Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player Video Review

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to find how to set the video black level on the 3100, but I haven't found it, yet. I was wondering why the Netflix video looked worse than it did on the PS3, and then I realized it was because the black levels are different. I kind of fixed it with a setting on the TV, but I'd rather have the two of them output the same video to begin with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to find how to set the video black level on the 3100, but I haven't found it, yet. I was wondering why the Netflix video looked worse than it did on the PS3, and then I realized it was because the black levels are different. I kind of fixed it with a setting on the TV, but I'd rather have the two of them output the same video to begin with.
Hmm, I didn't set the black level at all. PQ looked great already so I didn't even mess with it.

C

canelli

Audioholic
I calibrated my tv a while back, and the Sony looks really good. I will go back and try calibrating with the Sony and see if there is a difference.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Either the NAS I use for streaming decided to start reporting mp4 videos as M2TS or Sony did a firmware upgrade and I didn't notice. After days of flawless playback, the Sony started seeing mp4 files as M2TS. The Sony then got confused trying to play the mp4 as a M2TS and started reporting every mp4 file as a corrupted M2TS. This happened right after my wife tripped the power switch on the battery backup causing the NAS to crash. After about an hour of total frustration, I renamed all the mp4 files to avi and everything is back working.

I did recently upgraded the OS and some of the installed software to my NAS. I am guessing that after the reboot, the updates finished and created the fairly short lived problem.

Either way, thought I would pass along the problem and solution.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That might be your NAS. I just confirmed that my 3100 plays mp4 files off of the USB drive as MPEG4 files. One of them it plays as an AVC file - but I can't say for sure that it wasn't improperly named (I downloaded that one, but I created the other one yesterday as an mp4 file, so I know). Are you sure that your files with an .mp4 suffix actually are mp4 files?

C

canelli

Audioholic
Are you sure that your files with an .mp4 suffix actually are mp4 files?
All the files except for one were downloads from youtube. The one odd ball was a straight rip of Wall-E. If you know of a utility to identify the media type, I would be happy to check the files and post the results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis