
The Police - Synchronicity vinyl
Pearl Jam - Ten Vinyl
I see you have Torn from Carmen Gomes Inc at the top of your list.
I have just downloaded the new DXD recording, Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues, and I find it magnificent.
The SQ is exceptional and Carmen Gomes is singing even better than on Torn. And the guitar player is getting a lot of room to do his thing. Highly recommended.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
My list, in no particular order.

I love list like these!!!

Helps to discover great stuff. Thanks to Youtube, sampling is now made so easy... I'm going to go broke again with yet another Amazon spending spree... Oh well... I'll gladly sacrifice a few Pizzas.

Here's my list, in no particular order. It was really hard to stop at twenty, though... (All links to Discogs.com)

- Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon Multi-channel hybrid SACD
- Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time out Vinyl
- Dire Straits - Brothers in arms Vinyl
- Gregorian monks - Masters of chant
- Peter Frampton - Comes alive Vinyl
- Ray Brown trio - Soular Energy (w Gene Harris) Vinyl
- Kitaro - Silk Road Vinyl
- Nirvana - Nevermind
- Vangelis - Odyssey: The definitive collection
- Jean Michel Jarre - Houston/Lyon en Concert Vinyl
- Ennio Morricone - Once upon a time in the west OST, Vinyl
- Norah Jones - Come away with me
- Carole King - Tapestry Vinyl
- Duran Duran - Arena Vinyll
- The Police - Synchronicity vinyl
- Pearl Jam - Ten Vinyl
- Adele - Live at Royal Albert Hall BluRay live concert
- Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygène Vinyl
- Metallica ‎– Metallica
- Pink Floyd - Pulse DVD Live at Earls Court

quick question, you really think these are

20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't?

seems more like a list of albums we probably all own.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Here is my 10 "I am tired and cant sleep List "
1) The Duke Spirit - Neptune calls
2) Tori Amos - Boys from Pele
3) PJ Harvey - Is This Desire
4) Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
5) The Cystal Method - Vegas
6) Nico Vega - Self Titled
7) She Wants Revenge - Self Titled
8) Cake - B Sides and Rarities