Infinity Primus P363 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Not if it was an honest friendship.:D
Heavy, man!

You should edit your post and say "This aggression will not stand, man!" LAWL

I've been on a Lebowski kick lately!

I think the best looking speaker (of the speakers I could live with happily) is the TAD R1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best looking speaker (of the speakers I could live with happily) is the TAD R1.

I can live with those. But I don't think they look $80K. They look more like $25-30K to me.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I can live with those. But I don't think they look $80K. They look more like $25-30K to me.
Why don't they look 80K? They have a fantastic cabinet an amazing finish (I've seen it in person).

I don't think Wilson audio speakers look like they should for their price. They look 80s....not the good 80s....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why don't they look 80K? They have a fantastic cabinet an amazing finish (I've seen it in person).

I don't think Wilson audio speakers look like they should for their price. They look 80s....not the good 80s....
Yes, the TAD look awesome.

None of the ultra-expensive speakers really look that expensive to me. :D

Huge markup IMO.

They should not cost more than a Lexus LS/LX. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

Huge markup IMO.

I understand the TAD...the Wilson...no comment.

I understand the TAD simply because of the quality of the parts, and the research it took to get there. I don't get Wilson because they make outlandishly priced speakers, and ignore all the perceptual research that's been done in the last X amount of years. I consider it shameful! :D

That cabinet is VERY VERY expensive to produce. It's HUGE, curved, very very very very well braced. Not to mention the The TAD has 11K worth of drivers.

Now add all the R&D and a healthy 40% dealer markup.

The TAD costs around 20K to build I'd wager. This falls within the markup as I know it. The markup supposedly goes like this: cost * 2.5 = dealer cost. Dealer cost * ~2 = retail. If you do the math the TAD comes out to around 16K. Since the drivers alone are 11, I'd say that sound pretty close to accurate. 16 * 2.5 = 40,000. That's the approximate dealer cost. It's the giant markup that ****s us! I think 50K for a pair of TAD R1 would be a pretty good deal. I mean, it's one of the best loudspeakers in the world, and there are MANY MANY speakers priced MUCH higher with no sonic upgrade. Would I like to see the TAD priced at 10K? F*CK yes, but even the parts cost is more!

Not the LFA? xD

Last edited:
96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic

Huge markup IMO.

You have a very impressive line up speakers, whats the most you paid for a pair?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So anyway, among cheap speakers I guess the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are probably best bang for the buck "accurate" speakers?

Infinity P363 @ around $300/pr street prices probably 2nd best bang for buck?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
So anyway, among cheap speakers I guess the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are probably best bang for the buck "accurate" speakers?
I like the Pioneers. They are definitely the best value. After the Pioneers, I don't really know what I'd recommend...even up to 1K. I don't like most 1K and below speakers. Most have sub-par designs.

I like the Pioneer because they have a decent FR, AND controlled directivity for only $129/$258. Aside from those, most speakers in that price range have high XO points and big cheap drivers resulting in directivity/polar response being a nightmare!

Some have smaller drivers (which helps) but they are usually cheap so volume is very limited if the design isn't of high sensitivity.

Cambridge has a pretty decent BS speaker for cheap!

Infinity P363 @ around $300/pr street prices probably 2nd best bang for buck?
I'm not a fan of the p363. I would only recommend them if I was very desperate to come up with something.

The Primus does the old "raise the bass and raise the HF" thing. The HF are raised to give a more forward (the true usage) sound. Once people take those home and listen for a while, it will probably get a bit annoying. If anything it will sound "off". I don't like that they did this to increase box store sales. Pioneer made a truly sweet speaker for a similar price, and we recommend them left and right. I'm sure sales are great!!

Do they still play drums at Long Beach on Sunday? Good times.
I'm about 2 hours from Long Beach. No idea. :p

Good times.
Only if you were stoned :p LOL

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
I'm jumping into this conversation a bit late but...

I just ordered a pair of Infinity Primus 363s a few days ago. They are currently in transit and I should have them by Wednesday. I've never had any experience with speakers really. The only ones I've really ever owned were good for loud volumes and that is about it (old dept. store type kabuki style stuff) and I've been itching to upgrade so I bought the P363 due to the price point and reviews.

Now the thing that concerns me is that they are advertised as an 8 ohm speaker but this review clearly concluded it as a 4 ohm speaker. I have a Scott 390R receiver that will be powering these speakers. Anyone think this would be a good match or did I mess up?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm jumping into this conversation a bit late but...

I just ordered a pair of Infinity Primus 363s a few days ago. They are currently in transit and I should have them by Wednesday. I've never had any experience with speakers really. The only ones I've really ever owned were good for loud volumes and that is about it (old dept. store type kabuki style stuff) and I've been itching to upgrade so I bought the P363 due to the price point and reviews.

Now the thing that concerns me is that they are advertised as an 8 ohm speaker but this review clearly concluded it as a 4 ohm speaker. I have a Scott 390R receiver that will be powering these speakers. Anyone think this would be a good match or did I mess up?
Sean Olive can answer better than anyone here.

But in my experience, I think you'll be fine if it is a real 50wpc or more, like a 50wpc HK AVR.

BTW, I think my P362 sound pretty good- not as great as my Revel, B&W, KEF, Orion, etc, but pretty good overall.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I just ordered a pair of Infinity Primus 363s a few days ago.
How much did you spend on them, and where did you get them?

How loud do you listen?

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
How much did you spend on them

How loud do you listen?

I got them at about 50% off. I know there have been better deals in the past but its the holidays and I usually end up making a nice impulse purchase on myself since I restrain myself virtually the rest of the year.

I listen anywhere between bedroom levels to loud really. The Scott 390R outputs 120WPC.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I got them at about 50% off. I know there have been better deals in the past but its the holidays and I usually end up making a nice impulse purchase on myself since I restrain myself virtually the rest of the year.

I listen anywhere between bedroom levels to loud really. The Scott 390R outputs 120WPC.
Where did you buy them?

50% off is a good deal!!

I've read the Scott 390R can handle 4 ohms. I'm not really sure how true that is. You're probably gonna be ok.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis