Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
You know us all too well :D

I can only imagine. Everything you do to work on the woofer, you're also affecting the tweeter. The woofer's own VC inductance and DCR might affect the tweeter too.
Grant, most but not all of us are too young to remember, I'm too old to remember anything. :eek:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis,
Have you ever considered designing an alternate woofer module for the Phils with the fundamental intent of pairing it with a subwoofer?
I'm guessing you could get a good 7" driver designed for a sealed cabinet and put it in a smaller box and have good FR down to 70-100Hz.
It would address much of the WAF and cut cabinet and shipping costs. I don't know how many of your customers are using subs with their Phil2&3 speakers, but just wonder if it would make sense to have such an option without the size and cost of the T-L design (while assuring the same SQ from the mid-tweet module).
Just wondering - you've already got my money!:)

Cheers,
Kurt

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis,
Have you ever considered designing an alternate woofer module for the Phils with the fundamental intent of pairing it with a subwoofer?
I'm guessing you could get a good 7" driver designed for a sealed cabinet and put it in a smaller box and have good FR down to 70-100Hz.
It would address much of the WAF and cut cabinet and shipping costs. I don't know how many of your customers are using subs with their Phil2&3 speakers, but just wonder if it would make sense to have such an option without the size and cost of the T-L design (while assuring the same SQ from the mid-tweet module).
Just wondering - you've already got my money!:)

Cheers,
Kurt
I think a sealed modiule with an f3 of only 70 Hz would be too extreme in the opposite direction. And it still wouldn't score very high in the WAF department. I wouldn't want to offer anything that would have to be paired with a sub, because some people would just not want to use a sub for music, but might be willing to accept more limited bass reach than the big Phil's--say an f3 in the mid-to-high 30's. Anyhow, that's the plan Stan. I have a tower model just waiting for Del to catch up with Phil 3 orders (you cheapskates all ordered in mass just before prices went up). Then he can build me a prototype cabinet so I can do the crossover. It will be conventional in appearance, with a hopefully high WAF, but will still feature an open-back midrange. The woofer will be the ScanSpeak Revelator 6.5", and the tweeter the same RAAL that's in the other Phil's. I can't use the Neo 8 planar mid, because the cabinet would be too tall, and there would go the WAF. I'm thinking of a certain 3.5" titanium mid with a small neo magnet that
would have fairly open air flow to the rear. It would still be expensive because of the Scan and the RAAL. It could be done much cheaper with an SB Acoustics 6.5" woofer and a Fountek ribbon tweeter (an improved version that wouldn't fit in the pre-cut baffles for the Phil 1), so I may offer two versions.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I think a sealed modiule with an f3 of only 70 Hz would be too extreme in the opposite direction. And it still wouldn't score very high in the WAF department. I wouldn't want to offer anything that would have to be paired with a sub, because some people would just not want to use a sub for music, but might be willing to accept more limited bass reach than the big Phil's--say an f3 in the mid-to-high 30's. Anyhow, that's the plan Stan. I have a tower model just waiting for Del to catch up with Phil 3 orders (you cheapskates all ordered in mass just before prices went up). Then he can build me a prototype cabinet so I can do the crossover. It will be conventional in appearance, with a hopefully high WAF, but will still feature an open-back midrange. The woofer will be the ScanSpeak Revelator 6.5", and the tweeter the same RAAL that's in the other Phil's. I can't use the Neo 8 planar mid, because the cabinet would be too tall, and there would go the WAF. I'm thinking of a certain 3.5" titanium mid with a small neo magnet that
would have fairly open air flow to the rear. It would still be expensive because of the Scan and the RAAL. It could be done much cheaper with an SB Acoustics 6.5" woofer and a Fountek ribbon tweeter (an improved version that wouldn't fit in the pre-cut baffles for the Phil 1), so I may offer two versions.
Great to hear the new plans. Anyhow, i hope the bottom section wont be as big and the depth wont be as deep ad the phil. Titanium midrange? Sounds like it is from Tangband, could it be the one used in receng Jim small monitor?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Great to hear the new plans. Anyhow, i hope the bottom section wont be as big and the depth wont be as deep ad the phil. Titanium midrange? Sounds like it is from Tangband, could it be the one used in receng Jim small monitor?
Hi. There won't be any bottom section. It will be a one-piece tower around 44" high. Small footprint. The Salk line has two titanium mids--a Tanband and a Visaton. I have one of those in mind. The price of the cheaper tower will be well South of $2.000. The drivers in the more expensive one are around $1100 more per pair, so I can't bring that version in very cheaply. Diminishing Returns City.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Hi. There won't be any bottom section. It will be a one-piece tower around 44" high. Small footprint. The Salk line has two titanium mids--a Tanband and a Visaton. I have one of those in mind. The price of the cheaper tower will be well South of $2.000. The drivers in the more expensive one are around $1100 more per pair, so I can't bring that version in very cheaply. Diminishing Returns City.
Does it require any certain distance with that height? I would guess that the tweeter would sit pretty high with a tweeter top layout. In case if the tweeter is too high, can the layout be flip with the mid driver, so the mid will be at the top with the tweeter in the middle?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
maybe I missed it in your response, will these have the same footprint as the Songtowers but with a raal

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
maybe I missed it in your response, will these have the same footprint as the Songtowers but with a raal
Hi They'll be roughly the same footprint as the ST. Probably a little larger to keep height down. I haven't finalized anything about this design, because the prototype still has to be built.

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
I was just wondering....

Hi Dennis. My name is Dale and I waiting 'patiently' in line for my Philharmonic 3s. Del received my check for his part of the process on Sept. 13th. I am not trying to rush this at all, I have read the threads that let me know how busy Del is. I am just asking for a 'ballpark' ETA....such as Thanksgiving:):)

Thanks, Dale.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi Dennis. My name is Dale and I waiting 'patiently' in line for my Philharmonic 3s. Del received my check for his part of the process on Sept. 13th. I am not trying to rush this at all, I have read the threads that let me know how busy Del is. I am just asking for a 'ballpark' ETA....such as Thanksgiving:):)

Thanks, Dale.

Hi Dale I'm afraid Del got buried by the rush of orders to beat the July price increase. And then he moved the entire operation into a bigger shop, and he just got it up and running. Hopefully yours will arrive before your Thanksgiving turkey does. I've lined up a backup cabinet maker and perhaps I can shift you over to him. What kind of finish did you decide on?

G

groovytunes58

Audiophyte
Hi Dennis,

I finally settled on Premium Quartered Cherry. Thanks so much for giving an update. Thanksgiving would be great:)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi Dennis,

I finally settled on Premium Quartered Cherry. Thanks so much for giving an update. Thanksgiving would be great:)
I'll sure try. That finish would be difficult for my backup guy to do quickly, so I think we'll have to stick with Del. I'll keep after him. Cheers

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Guys, today I was at the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses concert at the sellout crowd at the Jubilee Auditorium here in Calgary. Well first of all it was ****ing amazing and we had three encores because everyone was so hyped up.

Anyways it made me realize something.

The Philharmonic speakers are ****ing perfect.

That is all.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Guys, today I was at the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses concert at the sellout crowd at the Jubilee Auditorium here in Calgary. Well first of all it was ****ing amazing and we had three encores because everyone was so hyped up.

That is all.
Glad to know you're having such fun listening to them :D.

Just curious, what is the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses? Would that be an arrangement of music from a video game for symphony orchestra?

Will there be The SuperMario Overture coming soon, or would that be The Plumber of Seville? :D ;)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

That is all.
They're coming to Cali soon, maybe i'll convince my family to go. :D :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to know you're having such fun listening to them :D.
Well the level of diffuseness and width and depth and space of the image is just spot on.
Horns sound like horns, drums feel and sound like drums (my 18" sub has a bit to do with that of course) winds sounds like wind and strings, well you get the picture.

It says a lot when you can sit down at the Auditorium and think "hey, this sounds like my basement" :D

Sure there were differences - but only to the extent you can chalk up to mixing and mic'ing differences on the brass, piano, and chimes. No such thing as a perfect recording.

Just curious, what is the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses? Would that be an arrangement of music from a video game for symphony orchestra?
Basically... of course it's heavily rearranged. Familiar enough to evoke emotion and nostalgia, but much more complex than the 8 and 16 bit origins ;P

The performers were apparently were all local - the producer and conductor being the tourers.

Will there be The SuperMario Overture coming soon, or would that be The Plumber of Seville? :D ;)
Lol. I'm not sure the earlier Mario stuff lends itself the same way to something like this - but you would be shocked how good the Mario Galaxy Soundtrack is. Kouji Kondou is truly a mastermind.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you like hiphop, and would like something with the old-school 8 bit flavor.... try to find "Got Game" by "No Question". It used to be a free download from their site (I'm too lazy to look for it now). Hip hop over 8 bit beats from marble madness, california games, guantlet, etc etc

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis,
How did Philharmonic Audio fair re: Sandy?

Thanks,
Kurt

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis,
How did Philharmonic Audio fair re: Sandy?

Thanks,
Kurt
I guess the weather gods thought Washington had paid its dues this summer, and we pretty much got spared. Lots of rain, but not that much wind. I never lost power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis