Do all amplifiers sound the same thread

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
PENG, I meant exactly that.. Competently designed amps, receivers, not bottom of the line all in one special.
Funny how the title of the thread is "Do all amplifiers sound the same thread" then, and not "Do all competently designed receivers and amps, not bottom of the line all in one specials, sound the same thread".

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A. You're not just limiting speakers, you're limiting output levels as well.

B. I don't know about you, but I don't pick speakers based on their impedance curve. I pick speakers based on their sound, and then pick an amplifier suitable for driving that load. Telling me that receiver X sounds as good as a Krell into an easy 8 ohm load at moderate volumes means nothing if the speaker I like isn't an easy 8 ohm load and I like to listen loud.
Like I've been saying you match capabilities of an amp to the load you drive. I've been stating this as well but I guess you are not getting it. You arguing agianst the premise of this whole thread. Don't dismiss something factual that may not fit into your personal life style. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny how the title of the thread is "Do all amplifiers sound the same thread" then, and not "Do all competently designed receivers and amps, not bottom of the line all in one specials, sound the same thread".
Its an audio forum. That should be your first clue. :rolleyes: Many people here got it. You are being pendantic just to be difficult? Nice.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ya, but that's a very long thread title :D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
If you add a power amplifire it makes it louder :D
So there's your answer no they do not

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
"the crosstalk turned out to be much higher than I would have liked, lying just below –40dB across the band". :eek:

No thanks! Most AVRs have lower crosstalk than that! :D

The ATI have crosstalk of -100dB from 20Hz-20kHz.

I'll stick to Krell & the higher-end Mark Levinson if I were a billionaire. :D
Agree but I would not waste my money on Levinson or Krell... I'd stick to ATI since I have heard a Levinson amp next to my ATI ( same thing) with my speakers and they sounded the same at the same volume. If I were a billionaire I for sure would be buying something besides silly audio equipment.:D:cool:

Maybe this sounding different stuff is all connected to the earth magnetic poles, the weather, drugs, Mayans, UFO abductions who knows :D just turn your equipment on and just listen to music. As a dumb man said, " it's rather simple until you make it difficult "

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Agree but I would not waste my money on Levinson or Krell... I'd stick to ATI since I have heard a Levinson amp next to my ATI ( same thing) with my speakers and they sounded the same at the same volume.
Levinson has lost their way, IMO, but if you look at the design of the Krell amps they go beyond what ATI did, even with the AT3000. I'm also not convinced they would sound any better in my system in my room than the AT3000, but having looked inside a Krell 402e I've got to say that the engineering is breathtaking. 4400VA of power transformer capacity, rated for 1.6K watts into 2 ohm loads, bias current high enough that it idles at 390 watts. Would it sound better than a 3002? I don't know, but the design is so cool I'd like to own one just to look at it sit there. :) The 900e monoblocks take craziness to a whole new level. As with expensive wrist watches that don't tell time any better than a Seiko, sometimes you just get turned-on by an outrageous solution because it's cool.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Levinson has lost their way, IMO, but if you look at the design of the Krell amps they go beyond what ATI did, even with the AT3000. I'm also not convinced they would sound any better in my system in my room than the AT3000, but having looked inside a Krell 402e I've got to say that the engineering is breathtaking. 4400VA of power transformer capacity, rated for 1.6K watts into 2 ohm loads, bias current high enough that it idles at 390 watts. Would it sound better than a 3002? I don't know, but the design is so cool I'd like to own one just to look at it sit there. :) The 900e monoblocks take craziness to a whole new level. As with expensive wrist watches that don't tell time any better than a Seiko, sometimes you just get turned-on by an outrageous solution because its cool.
There's a lot to be said for coolness...i Like you I woudd be admiring the Krell from within if I had the scratch.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
There's a lot to be said for coolness...i Like you I woudd be admiring the Krell from within if I had the scratch.
They are "nice", but ya need a forklift to move them :eek: and they are known to be rather warm and require some re-wiring of the house hold circuit due to the amperage these amps draw. But if you can afford these amps, a little wiring and a higher power bill really doesn't matter.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
PENG, I meant exactly that.. Competently designed amps, receivers, not bottom of the line all in one special. Thanks for the vote.

I didn't think that I would have to qualify competently designed in an Audio forum but there are those here who like to argue just for the sake of arguing... real value added :rolleyes:
I do believe depending on the speaker even competently designed receivers will not be able to match a competently designed amp.

My MB Quarts I am told are a difificult 4 ohm load. I drove them for years with an HK AVR7000, which has a very robust amp and well know for it's power capabilities. I upgraded to an EMO XPA-3 and I can tell a huge improvement in sound at nearly all listening volumes.....so I tend to think it is a very complicated answer and there is truth to buying an amp that will be able to support the needs of a particular speaker.

Just my inexperienced $0.02. :cool:;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I do believe depending on the speaker even competently designed receivers will not be able to match a competently designed amp.

My MB Quarts I am told are a difificult 4 ohm load. I drove them for years with an HK AVR7000, which has a very robust amp and well know for it's power capabilities. I upgraded to an EMO XPA-3 and I can tell a huge improvement in sound at nearly all listening volumes.....so I tend to think it is a very complicated answer and there is truth to buying an amp that will be able to support the needs of a particular speaker.

Just my inexperienced $0.02. :cool:;)
I , and others on this forum do not get "huge" improvements at lower spl, from amps more powerful amps than yours. We probably will never know why some reported such improvements while others don't. We can all speculate the reasons but that would be just based on educated guess at best.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I , and others on this forum do not get "huge" improvements at lower spl, from amps more powerful amps than yours. We probably will never know why some reported such improvements while others don't. We can all speculate the reasons but that would be just based on educated guess at best.
My educated guess would be lack of gain matching, lack of proper testing between old and new, and more people than you'd think that are looking for validation of their purchase. It's not easy on the ol' ego if that $7500 amp you bought made no audible improvment - or change - in your sound system. I know I wouldn't be happy...

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Now I know why

Posted by KEW
Hell Walter, as hard as you drive amps, this statement is tantamount to saying
"Every amp, when begging for mercy, has its own, unique shriek of agony.
"

It took KEW to set me straight why all amps sound different to me, thanks KEW.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
All I know is I can tell a difference, I bought my XPA3 used for $500 and bought my HK new for $1000 at the time....So I am not trying to justify a purchase by any means...just stating my experience.

One other thing to point out I did use my Onkyo 805 between the two and the 805 did not even come close to the HK and as mentioned the XPA beat both out. I have also moved to a new home with the XPA and the 805 but have not used the HK in my current home since I do not own it any longer. So maybe the HK in my new home with a better amp core than the 805 would be closer to the XPA.

Like it has been mentioned....not a simple answer of yes or no....just a lot of it depends.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hell Walter, as hard as you drive amps, this statement is tantamount to saying
"Every amp, when begging for mercy, has its own, unique shriek of agony."
:D:D:D
Oh, this is super, ROTFLMAO:D:D:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

At the same time, it's still problematic to declare that "all amplifiers sound the same" based on restricted testing, ie into an easy load at low SPL levels...
No one is saying "all amps sound the same."
Tests are restricted to be fair. You cannot exceed the design limits as then you are not testing the amp's capability but what happens when you go beyond it. How is that a fair test?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis