Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How annoying! :)

I am a little concerned that your better may not be the same as my better, which is why I dislike buying any speaker without hearing them, but I suppose it is time to send Dennis an email.
Where are you located?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How annoying! :)

I am a little concerned that your better may not be the same as my better, which is why I dislike buying any speaker without hearing them, but I suppose it is time to send Dennis an email.
Everyone's "better" is different.

The Phil3 just seems clearer, if that is even possible.

I was in denial the past few months.

I guess it's like someone preferring the JTR speakers over their Studio2 speakers. Everyone is different.

Or someone saying their SHO-10 is 90% of their Abbey.

Everyone's "better", "same", or "90%" is different for sure.

Trust only your own ears. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In that case I'll give you $3000 a pair for both the Orion's and the Salon2's.:)
I'm a collector. I will never sell my Salon2, Orion3, 201/2, Phil3, dual Funk Audio, dual SX-1010N, dual Rythmik, & dual Velodyne SC600.

Well, I just sold my PL-200 sub today via Craigslist for $150 cash. :eek:

Probably won't sell my P362 either. :D

I'm also in the market for B&W 802. :eek:

It's like collecting stamps & coins. :D

No way I'm selling my Salon2 or Orion3.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a collector. I will never sell my Salon2, Orion3, 201/2, Phil3, dual Funk Audio, dual SX-1010N, dual Rythmik, & dual Velodyne SC600.

Well, I just sold my PL-200 sub today via Craigslist for $150 cash. :eek:

Probably won't sell my P362 either. :D

I'm also in the market for B&W 802. :eek:

It's like collecting stamps & coins. :D

No way I'm selling my Salon2 or Orion3.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, the decision has been made! I have to get a pair of these!
I am trying to choose a good veneer. I thought I remembered seeing a pair (under construction) in walnut that I liked. Does anyone know any searching shortcuts to get images from this thread or remember the walnut speaker image.
Thanks,
Kurt

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, the decision has been made! I have to get a pair of these!
I am trying to choose a good veneer. I thought I remembered seeing a pair (under construction) in walnut that I liked. Does anyone know any searching shortcuts to get images from this thread or remember the walnut speaker image.
Thanks,
Kurt
Theres no consolidated list per se of all the speaker pictures.

You may be able to find what you're looking for here though.

CLICK HERE

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
That would be these:

I still think someone should try a blue-stained waterfall bubinga philharmonic

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Well I am sure he is in the same country you are in. How about guys in Canada, like Ontario, do we have any hope?[/QUOT

I've sent several speakers to Canada, including Ontario. Several people have picked them up at the border, but I've also shipped directly. It adds about $400 in fees to the cost.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've sent several speakers to Canada, including Ontario. Several people have picked them up at the border, but I've also shipped directly. It adds about $400 in fees to the cost.
Would that be for the heavier Philharmonic 3? I guess I could tell a lie to the boss and say we are going to see the falls from the other side and then by chance there would be a pair of speakers to pick up on the way back. Come to think of it there will be another boss to get through, namely the custom officer, soooo complicated...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thursday afternoon, I helped Dennis haul two pairs of Philharmonic speakers, Phil 2s & the new Phil 3s to the Capitol Audio Fest hotel.

He also had his CD player, and examples of the top of the line electronics from Audio by Van Alstine: a Fet Valve Hybrid DAC, a Fet Valve Hybrid preamp, a Fet Valve 600R amplifier, and as back-up a Synergy 450 amp.

Once we got it all hooked up it all sounded great. The room, a small hotel conference room, is roughly 25×25 feet. It had fairly good acoustics, with a small amount of liveliness, and a minor midbass emphasis.

Today was the first day of the show, so the new Phil 3 cabinets have been shown to the public. My first impression is that the new Phil 3 sounds the same as the previous Phil 3, but the cabinet has a more pleasant appearance.

I'll go tomorrow and will take pictures.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was starting to convert to the church of Phil, but I can't handle a $500 increase for, what, an angle on the front edges? I'm just too cheap. Tooooo cheap.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I believe the extra money isn't just for the angle dear Adam :D

Probably just Dennis padding his wallet :p

On a more serious note I think Del is getting a good chunk of the increase for all the effort he's putting in to making those beautiful cabs

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I believe the extra money isn't just for the angle dear Adam :D
From a consumer standpoint, is there more?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against folks getting what they're due, and I'm in no position to say what the speakers are worth. I'm just saying that I was getting very intrigued at $3k a couple of weeks ago, and from my perspective, it's now $500 more for the same performance and a minor aesthetic tweak.

I'm the kind of person that won't buy something if I know that it was on sale but I missed it, though. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The front and rear surfaces of the bass box on the new cabinet lean backwards a bit. Its a parallelogram box instead of a rectangular box. It has the same volume inside, but it gives the appearance of protruding less into the room. I imagine its more difficult to build.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
From a consumer standpoint, is there more?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against folks getting what they're due, and I'm in no position to say what the speakers are worth. I'm just saying that I was getting very intrigued at $3k a couple of weeks ago, and from my perspective, it's now $500 more for the same performance and a minor aesthetic tweak.

I'm the kind of person that won't buy something if I know that it was on sale but I missed it, though. :D
I don't think you're being fair. I think at $3000/pair Dennis is probably including some $20 bills in the deal. Building custom anything always costs more than you think.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you're being fair.
I don't think that you read my post. :) I specifically mentioned that I want people to get what they are due and that I'm in no position to say what they are actually worth, only that to ME it's not worth another $500 for some angles.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis