Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Am I doing this right? So hypothetically, if my annual AGI is $60,000 under the new federal tax plan I would get the standard deduction of $12,000, bringing my taxable income to $48,000 at a rate of 22% which means before any tax credits my federal income taxes would be $10,560?
Roughly, the first 10k would be taxed at 10%, the next 30k at 12% and the last 8k at 22%. Federal tax would be around 6k

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
So, my wife isn't doing the diet for weight loss- I guess I'm technically not either since that's not what the program is for. Her and her doctor are trying to narrow down some other health issues and this could help determine some food sensitivities, etc. BUT, I am hoping to kickstart some better decision making for myself when it comes to food. I love to cook and I love to drink with food. It just starts to add up. I'm also about 6'1" and although pretty athletic, 240lbs on this frame is a little much. I'm looking to drop 25lbs. I like the Dawg's approach. Sustainability is key.
First of all, I wish you the best of luck and to your wife as well. I hope she reaches her goals. Personally, I find satisfaction in not taking part. Simply not participating in anything "lifestyle industry" throws at me. When I want to know about the impact of diet on ones health I go through heaps of scientific studies. What I find is that the impact is overexaggerated. Not even close, not nearly as linear as today's "wisdom" want you to think.

I just wanted to throw a spark your way and see if it catches on. I think first step towards being satisfied and at peace (not happy, I don't care much for happy), is to stop taking advice from the industry that thrives on people not being satisfied. Just flick that "I don't care about how you think I should live/eat" switch and move on. Gaining weight? - cut intake and increase activity, losing weight? - increase intake. Always eat as diverse as possible. Always combine those "pure joy" foods with those very healthy ones.

I eat what I want too. Keeps me at around 170lb at 6'2" so I'm still on the pretty thin side. According to my fitbit (not sure if I can trust it) I burn around 3000 calories a day doing almost nothing. My active days it shoots up quickly. People would always ask why I can eat what and as much of as I do and still look this way. I guess I just burn a lot more than most people.

That aside, I think our "do what I want" diet can still be harmful in other ways. Cholesterol and all the other things that can be wrong with us and cause health issues should still be taken into account. For all I know my blood sugar is super high and I've got high cholesterol. I doubt it, but it's still possible.
I feel guilty throwing my health at people's faces, but I have no problems. I just stay active (no gym, though). White sugar, red meat, white flour, wine, whiskey, cakes, all those killers :D:D Blood test sees me 15 years younger.

It's just moderation on my part. A day will go by when I eat nothing but a big salad (turkey breast, greek cheese, few fusili and all types of letuce, peppers, cucumbers, green onions and so on), but when I want to eat nothing but an enormous mortadela sandwich I always have a small bowl of olives, artichokes, chilli peppers and such aside, so it's always improved.

That's why when I have a "steak urge" I devastate a two pound stake and sleep peacfully.

I cook everything from scratch, but that's why when I want to go to KFC I take a bucket for two and stuff myself silly. No guilt.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
First of all, I wish you the best of luck and to your wife as well. I hope she reaches her goals. Personally, I find satisfaction in not taking part. Simply not participating in anything "lifestyle industry" throws at me. When I want to know about the impact of diet on ones health I go through heaps of scientific studies. What I find is that the impact is overexaggerated. Not even close, not nearly as linear as today's "wisdom" want you to think.

I just wanted to throw a spark your way and see if it catches on. I think first step towards being satisfied and at peace (not happy, I don't care much for happy), is to stop taking advice from the industry that thrives on people not being satisfied. Just flick that "I don't care about how you think I should live/eat" switch and move on. Gaining weight? - cut intake and increase activity, losing weight? - increase intake. Always eat as diverse as possible. Always combine those "pure joy" foods with those very healthy ones.

I feel guilty throwing my health at people's faces, but I have no problems. I just stay active (no gym, though). White sugar, red meat, white flour, wine, whiskey, cakes, all those killers :D:D Blood test sees me 15 years younger.

It's just moderation on my part. A day will go by when I eat nothing but a big salad (turkey breast, greek cheese, few fusili and all types of letuce, peppers, cucumbers, green onions and so on), but when I want to eat nothing but an enormous mortadela sandwich I always have a small bowl of olives, artichokes, chilli peppers and such aside, so it's always improved.

That's why when I have a "steak urge" I devastate a two pound stake and sleep peacfully.

I cook everything from scratch, but that's why when I want to go to KFC I take a bucket for two and stuff myself silly. No guilt.
You are correct in saying it's all about portion control. The size of meals some people eat has quite a lot to do with the state of their health.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I eat what I want too. Keeps me at around 170lb at 6'2" so I'm still on the pretty thin side. According to my fitbit (not sure if I can trust it) I burn around 3000 calories a day doing almost nothing. My active days it shoots up quickly. People would always ask why I can eat what and as much of as I do and still look this way. I guess I just burn a lot more than most people.

That aside, I think our "do what I want" diet can still be harmful in other ways. Cholesterol and all the other things that can be wrong with us and cause health issues should still be taken into account. For all I know my blood sugar is super high and I've got high cholesterol. I doubt it, but it's still possible.
I'm with you, 6' 4" 160. I eat what I want and people are jealous, me not soo much as I'd like to get to 180-190. I'm very active at work, a ton of lifting and walking. I think what is holding me back is I typically eat dinner around 930, bed at 1130. Up at 6 and dont eat much of anything till lunch around noon. If I eat in the mornings its usually granola type snacks. I slam all sorts of food, not too much junk.
Typically what I see from people who want to lose weight is that are afraid to eat big meals, instead they load up on miracle cereal bars and meal replacement shakes, never really eating any 'mass' starve your body and it will start to hold onto every gram of sugar it can.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm with you, 6' 4" 160. I eat what I want and people are jealous, me not soo much as I'd like to get to 180-190. I'm very active at work, a ton of lifting and walking. I think what is holding me back is I typically eat dinner around 930, bed at 1130. Up at 6 and dont eat much of anything till lunch around noon. If I eat in the mornings its usually granola type snacks. I slam all sorts of food, not too much junk.
Typically what I see from people who want to lose weight is that are afraid to eat big meals, instead they load up on miracle cereal bars and meal replacement shakes, never really eating any 'mass' starve your body and it will start to hold onto every gram of sugar it can.
Yeah your body type and mine are probably exactly the same. I was much skinnier in high school/college, but one I hit 30 I finally gained some weight. I can actually see a difference when I work out vs when I was younger. I still have to eat a ton too keep up though. I need to stop skipping breakfast as well.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Yeah your body type and mine are probably exactly the same. I was much skinnier in high school/college, but one I hit 30 I finally gained some weight. I can actually see a difference when I work out vs when I was younger. I still have to eat a ton too keep up though. I need to stop skipping breakfast as well.
Last years of high school I was up at 180, lifted all the time ate all day, first year of college I kept the same routine but increased my running and dropped to 150, stepped up the food big time got back to 160ish and have been stuck there since (12 yrs) I typically weight trained (used my body weight) never looked at bulking up, being tall and skinny makes it extremely difficult to do so. on a bench id rep 120 up to 190 and back down, my max was 220 which I thought was odd haha. Curls butterfly all those were single around 35-45, dual 85-120. Pull/push ups no one could top me. People would give me a hard time because of my size but I could keep up with them no issue, not to mention I was cut like crazy. Weight room is on my list when I purchase a house but of course the theater is #1 haha

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
For you foodies- trying to stay compatible. I’ve got some turkey and pork in the Sous vide and ground my own breakfast sausage today ‘cause the store bought stuff is off limits. I’m hungry and dying for a vodka tonic, but still going strong.
See, that's what I'm saying!! Do you go all the way through and stuff the sausage? What do you use?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
See, that's what I'm saying!! Do you go all the way through and stuff the sausage? What do you use?
I don't stuff it. This was just a breakfast sausage that can be browned/crumbled or formed into patties. I crumbled it and have been making breakfast bowls with eggs and diced potatoes.

I used a cheap pork roast. The spice mixture would over power a delicate pork flavor anyways. I trimmed away excess fat, ran it through the coarse grinder twice and added sage, fennel, smoked paprika, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. This might be one of the things I keep doing even after Whole30 is over. Its much better than the store bought stuff. Also started making my own mayo which is superior to the store bought jars. I'm trying with salsa, but some of the stuff you can buy is really good. I'm sure its mostly water weight, but I'm down 10lbs on day 6.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sure its mostly water weight, but I'm down 10lbs on day 6.
Congrats!! Way to go. As I said, I'm on your side (I write this while eating burek (sort of meat pie), it is 22:00 in my country:D:D:D:D, I'm drinking some suprisingly good Blaufrankisch). Sorry to do this.

Your seasoning sounds good to me as long as you don't use garlic powder and as long as you don't go too far with the garlic in the first place. One month ago I was on Croatian coast for some work (if you can call it that). When I was done with work I went to a konoba (traditional restaurant) which is connected with a small farm and 90% of menu relies on everything homegrown on this farm. It is an eko-farm. I tried some pork sausages made with salt and black pepper only, wind dried with no smoke... I've never tasted anything better in the entire sausage realm (and I come from a "sausage-region" continental Croatia).

It was three classes above anything I tasted.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
as long as you don't use garlic powder and as long as you don't go too far with the garlic in the first place. One month ago I was on Croatian coast for some work (if you can call it that). When I was done with work I went to a konoba (traditional restaurant) which is connected with a small farm and 90% of menu relies on everything homegrown on this farm. It is an eko-farm. I tried some pork sausages made with salt and black pepper only, wind dried with no smoke... I've never tasted anything better in the entire sausage realm (and I come from a "sausage-region" continental Croatia).

Thanks for Anthony Bourdain (rip) I learned about Croatian food fine cuisine

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats!! Way to go. As I said, I'm on your side (I write this while eating burek (sort of meat pie), it is 22:00 in my country:D:D:D:D, I'm drinking some suprisingly good Blaufrankisch). Sorry to do this.

Your seasoning sounds good to me as long as you don't use garlic powder and as long as you don't go too far with the garlic in the first place. One month ago I was on Croatian coast for some work (if you can call it that). When I was done with work I went to a konoba (traditional restaurant) which is connected with a small farm and 90% of menu relies on everything homegrown on this farm. It is an eko-farm. I tried some pork sausages made with salt and black pepper only, wind dried with no smoke... I've never tasted anything better in the entire sausage realm (and I come from a "sausage-region" continental Croatia).

I had planned on skipping garlic. I worked in small batches at first to see how the seasoning would work. I can't add any kind of sweetener- brown sugar or syrup would have been nice (traditional southern) and a lot of the recipes had garlic included in the spice mixture. I didn't use much (granulated garlic) it seems fairly balanced. Just another small kick of flavor. I could go either way on it. I also think the rosemary walks a fine line- the floral notes can be too forward. It might be something I experiment with more once this "diet" is over. For now, I just wanted sausage and given the limits, this fits the bill.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It was even cheaper before. The full price of $169 was partially offset by $50 gift card I had. Amazing deal.
Almost no plastic parts. Very metal and very much heavy. Also all the parts touches meat are stainless steel, so it's dishwasher safe.
Then your attachment cracks, replace it with lem grinder. Highly recommend it.
Not as expensive as I thought. Interesting. I've been grinding beef for a while now- something more robust could definitely be nice for grinding more. I've been pretty happy with the KA, but that looks pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We're not that kind of Cro but it wasn't until I started associating with some Dalmatians that I found out about sea food. I'm starving now. Thanks.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... and now I'm confused about what to eat. Quick run to the store for some steaks sounds like a little more work than I'm interested in but I'm worth it ... and people like me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well since this thread seems to have hit a bit of dry spell I'll spam it with some of my latest project.

The trenches with hand dug holes.

After 64 bags of 80lb sakrete.

Where things stand today

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's a thing of beauty right there. It reminds me of the Brazilian place we go to and order the "meat tray" Here is a picture after we have already been hammering on it. They tray has about 3 lbs of different beefs and is dirt cheap.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis