2 HSU over 1 Rythmik

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just mirrors the information I've gleaned from reading up on subs over the years, as well as somewhat personal experience in using various subs in various setups/rooms...plus our general way of perception of frequencies that low....
And like you said, the deficiencies of given sub are what you notice most obviously. I’ve listened to plenty of subs by themselves and yes, they do sound more similar than different much of the time. But definitely not always. Ime anyway.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Fair points. By “running linear” I mean within the limits of each subwoofer. I agree with the trade offs point, as many cheaper subs will have a bump in the FR to sound more powerful or whatever, but they can still be running without distortion. Now you could say that the native FR of a sub isn’t linear so that could qualify as distortion. But they’ll still have different characteristics imo.
The same way JTR subs have a thickness or richness that’s just a little different. Definitely different than a BIC PL200.
The reason I mentioned anything was when you said a pl200 would sound like a Wilson(or insert whichever you like) I was like whaa? He be messin wit da noooob. No?
After getting a stereo integrity a few years ago I’m skeptical of any big brand sub . I mean a si 24” will annhialate a pbs ultra or whatever it’s called . A hsu duel combo easily no match , what ever happened to large drivers like maelstrom 21”? And why are drivers Ofer 15” so Less and less common ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
After getting a stereo integrity a few years ago I’m skeptical of any big brand sub . I mean a si 24” will annhialate a pbs ultra or whatever it’s called . A hsu duel combo easily no match , what ever happened to large drivers like maelstrom 21”? And why are drivers Ofer 15” so Less and less common ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the reason really big drivers aren’t common is they’re big and heavy and expensive, not to mention the cabs that house them have to be that much bigger. Even many DIYers don’t think they need that much, and aren’t interested in all that.

I’m interested in a pair of Rythmik fv18’s. But if I diy, I’ll use a pair of these.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So A little further into my time with these. I haven't been able to dial these in like I want them. I am getting a better blend and sound with my single Outlaw. Maybe it's the room. Not sure. One thing I do know that I tried using a single ULS placed in the same spot as the outlaw and got almost no bass response. So strange that the Outlaw gives such a good sound in the exact spot. :confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got any measurements to show what's happening? I highly, highly doubt you're getting more output from the Outlaw.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you do to "dial them in", both Outlaw and new subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sounds like there is some major cancellation going on. What are the phase switch settings on both subs? Try flipping one of the subs to an opposite phase setting and see what happens.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Got any measurements to show what's happening? I highly, highly doubt you're getting more output from the Outlaw.
No measurements. Not more output. Just better blend and sound. I will work it out.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Sounds like there is some major cancellation going on. What are the phase switch settings on both subs? Try flipping one of the subs to an opposite phase setting and see what happens.
I did this. Tried both ways and left it on 180 as it had the most output.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you've convinced yourself that the new subs are inferior for one reason or another. 2 subs should not underperform compared to a single. Seriously. I cannot imagine 2 Hsu subwoofers "not blending" or not sounding right unless they're not set up properly.

Too much reading about "musical" subs is ruining your enjoyment of a very nice setup, imo.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I think you've convinced yourself that the new subs are inferior for one reason or another. 2 subs should not underperform compared to a single. Seriously. I cannot imagine 2 Hsu subwoofers "not blending" or not sounding right unless they're not set up properly.

Too much reading about "musical" subs is ruining your enjoyment of a very nice setup, imo.
It's my set up. Just needs some tweaking.I will have to move them around a bit to see what works best as well. I'll get there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually spent some time with this very system... pretty nice, but insanely overbuilt...
A 1,000 Kw amp?! Is that a typo? Holy shit.

As with displacement vs precision of air movement, a good driver is essential, but it is nothing without power. On this Front, Rel has supplied the No.25 with a beefy 1,000 kW advanced class D amplifier that they have called a NextGen3 design.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's my set up. Just needs some tweaking.I will have to move them around a bit to see what works best as well. I'll get there.
Well, I know it's your setup, lol.

How are you dialing stuff in? Are you using all positional eq or a little DSP? Any kind of room correction? Did you try the sub crawl?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A 1,000 Kw amp?! Is that a typo? Holy shit.

As with displacement vs precision of air movement, a good driver is essential, but it is nothing without power. On this Front, Rel has supplied the No.25 with a beefy 1,000 kW advanced class D amplifier that they have called a NextGen3 design.
Yeah, it's a typo. It's a 1 kW amp, not 1 MW! :eek:

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Well, I know it's your setup, lol.

How are you dialing stuff in? Are you using all positional eq or a little DSP? Any kind of room correction? Did you try the sub crawl?
Remember this is a 2.2 audio only system. Running a normal Yamaha AS-1100. No calibration software or mini DSP used. Basically sub set 80hz cutoff. Running in the correct Phase, by ear. Moving the subs... Sub crawl. And finding out I like these subs set on EQ2 and the volume at 15%. Or 9:00. Anymore and they dominate the room and towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Remember this is a 2.2 audio only system. Running a normal Yamaha AS-1100. No calibration software or mini DSP used. Basically sub set 80hz cutoff. Running in the correct Phase, by ear. Moving the subs... Sub crawl. And finding out I like these subs set on EQ2 and the volume at 15%. Or 9:00. Anymore and they dominate the room and towers.
Okay, yeah I remember it's a 2 channel rig, but some folks will use a li'l DSP or RC. I couldn't recall which camp you're in. You're using the high level connections and the sub's low pass for a crossover, right?

I prefer eq 2 also, but with both ports open, and that makes sense for music too. You have a little bit less deepest bass extension, but a touch more output in the audible range. The nice thing about the VTF series is the tunability. They're really flexible, but take a little experimentation.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Okay, yeah I remember it's a 2 channel rig, but some folks will use a li'l DSP or RC. I couldn't recall which camp you're in. You're using the high level connections and the sub's low pass for a crossover, right?

I prefer eq 2 also, but with both ports open, and that makes sense for music too. You have a little bit less deepest bass extension, but a touch more output in the audible range. The nice thing about the VTF series is the tunability. They're really flexible, but take a little experimentation.
Hey. I have the ULS 15’s. Not the VTF.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Was more interested in specific settings on each....
Gotcha... Hard to tell sometimes the tone in a post. See above. Nothing out of the ordinary.
I am really curious to hook my Denon AVR up in this system and run Audyssey and see the outcome.
I have that option and may try it just to see. But I do love my Yamaha Integrated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis