Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I used to teach the economics of regulation, and there's no substitute for competition. So I'm sure PEPCO could have done far better over the years. I'm just trying to stay objective about my personal situation. But if they don't show up tomorrow, shove this objectivity stuff.
You're being far too kind to PEPCO.

They've neglected maintaining or improving their power network for over 20 years while paying rather large dividends to its share holders. Among the shareholders were, of course, the company's executives. After getting dragged through the coals about a year ago by the public, politicians, and newspapers, they finally began a more active maintenance program. But they have a long way to go before they redress all their intentional neglect. Recently they had the nerve to ask the Public Utilities Commission for a rate increase! All this while they are running extensive advertising on TV and newspapers claiming how wonderful they are. In addition they are running a multimillion dollar lobbying campaign with the local Maryland & DC governments.

So, I feel I am being objective about them, and I think we should descend on the private home of PEPCO's CEO with torches & pitchforks. And I got my power back after a little under 24 hours last Saturday! No electricity has meant no air conditioning in a place where its been 95° or more for the last 10 days.

Dennis, you are welcome at my house. How easy would it be to bring your work? I'll help you carry as much stuff as fits in my car.

Richard

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the Phil 2 dream has died for the time being as the wife's job was terminated. Was a very large worldwide corporation, seems like things are not getting much better yet. Just had 2nd kid also, but good thing we have planned ahead for times like this, just didn't equate new PHil 2's into that...in hindsight......
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully things work out for you and yours.

Cheers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So, I feel I am being objective about them, and I think we should descend on the private home of PEPCO's CEO with torches & pitchforks.
Hee, hee...I got a good chuckle from that. Thanks, Richard! :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
You're being far too kind to PEPCO.

They've neglected maintaining or improving their power network for over 20 years while paying rather large dividends to its share holders. Among the shareholders were, of course, the company's executives. After getting dragged through the coals about a year ago by the public, politicians, and newspapers, they finally began a more active maintenance program. But they have a long way to go before they redress all their intentional neglect. Recently they had the nerve to ask the Public Utilities Commission for a rate increase! All this while they are running extensive advertising on TV and newspapers claiming how wonderful they are. In addition they are running a multimillion dollar lobbying campaign with the local Maryland & DC governments.

So, I feel I am being objective about them, and I think we should descend on the private home of PEPCO's CEO with torches & pitchforks. And I got my power back after a little under 24 hours last Saturday! No electricity has meant no air conditioning in a place where its been 95° or more for the last 10 days.

Dennis, you are welcome at my house. How easy would it be to bring your work? I'll help you carry as much stuff as fits in my car.

Richard
OK--PEPCO sucks. There-- I said it. Now they'll NEVER hook me back up.
Anyhow, thanks very much for the kind offer. It really isn't practical to get everything I would need to your air conditioned quarters, but I do appreciate it. On the brighter side, a sound engineer with a big white van stopped by last week to listen to the 2's and 3's, and he's offered to drive stuff over to the show on Thursday. I'll still need some extra hands and cargo space, so you're more than welcome to drive that big Volvo over to the Wehawken studios Thursday afternoon. Thanks very much!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. This kind of thing never happens at a good time.

Underground cable is a great thing.
Like anything...it gets complicated when theory becomes practice.:)
Here is a link that some may find interesting. Should the U.S. Electric Grid be Underground? | Maas Media -
Thanks. I'll check it out. On my FREAKING DESKTOP BILL GATES COMPUTER.
Yesssssssssssss. See, I told you Pepco wasn't so bad. I'm back on line, 24 hours early. Or 72 hours late, depending on how you look at it. And Fios works, despite the lines being down all over the front yard. Excellent. To work!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These Philharmonic speakers truly sound absolutely amazing. Last set of speakers you will ever buy. :D
That statement....coming from you?
Say it ain't so!
It ain't so...clearly you missed this thread.
Doh! Busted! :eek: :D

Well, I did say "last speaker YOU will ever buy, not I will ever buy. :D

I hate to disappoint you guys, but I've been hunting down 802Ds. :eek:

Then I could compare them to the Phil3. That's the only reason. I mean. You know. :D

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Anyone have any leads on a killer pair of 2's? Must be killer but would make life quite enjoyable (it already is, but this may cure stress....)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. I'll check it out. On my FREAKING DESKTOP BILL GATES COMPUTER.
Yesssssssssssss. See, I told you Pepco wasn't so bad. I'm back on line, 24 hours early. Or 72 hours late, depending on how you look at it. And Fios works, despite the lines being down all over the front yard. Excellent. To work!
That's certainly good news!

Today it was only 105°, maybe 104° in the shade. Your AC has had a week off, but now it has its work cut out. Enjoy :).

You aren't they only person around here who developed paranoid fears that PEPCO kept a list of unhappy and outspoken customers who got extra slow service.

We thought PEPCO stood for Potomac Electric Power Company, but since deregulation, it is actually Pakistani Electric Power Company. "You'll find our bribery rates outmatch our service."

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You aren't they only person around here who developed paranoid fears that PEPCO kept a list of unhappy and outspoken customers who got extra slow service.

We thought PEPCO stood for Potomac Electric Power Company, but since deregulation, it is actually Pakistani Electric Power Company. "You'll find our bribery rates outmatch our service."
PEPCO even got blasted in the Economist this week. See page 32, Taken by Trees.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been comparing the Phil3 to the Salon2 & Orion3 listening to Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City's "Betrayal" and "Out of My Hands".

For some reasons I prefer the sound of the Phil3 over the other speakers. :eek:

I don't know why. It just sounds more lifelike or something. Just personal preference I guess.

So I guess I'm kind of saying the Phil3 is like the best sounding speakers I have ever heard in my life or something. Weird. :eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've been comparing the Phil3 to the Salon2 & Orion3 listening to Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City's "Betrayal" and "Out of My Hands".

For some reasons I prefer the sound of the Phil3 over the other speakers. :eek:

I don't know why. It just sounds more lifelike or something. Just personal preference I guess.

So I guess I'm kind of saying the Phil3 is like the best sounding speakers I have ever heard in my life or something. Weird. :eek:
Cool. Is this true across a range of recordings, or just a few? If it is just a few it can be indicative of a fortuitous coloration. For example, the Legacy Focus I owned for many years sounded better than any speaker I had ever heard on many solo piano recordings. Using live recordings I made I was 90% confident that the Legacys were actually colored, and the coloration just happened to make pianos sound better than live.

If the Phil 3s sound more lifelike over a range of recordings they probably are actually better. (And if that's what you really think, I just may have to finally order a pair.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. Is this true across a range of recordings, or just a few? If it is just a few it can be indicative of a fortuitous coloration. For example, the Legacy Focus I owned for many years sounded better than any speaker I had ever heard on many solo piano recordings. Using live recordings I made I was 90% confident that the Legacys were actually colored, and the coloration just happened to make pianos sound better than live.

If the Phil 3s sound more lifelike over a range of recordings they probably are actually better. (And if that's what you really think, I just may have to finally order a pair.)
It's like this on every song I listen to - I mean the kind of music I like, which is like Classic Rock, Alternative, Pop, Dance, Classical, some Jazz.

I don't listen to heavy metal, country, or rap. But I listen to pretty much most music.

I've tried to say this before, but I would end up deleting the post because it sounds ridiculous that I could think the Phil3 sounds better than the Salon2 & Orion! :eek:

Who the hell would believe that? :eek:

I wouldn't even believe myself.

I keep telling myself a $22K & $15K speaker should sound better! That should be easy to do since it's 100% biased and not blinded.

It's like coming out of the "closet" or something! :eek:

Hell, no, I'm NOT gay, but the Phil3 are straight up better! :eek:

I feel like deleting my post again because it doesn't seem right. :D

I guess the RAAL is THAT good?

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

For some reasons I prefer the sound of the Phil3 over the other speakers.

So I guess I'm kind of saying the Phil3 is like the best sounding speakers I have ever heard in my life or something. Weird.

It's like this on every song I listen to - I mean the kind of music I like, which is like Classic Rock, Alternative, Pop, Dance, Classical, some Jazz.

I don't listen to heavy metal, country, or rap. But I listen to pretty much most music.

I've tried to say this before, but I would end up deleting the post because it sounds ridiculous that I could think the Phil3 sounds better than the Salon2 & Orion! :eek:

I keep telling myself a $22K & $15K speaker should sound better! That should be easy to do since it's 100% biased and not blinded.

In that case I'll give you $3000 a pair for both the Orion's and the Salon2's.:)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

How annoying! :)

I am a little concerned that your better may not be the same as my better, which is why I dislike buying any speaker without hearing them, but I suppose it is time to send Dennis an email.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis