Do all amplifiers sound the same thread

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Lets round that up to the nearest cent :D

However, as a music lover, don't let bad recordings sway you away from good goups/music....ie like teh Raveonettes. Awesome band!! Poor recording.... still love it. :)
Maybe that is why Pre's have A/B speaker switches. Put some (relatively) mediocre speakers on B and you've got an easy fix when the bad recordings start to grate!

The level of enjoyment I can get from listening to good music on a decent boom box makes me wonder about the money I've invested in high fidelity gear.

Our minds do a pretty good job of ignoring the shortcomings on a normal system and realizing the beauty of the music. It takes deliberate effort to listen critically for flaws in the system or recording.

Conversely, an excellent system rubs our faces in the shortcomings of the recording.

The enemy is us! :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Our minds do a pretty good job of ignoring the shortcomings on a normal system and realizing the beauty of the music. It takes deliberate effort to listen critically for flaws in the system or recording.

Conversely, an excellent system rubs our faces in the shortcomings of the recording.

The enemy is us! :eek:
*plugs my ears* I can't hear you!!! :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
However, as a music lover, don't let bad recordings sway you away from good goups/music....ie like teh Raveonettes. Awesome band!! Poor recording.... still love it. :)
Absolutely, I fully agree with you on this, good music + hifi sound qualtiy is more enjoyable than good music + average or bad qualtiy sound quality but good music of even below average sound quality is much more enjoyable than bad music + top hifi sound quality. Again, that's just my 2 cents (rounding as requested:D), and by "good" I mean "good" for me only, naturally a subjective thing.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Lets round that up to the nearest cent :D

Lol, yeah, I'm the same way. I like great sound, but, I listen to plenty of bad recordings and rarely care. lol. Only ones that bother me are some of the indie bands that purposely clip in mastering to make it sound even worse. Then I'll just wait and see them live lol.

gBabu7

Audiophyte
I'm trying to prevent the incorrect assertion of amps sound different" as a broad statement that fits all speakers and that people should upgrade their amplfication to improve upon the sound. My assertion is that amps will sound different only if their load is difficult to drive or the environment that the speakers are in or used for..large room/loud sound. I want to see qualifications behind statements to make it more accurate.
Well, I am in the process of exploring this area by keeping all the variables same - means, same room size (L25xW14xH8.5). Same speakers (F52s/C52/S30s/Sunfire TGA-5200/SVS PB12 Plus/PS3 as the source).
I am ordering a Emotiva XPA-2 - 140w/channel, to drive my surrounds. Wanted to have XPA-3 for 2 Mains and Center, but Emotiva doesn't have bi-wiring options for Volts/Currents. Hence, skipping that route.
I would try to find out if there is difference while I connect my Sunfire and pump 200w to the Surround, then try XPA-2 with 140w. Then will run Sunfire for all 5 channel. Finally add XPA-2 to run Surround and drive Mains and Center using Sunfire.
This will give me 4 different scenarios where all the other variables will be the same. Will post the results as soon I am done with this.
Did anyone here do any similar test so far? If yes, will compare notes!
BTW, I am getting a Revel Voice 2 to replace my C52 soon. I hope it would be fun, since I do 75% HT...

gBabu7

Audiophyte
I'm trying to prevent the incorrect assertion of amps sound different" as a broad statement that fits all speakers and that people should upgrade their amplfication to improve upon the sound. My assertion is that amps will sound different only if their load is difficult to drive or the environment that the speakers are in or used for..large room/loud sound. I want to see qualifications behind statements to make it more accurate.
Well, I am in the process of exploring this area by keeping all the variables same - means, same room size (L25xW14xH8.5). Same speakers (F52s/C52/S30s/Sunfire TGA-5200/SVS PB12 Plus/PS3 as the source).
I am ordering a Emotiva XPA-2 - 140w/channel, to drive my surrounds. Wanted to have XPA-3 for 2 Mains and Center, but Emotiva doesn't have bi-wiring options for Volts/Currents. Hence, skipping that route.
I would try to find out if there is difference while I connect my Sunfire and pump 200w to the Surround, then try XPA-2 with 140w. Then will run Sunfire for all 5 channel. Finally add XPA-2 to run Surround and drive Mains and Center using Sunfire.
This will give me 4 different scenarios where all the other variables will be the same. Will post the results as soon I am done with this.
BTW, I am getting a Revel Voice 2 to replace my C52 soon. I hope it would be fun, since I do 75% HT:)...

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
BTW, I am getting a Revel Voice 2 to replace my C52 soon. I hope it would be fun, since I do 75% HT:)...
What are you using to level-match the amps?

Are you getting a friend to do the switching for you and hide which amp is running to reduce perceptual bias?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall

I am totally lost here, XPA-2 to drive surrounds (300 watts into 8 Ohm load) with the S30's and FS52's , is your LCR all FS52's and S30's surrounds? Where are you getting this 140 W/C XPA-2? Do you mean XPA-200? Is the Sunfire a multi-channel amp @ 200 W/C? Please explain what you are trying to achieve, may be I missed something:confused: As JL stated, how do you plan on level matching all these amps and speakers to make any type of logical accessment? Thanks:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Did anyone here do any similar test so far?
I attempted to compare two amps using two identical pairs of speakers side by side. I had a set up that allowed me to level match (within "1 db" resolution of volume controls) and switch instantly between amps-speakers.
Unfortunately, the only conclusion I could make was that the change in physical location between the two pairs of speakers was audible and dominated over any differences between amps that might exist.
I was pretty excited about hearing differences - until I swapped amps and those differences stayed with the speakers instead of sticking with the amps.:rolleyes:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was pretty excited about hearing differences - until I swapped amps and those differences stayed with the speakers instead of sticking with the amps.:rolleyes:
I worded that poorly. What I mean is when I disconnected amp A from Speaker A and connected amp A to Speaker B (and amp B to speaker A) the preferred SQ stayed with the same pair of speakers that originally sounded better.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I attempted to compare two amps using two identical pairs of speakers side by side. I had a set up that allowed me to level match (within "1 db" resolution of volume controls) and switch instantly between amps-speakers.
Unfortunately, the only conclusion I could make was that the change in physical location between the two pairs of speakers was audible and dominated over any differences between amps that might exist.
Placement will always interfere.

The closest I can come to getting two sets of speakers to sound the same is to set them up AB AB (so that each speaker of one pair is to the right of each speaker of the other). It at least prevents "one outside, one inside".

But what is really needed is something capable of switching (and preferably level matching) amps. Jim Salk was using such a device at the GTG. It was a very cool piece of kit. (He and I spent some time level-matching the speakers with it)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Placement will always interfere.

The closest I can come to getting two sets of speakers to sound the same is to set them up AB AB (so that each speaker of one pair is to the right of each speaker of the other). It at least prevents "one outside, one inside".
That is the way I had the speakers positioned. I was impressed with how big of a difference that ~12" to the right change in location made to SQ!
While totally worthless for discriminating between amps, It was a good education!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
When you say "mountains", do you mean no WiFi, do Data, no iPads so you can check in on AH or emails? :eek:
Just got back, what fun and yes I now know, I can survive without Wifi, Data, ipads and my iphone as there was NO signal at all. :cool:

PS: no booze was consumed either.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do all amps sound the same? :eek:

Hell, no! All new amps sound much better - wider and deeper soundstage, faster & punchier bass, sweeter highs, cleaner midrange - just a lot fresher and newer sound. :D

And if you have a $20K Mark Levinson or Krell, the sound is also euphoric...even without the booze. :D

Disclaimer: you must not level match and do DBT since bias is part of the listening experience.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
They also have that amazing NEW Electronics Smell that you can not put a $$ value on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis