Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Blu-ray player reviews are a strange thing. It used to be that we tested all manner of video and audio quality characteristics using test discs and calibration gear. Well, some of us still do... When it's appropriate. Most of our readers already know who the big dogs are in that high-end market and if they want to pay $400 or more for a player, they're free to do so. But what about the rest of you - the rest of US? Well, the video quality is pretty much a done deal with HDMI. It's generally very good. That pretty much leaves features and aesthetics. Now, despite what I just said, I really do care about quality. But once we determine that the video and audio quality are excellent, as they are with this Sony BDP-S790, well, then I want to see what I get for my $230.

Discuss "Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player Video Review" here. Read the article.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I like a lot of the little net gadgets on my botton-feeding BDP. Pandora in particular. YouTube's OK. And the weather gadget's are OK too. Even Netflix, though it's an extremely pale imitation of what a Blu Ray disk can provide, is OK.

But anything that requires you to type text with a typical remote (Facebook, Twitter) is a complete waste of time, and allows you to have a 30-second conversation in 45 minutes.

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Hey there is no Spears and Munsil' video quality test or something of that like. It doesnt mention how well the player decodes video other than a
" the BDP-S790 is an excellent player " ....I need more scientific proof this player is worthy of my approximately $220 bucks! How well does the player do with DVD playback? Is its dynamic capability a 10/10 with the scale used for the review of Oppo players? We dont know! Also how good is the internal DAC in this player for two channel playback? Any listening tests with quantitative evaluations? It kinda of the reason why I visit audioholics.com!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered the Sony S590 from Amazon for ~ $115 (like-new + 1 day shipping). Will get it tomorrow. :D

I currently have Panasonic, but the Amazon Video sucks w/o Dolby Digital 5.1.

The Sony has both Amazon 5.1 HD & Netflix 5.1 HD. Will play with it tomorrow.

D

dpattillo

Junior Audioholic
I just ordered the Sony S590 from Amazon for ~ $115 (like-new + 1 day shipping). Will get it tomorrow. :D

Let us know how it performs. I was hopping for an Oppo but I just bought a $1700 utility trailer so I'm on a much lower budget for a couple months

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Let us know how it performs. I was hopping for an Oppo but I just bought a $1700 utility trailer so I'm on a much lower budget for a couple months
What key points are you looking for?

For me it's the streaming of 1080p HD/5.1 Dolby Digital movies from both Netflix & Amazon Video, which Oppo lacks (only has Netflix).

Panasonic BD only has 2.0 audio for Amazon video.

The BD playback performance is great from most new players. I never listen to SACD/ DVD-A anymore, so that's not even a factor for me. I think SACD/DVD-A is pretty much defunct especially with music concerts released in DTS-HD & TrueHD on BD. Why pay $500-$1000 for a relatively extinct format? Just bitstream the sound via HDMI and let your great AVRs do all the fantastic processing.

These days, I think $100-$150 for a BD/Media player is all I ever want to spend.

Last edited:
D

dpattillo

Junior Audioholic

For me it's the streaming of 1080p/5.1 DD movies from both Netflix & Amazon Video, which Oppo lacks (only has Netflix).

The BD playback performance is great from most new players. I never listen to SACD/ DVD-A anymore, so that's not even a factor for me.
My Samsung plasma (PN64E7000) handles the Netflix and amazon although the Samsung apps can be flaky at times. I need a good 3D blue ray with HDMI and digital outs. If I go for the lower end I might just pass on analog audio outs unless it has a killer built in DAC

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

For me it's the streaming of 1080p/5.1 DD movies from both Netflix & Amazon Video, which Oppo lacks (only has Netflix).

Panasonic BD only has 2.0 audio for Amazon video.

The BD playback performance is great from most new players. I never listen to SACD/ DVD-A anymore, so that's not even a factor for me. I think SACD/DVD-A is pretty much defunct especially with music concerts released in DTS-HD & TrueHD on BD. Why pay $500-$1000 for a relatively extinct format? Just bitstream the sound via HDMI and let your great AVRs do all the fantastic processing.

These days, I think $100-$150 for a BD/Media player is all I ever want to spend.
My older Panasonic doesn't have 5.1 Netflix either, AFAIK. If you already have a BD player, you can always add something like a Roku2/3 that has more streaming options than any player out there will and they cost less than most players. If you want a BD player too, then the current Panasonics are my favorites, but at this price Sony will work just as well.

I listen to SACD and DVD-A often, so that's a requirement for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Samsung plasma (PN64E7000) handles the Netflix and amazon although the Samsung apps can be flaky at times. I need a good 3D blue ray with HDMI and digital outs. If I go for the lower end I might just pass on analog audio outs unless it has a killer built in DAC
I also looked at Samsung, but there were way too many bad user reviews.

I think it's best to bitstream the sound to AVRs, which usually have awesome DAC performance. I wholeheartedly believe that the DAC in $1K+ AVRs will perform every bit as great as the DAC in the OPPO flagship. Unequivocal in my mind.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My older Panasonic doesn't have 5.1 Netflix either, AFAIK. If you already have a BD player, you can always add something like a Roku2/3 that has more streaming options than any player out there will and they cost less than most players. If you want a BD player too, then the current Panasonics are my favorites, but at this price Sony will work just as well.

I listen to SACD and DVD-A often, so that's a requirement for me.
I don't see the point of a $100 Roku when a $130 Sony 3D BD player can stream 1080p/5.1DD Netflix & 1080p/5.1DD Amazon + YouTube, Hulu, Vudu, Pandora, etc, plus play BD, DVD, CD, & SACD.

The spec on this Sony S590 also lists "SACD" playback, which I guess isn't a big surprise since SACD is a Sony/Philips proprietary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome! do you have to turn your head from side to side to see the whole picture? :D
No, but I do have to move my eyes from side to side :eek: and wear sunglasses during the daylight scenes on the beach. :cool:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Yep I hope you enjoy it. I have the Sony BX59 It's the same model and features as the 590 just different model number. I'm loving mine. With Roku I can't get Netflix 5.1 only stereo, but works with Amazon It's 5.1. I think the Roku only supports 5.1 DD+ with Netflix, I think my receiver HK 247 is not DD+ capable. Netflix DD+ did work with my Onkyo 707 though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see the point of a $100 Roku when a $130 Sony 3D BD player can stream 1080p/5.1DD Netflix & 1080p/5.1DD Amazon + YouTube, Hulu, Vudu, Pandora, etc, plus play BD, DVD, CD, & SACD.

The spec on this Sony S590 also lists "SACD" playback, which I guess isn't a big surprise since SACD is a Sony/Philips proprietary.
Depends on the player. I found that not all players stream the same. That's why I actually use my PS3s for streaming, because they do it better than everything else I've tried short of a PC. If you are only looking for those primary services, then sure a player is fine, but there are HUNDREDS of streaming channels out there that are not available on most players including the PS3.

Yep I hope you enjoy it. I have the Sony BX59 It's the same model and features as the 590 just different model number. I'm loving mine. With Roku I can't get Netflix 5.1 only stereo, but works with Amazon It's 5.1. I think the Roku only supports 5.1 DD+ with Netflix, I think my receiver HK 247 is not DD+ capable. Netflix DD+ did work with my Onkyo 707 though.
DD+ should be compatible with any DD processor IMO. My old 8300 came out long before DD+ and has no issues with it; it sounded pretty good actually. I presume you have it connected HDMI?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
DD+ should be compatible with any DD processor IMO. My old 8300 came out long before DD+ and has no issues with it; it sounded pretty good actually. I presume you have it connected HDMI?
Yep and Nope Roku Netflix 5.1DD+ does not work with the HK 247, but with the Sony and Panny it does. I'm hoping and patiently waiting with the Roku software update they can fix that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So Roku works w/ Amazon 5.1, but does NOT work w/ Netlix 5.1 for you?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is pretty odd that one works and the other does not, so it sounds like a receiver issue. Which Roku do you have? I have a 2XS and with the UMC, both work. I have not checked for the update yet, but got an email from Roku saying it would be out next week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis