Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Yes he did, and you're probably right. His Phil's are a different design, though, being open back midrange and all. I really like what that does to the sound stage but didn't get to hear it in all its glory. I want another shot! :D
Capital Audio Fest! Several members of the mid-Atlantic DM fan club will be there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
From Del: Hey everyone. Got a call from Dennis yesterday to let me know that he's out of power as a result of a storm that blew through the area Friday night. He doesn't know how long he'll be out of power so he wanted me to let everyone here know that he won't be able to send out any speakers this week. If someone here who's a member of the other forum, Audioholics I think it was, would post this info about Dennis, he would appreciate it. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go, but I am home all weekend with the kids solo; the wifey is attending a dance conference from Thursday through Saturday. Maybe next year...
My wife has to go to a few work (computer programming) conferences a year. Plus trips to our chicken farm in Texas like 6 times a year. I have to baby sit solo all those times.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My wife has to go to a few work (computer programming) conferences a year. Plus trips to our chicken farm in Texas like 6 times a year. I have to baby sit solo all those times.

My wife god bless her is working and supplementing my retirement, but when she retires at a young age of 57 in 22 months life changes here in my little world. .:D

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
So I got the chance to hear some Salk towers a few weeks ago and was amazed by them. I would love to hear the Phil 2's if there is anyone in the Omaha area that has them. Does anyone here know if someone has them around the area? I would LOVE to own a pair of either, but am really interested in the Phil's.

THX,
AC

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My wife god bless her is working and supplementing my retirement, but when she retires at a young age of 57 in 22 months life changes here in my little world. .:D
Does that mean no more speakers and amps? :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I got the chance to hear some Salk towers a few weeks ago and was amazed by them. I would love to hear the Phil 2's if there is anyone in the Omaha area that has them. Does anyone here know if someone has them around the area? I would LOVE to own a pair of either, but am really interested in the Phil's.

THX,
AC
These speakers just sound so ultra crystal clear. And they image so well.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Adtg

So I am surrounded with Paradigm as the CI store I work for has them as our main line. That doesn't mean though that I try to push them on anyone or feel like that is the "best" speaker for others. I have a high interest in Salks's or Phils's, though some here may not like that too much. If I could afford a pair I would pick them up without a doubt. Hopefully someday I will, I love the sound of the RAAL tweeter. Just wanted to clear that up since I do post on here much more now and want people to know that just b/c I work for a pdm dealer I am not a "fanboy". Love reading yours and others posts, thank you for such good convo. I do hope to find someone here with Phil's, would also be nice to find a used pair.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
So I am surrounded with Paradigm as the CI store I work for has them as our main line. That doesn't mean though that I try to push them on anyone or feel like that is the "best" speaker for others. I have a high interest in Salks's or Phils's, though some here may not like that too much. If I could afford a pair I would pick them up without a doubt. Hopefully someday I will, I love the sound of the RAAL tweeter. Just wanted to clear that up since I do post on here much more now and want people to know that just b/c I work for a pdm dealer I am not a "fanboy". Love reading yours and others posts, thank you for such good convo. I do hope to find someone here with Phil's, would also be nice to find a used pair.
In comparision to Paradigm speakers I've heard, the most immediate subjective difference is that the Philharmonics throw a deep soundstage about 2-4 feet behind the speakers, while the paradigms throw a "shallow" soundstage about 3-4 feet in front of the speakers.

Last friday I took all the stuffing out and moved the phils into the room. It would be exaggeration to use audiophile hyperbole, but I can say I'm really happy with what I hear.

I did find a song where I was maybe detecting some compression at higher SPLs. It may have been the recording or even the room, though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These Philharmonic speakers truly sound absolutely amazing. Last set of speakers you will ever buy. :D

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
the most immediate subjective difference is that the Philharmonics throw a deep soundstage about 2-4 feet behind the speakers,
If you reverse the phase of both of the channels then the Phils will throw a soundstage a couple of feet in front of the speakers. To be clear, just connect the negative output of the amp to the positive terminal of the speakers and the positive output of the amp to the negative terminal of the speakers. (EDIT: Both channels so to keep the speakers in phase with each other.)

I have mentioned this before, but nobody has tried it and confirmed or refuted this. :rolleyes:

Bob

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
If you reverse the phase of both of the channels then the Phils will throw a soundstage a couple of feet in front of the speakers. To be clear, just connect the negative output of the amp to the positive terminal of the speakers and the positive output of the amp to the negative terminal of the speakers. (EDIT: Both channels) I have mentioned this before, but nobody has tried it and confirmed or refuted this. :rolleyes:

Bob
Well, at least I have an excuse this time. I'm going on day four without power and a heat index of 105. I finally checked Ben into a kennel and me into a Marriott. I'm afraid this is putting a damper on finishing speakers and preparing for the Capital Audion Fest. I'm not expected to get power back until Friday. It's panic mode at Philharmonic Audio. Thanks for all the patience buyers are showing. Now all I need is Da Powa.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If you reverse the phase of both of the channels then the Phils will throw a soundstage a couple of feet in front of the speakers. To be clear, just connect the negative output of the amp to the positive terminal of the speakers and the positive output of the amp to the negative terminal of the speakers. (EDIT: Both channels so to keep the speakers in phase with each other.)

I have mentioned this before, but nobody has tried it and confirmed or refuted this. :rolleyes:

Bob
I don't have any Phils to test with, but I'll bet an "eat crow" post that reversing phase will not change the soundstage.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
I don't have any Phils to test with, but I'll bet an "eat crow" post that reversing phase will not change the soundstage.
I have been through this argument before. It doesn't make any sense to me either. I just know what I hear. ;)

Bob

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
... 30 minutes later my conclusion is... it sounds the same. If there was any difference, reverse polarity maybe sounded a bit "blurry" or "muted" in the upper midrange. But given how unreliable acoustic memory and sighted, non instant switching is, i wouldn't even go as far as to say that.

I will say though that I heard no shift in apparent voice or instrument placement.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
... 30 minutes later my conclusion is... it sounds the same. If there was any difference, reverse polarity maybe sounded a bit "blurry" or "muted" in the upper midrange. But given how unreliable acoustic memory and sighted, non instant switching is, i wouldn't even go as far as to say that.

I will say though that I heard no shift in apparent voice or instrument placement.
That's what I would have expected. My previous CD Player / Preamp (Levinson #39) had a phase reversal button on the remote control. Instantaneous phase reversal was easy. I was crazy about that unit, but in 15 years of use and through three different speaker systems with dramatically different sound staging I never heard any differences in sound from reversing phase whatsoever. It was a completely useless feature.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Hanging with the kids solo is always a lot of fun for me, so I don't mind. Go figure it's the weekend of CAF, though. :( Oh well. I'll be at RMAF, so I really hope Dennis finds a way to make it.

Well, at least I have an excuse this time. I'm going on day four without power and a heat index of 105. I finally checked Ben into a kennel and me into a Marriott. I'm afraid this is putting a damper on finishing speakers and preparing for the Capital Audion Fest. I'm not expected to get power back until Friday. It's panic mode at Philharmonic Audio. Thanks for all the patience buyers are showing. Now all I need is Da Powa.
Stay cool Dennis and here's to hoping life gets back to normal soon. Cheers!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Time to invest in a nice generator. Where's FEMA when we need them, national emergency if the Phils are delayed :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis