Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Those are with a light stain and the satin finish. The other speakers you linked to are maple with no stain and it was just a little too blonde for me. So I sent Del a few pictures of unstained bamboo speakers and asked him to try and match that natural bamboo color, because I love it and he nailed it. The speakers came out exactly like a light natural bamboo. Light, like maple, but with a little golden warmth as well.

The pictures don't really show the exact color, they look better in natural sunlight. The spot where you can see the flash in the second picture and the left side/underneath the midrange in the first picture are the closest to how they look in person in bright or natural light.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely would like to end up with about that same tint.
Damn! This is going to be a long wait!!!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well whatever you want, Del can probably do it. Just try to have pictures or something to go buy. You can even reference my speakers to him as a starting point and say lighter or darker if thats the right color and you want maple

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Knowing his opinions are likely controlled by advertising revenue and the associated politics makes anything he says suspect.

Dennis may be right that the normal room modes may have caused the issue, but you would think he would be pretty attuned to that by now.
So correct, even at the shows he still pushes the equipment in the magazine and $15,000 CD payers & turntables. But in good business you never bite the hand that feeds you.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Slow sounding lows usually means they take longer to decay than the mid and upper frequencies; in other words, they are tight and fast. A waterfall plot can show such. With that said, transmission lines aren't notoriously slow, so I think John was just using geek speak. There was likely a room resonance or peak causing the "issue" he heard. Or maybe he just couldn't say all good things about a speaker company that doesn't pay him advertising money.

On to the positives: he mentioned Dennis' speakers for the second year in a row, something he didn't have to do at all. Let's not overlook that, as it speaks volumes to the sound quality of Dennis' speakers.

Dennis,

What configuring were you running the midrange chambers for the show?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Slow sounding lows usually means they take longer to decay than the mid and upper frequencies; in other words, they are tight and fast. A waterfall plot can show such. With that said, transmission lines aren't notoriously slow, so I think John was just using geek speak.
That used to be the audiophile complaint about ported speakers too.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
The younger, handsomer, more improved Clint Eastwood, I might add (until I receive my speakers!)!! :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
It's when lows are... present.
Hi. Clint here. That's my stage name. I'm actually a retired economist heading toward Chapter 11 with some jive turkey loudspeaker operation. Anyhow, I just posted this on AVS:

I retrospect, I think I know what John was talking about. Richard can back me oup on this. After we hauled everything over to the room and got things working (on the first try--go figure), I cycled through my demo CD and told Richard I was happy, except that the midbass
seemed a little thick, particularly on one of the tracks John heard when he visited. Unlike most of the rooms, I used absolutely no treatments. We got what the room threw at us , and it had an alcove to the left that probably contributed to a midbass mode. But it wasn't a big deal, and I didn't hear
any other comments about it. I was very happy with the way things went. Murphy's law usually reigns with a vengeance at these affairs, and I emerged largely unscathed. Also, let me take this opportunity to thank Richard Swerdlow and Travis Groves (and his magic white van) for helping me move all that stuff from the
Wehawken studios to the Crown Plaza Hotel and back. I would have been dead in the water without them, and they couldn't have been more willing and supportive. Thank you Thank you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hi. Clint here. That's my stage name. I'm actually a retired economist heading toward Chapter 11 with some jive turkey loudspeaker operation. Anyhow, I just posted this on AVS:

I retrospect, I think I know what John was talking about. Richard can back me oup on this. After we hauled everything over to the room and got things working (on the first try--go figure), I cycled through my demo CD and told Richard I was happy, except that the midbass seemed a little thick, particularly on one of the tracks John heard when he visited. Unlike most of the rooms, I used absolutely no treatments. We got what the room threw at us , and it had an alcove to the left that probably contributed to a midbass mode. But it wasn't a big deal, and I didn't hear any other comments about it. I was very happy with the way things went. Murphy's law usually reigns with a vengeance at these affairs, and I emerged largely unscathed. Also, let me take this opportunity to thank Richard Swerdlow and Travis Groves (and his magic white van) for helping me move all that stuff from the Wehawken studios to the Crown Plaza Hotel and back. I would have been dead in the water without them, and they couldn't have been more willing and supportive. Thank you Thank you.
I can confirm what Dennis said. We could hear an emphasis in the midbass (the lower strings on a standard guitar) on some music. It varied as we moved to and fro, convincing me that it was a room mode and not the speakers.

I can't believe no one commented on the glow-in-the-dark speaker cables Dennis used in the show. They are an experimental model. Apparently the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has some issues to settle before they can be sold ;).

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I can't believe no one commented on the glow-in-the-dark speaker cables Dennis used in the show. They are an experimental model. Apparently the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has some issues to settle before they can be sold ;).
I presumed these were for Stereophile's benefit :)

In other news, could there BE a worse idea for home theater setups?? I hope they are marketing this only to the 2-channel crowd that still drives classic VW vans with custom paint jobs and Led Zeppelin blacklight posters on the inside.

But hey, if it improves audio quality, sign me up! :rolleyes:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Since that picture went up I've been trying to figure what the heck those were.

Now I know.

Now I WANT :D

I'll trade Dennis new website for those cables :p

M

mr littlejeans

Enthusiast
On to the positives: he mentioned Dennis' speakers for the second year in a row, something he didn't have to do at all. Let's not overlook that, as it speaks volumes to the sound quality of Dennis' speakers.
And he was pretty favorable towards them othewise. All in, nothing to be upset or feel bad about.

Have you guys seen his comments posted today on Stereophile towards some of the other speakers out there? He certainly isn't holding any punches.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I presumed these were for Stereophile's benefit :)

In other news, could there BE a worse idea for home theater setups?? I hope they are marketing this only to the 2-channel crowd that still drives classic VW vans with custom paint jobs and Led Zeppelin blacklight posters on the inside.

But hey, if it improves audio quality, sign me up! :rolleyes:
Now, now. Those are the Element cables, which have material in them that reflects the flash. They look like any other welll-built speaker cable in real life. And thinks very much to Anthony of Element Cable for sending them. As I mentioned, they are extremely well fabricated and don't cost all that much.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I can confirm what Dennis said. We could hear an emphasis in the midbass (the lower strings on a standard guitar) on some music. It varied as we moved to and fro, convincing me that it was a room mode and not the speakers.
This sounds very reasonable, and someone with the experience and sheer intelligence of JA should have made that comment, and not supposing "slow bass" that he's often heard from transmission line designs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis