Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think so. I'm using a hand held $60 digital Galaxy SPL meter measured in C-weight (Slow Response). The peak I've measured was 93dBC.
Well, if it's the meter I think it is, it's digital and has fast and slow modes, so perhaps not.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I think so. I'm using a hand held $60 digital Galaxy SPL meter measured in C-weight (Slow Response). The peak I've measured was 93dBC.
Aren't you suppose to be on vaction in Cancun WTH did you bring the laptop along for...:D
BTW saw pictures of the resort...looks real nice...;)

Enjoy the vaction...:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aren't you suppose to be on vaction in Cancun WTH did you bring the laptop along for...:D
BTW saw pictures of the resort...looks real nice...;)

Enjoy the vaction...:)
Thanks. Great Parnassus resort isn't bad, except for all the Yamaha pro cab speakers. I wish they had JBL or Yorkville or similar. :D

Can't live w/o internet. Down time. Can't be in the ocean or pool all the time. :D

I brought 1 HP laptop for my 9 yr old, 1 Motorola Xoom for 10 yr old, 1 Xoom for me, & wife uses her EVO 4G. :eek: :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I see that Phil 3 pricing is going up to $3500 per pair after July 12, so if you're on the fence it looks like the time to order is now.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I see that Phil 3 pricing is going up to $3500 per pair after July 12, so if you're on the fence it looks like the time to order is now.
That's right, although $200 of that is for a new cabinet style that involves more labor. I'll have pics of that on my site in a couple of days. It's not a big-deal-difference. We've just tried to get a bit more motion into the form.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
So does GranteedEV have any concrete news regarding a pair of Phil2 someone may be getting like anytime soon? ;) :D
:( Unfortunately..the only ""concrete"" news I've got for you, is that these sound ****ing sweet. I was so apprehensive about spending my year's earnings on ANOTHER pair of speakers, and add another 30% apprehension from nuance et al's experience with the recessed midrange.... but after four hours of listening... worth every cent. So many moments where I'm like "that sounds so ****ing correct" or "damn... that makes the EMPs sound ****ing muddy on that sequence". Mind you, many of these are tracks i've heard many times over on different systems. On some tracks, they've got the resolution of headphones, except with more defined high frequencies. Totally tiny things like triangles and cymbal crashes just jump out at you, yet it doesn't affect vocals. I've got one foam pad on the raal. I guess the best way to describe it, is like that first move from "speakers with no tweeter" to "speakers with a tweeter". that's saying a lot, considering the praise Gene had for the EMPs in his review, as well as his review of the Infinity primus that our local revel/orion/kef/philharmonic owner praises ;).

....But while the raal is a great tweeter, I have to say the star of the show is the blend between this midwoofer and midrange. It's just so...... correct. These are some surprisingly dynamic speakers. I don't think I heard any compression listening to music.

As for the back wave, i can't comment on it. The soundstage is deep, but maybe not really much deeper than some box speakers, but it's really well-layered. I've got them about ~4 feet from baffle to wall, toed in such that I can slightly see the inside of the speaker. I'll try pulling them out a bit more and using no stuffing at all (i used about two handfuls of stuffing). The only concern with pulling them out so far is driver summation at the reduced distance - but i'll let you guys know if that's a problem or not. it was a problem with the six driver array on the EMPs but these only have 3 drivers. I'll also try no toe-in.

There's a lot more I could be saying right now, but it's unnecessary. these aren't "smooth" speakers - not a thing is missing. When I say that I still mean they're far from harsh - they're just not "forgiving". In contrast they make the EMPs' midrange seem off.

Thank you to Dennis for making these wicked speakers
Thank you to RAAL, BG, and SB for some sweet drivers.
Thank you to Noah for making a silly move and getting magnepans instead.
Thank you to ADTG and every other owner for being my guinea pig :D ;)

As far as complaints, it's only with the fit and finish. Some of the grill-peg olders seem to be missing or something along those lines. I don't really care about grilles except on the off-day that someone is in the kitchen next to this room and cooking something. BTW dennis, there's a tiny piece of cardboard or something wedged underneath the faceplate of one of the Neo8s in the small hole. Know any way to get it out of there?

Oh, one more thing. Dennis is insane if he's lifting these things himself on a regular basis. Isn't he like.. old?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ultra detailed. Ultra resolution. Ultra clear. Ultra accurate. Those are my description of my Phil3. I don't have any fancy words like those magazine writers. :D

Congrats to EV on the Phil2. Welcome to the club. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm quite happy to be one of the guinea pigs considering I got the Phil3 for $2,800 and the piano high gloss for a great price. :D

Buying speakers is kind of like buying stocks. My Phil3 stocks just increased by $1,700! :eek: :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
:( Unfortunately..the only ""concrete"" news I've got for you, is that these sound ****ing sweet. I was so apprehensive about spending my year's earnings on ANOTHER pair of speakers, and add another 30% apprehension from nuance et al's experience with the recessed midrange.... but after four hours of listening... worth every cent. So many moments where I'm like "that sounds so ****ing correct" or "damn... that makes the EMPs sound ****ing muddy on that sequence". Mind you, many of these are tracks i've heard many times over on different systems. On some tracks, they've got the resolution of headphones, except with more defined high frequencies. Totally tiny things like triangles and cymbal crashes just jump out at you, yet it doesn't affect vocals. I've got one foam pad on the raal. I guess the best way to describe it, is like that first move from "speakers with no tweeter" to "speakers with a tweeter". that's saying a lot, considering the praise Gene had for the EMPs in his review, as well as his review of the Infinity primus that our local revel/orion/kef/philharmonic owner praises ;).

....But while the raal is a great tweeter, I have to say the star of the show is the blend between this midwoofer and midrange. It's just so...... correct. These are some surprisingly dynamic speakers. I don't think I heard any compression listening to music.

As for the back wave, i can't comment on it. The soundstage is deep, but maybe not really much deeper than some box speakers, but it's really well-layered. I've got them about ~4 feet from baffle to wall, toed in such that I can slightly see the inside of the speaker. I'll try pulling them out a bit more and using no stuffing at all (i used about two handfuls of stuffing). The only concern with pulling them out so far is driver summation at the reduced distance - but i'll let you guys know if that's a problem or not. it was a problem with the six driver array on the EMPs but these only have 3 drivers. I'll also try no toe-in.

There's a lot more I could be saying right now, but it's unnecessary. these aren't "smooth" speakers - not a thing is missing. When I say that I still mean they're far from harsh - they're just not "forgiving". In contrast they make the EMPs' midrange seem off.

Thank you to Dennis for making these wicked speakers
Thank you to RAAL, BG, and SB for some sweet drivers.
Thank you to Noah for making a silly move and getting magnepans instead.

As far as complaints, it's only with the fit and finish. Some of the grill-peg olders seem to be missing or something along those lines. I don't really care about grilles except on the off-day that someone is in the kitchen next to this room and cooking something. BTW dennis, there's a tiny piece of cardboard or something wedged underneath the faceplate of one of the Neo8s in the small hole. Know any way to get it out of there?

Oh, one more thing. Dennis is insane if he's lifting these things himself on a regular basis. Isn't he like.. old?
So--to recap. You like the drivers and crossover, the grills are crap, and I'm old. Well, gotta go. There's the olympic weight lifting trials tomorrow, and then the Iron Man competition in Glen Echo on Saturday. Busy Busy Busy.

Oh--is the cardboard thingy you're seeing white? I've seen that on a lot of the planars. It must have something to do with the manufacturing process. I'm sure it's of no audible signficiance.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
...the only ""concrete"" news I've got for you, is that these sound ****ing sweet.
For a guy named GrantedEV (does the EV stand for Eternal Verbocity?), that's downright succinct!

Congrats! I really glad you like them :D.

Are you considering becoming an associate member of the Dennis Murphy Fan Boy club?

...But while the raal is a great tweeter, I have to say the star of the show is the blend between this midwoofer and midrange. It's just so...... correct. These are some surprisingly dynamic speakers. I don't think I heard any compression listening to music.
I think that is on the money, a great description.

If I remember you have a small or narrow room. You won't always be there. Now you have some motivation for larger quarters ;).

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
So--to recap. You like the drivers and crossover, the grills are crap, and I'm old. Well, gotta go. There's the olympic weight lifting trials tomorrow, and then the Iron Man competition in Glen Echo on Saturday. Busy Busy Busy.

Oh--is the cardboard thingy you're seeing white? I've seen that on a lot of the planars. It must have something to do with the manufacturing process. I'm sure it's of no audible signficiance.
No, it's that orangish brown cardboard color. It almost seems like box-material.

Are you considering becoming an associate member of the Dennis Murphy Fan Boy club?
Caveat - I still refuse to recommend salks and phils for people who want dedicated movie and party systems in 12 foot wide rooms who need to then buy kilowatt amps after without reLizing that there's only so far you can take a kilowatt amp before the speaker stops responding.

And I refuse to wear "The T-shirt" to the mall or airport.

If I remember you have a small or narrow room. You won't always be there. Now you have some motivation for larger quarters ;)
The room is around 10 feet tall, and I think 17 feet wide. I've got the speakers around 5-6 feet from the sides and now about 6 from the front wall. In terms of depth it's tricky. It's mostly open to the kitchen so rear reflections are not a problem, but I can only get the couch around 3.5m from the front wall because of a 'stick out' fireplace serving as a barrier.

The room isn't bad, but its asymmetry (window and blinds on right, drywall and loveseat on left) is clearly audible on pink noise.

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
and add another 30% apprehension from nuance et al's experience with the recessed midrange....
Sorry man. Just remember, we received a damaged pair, so... I've still yet to hear a "working pair," but I hope to convince Dennis to send me a Phil 1 or 2 if I pay shipping both ways. :D

Thanks for posting your thoughts man; well done.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats to EV on his new pair of Phil 2s! Sounds like he's pretty fond of them so far :D

My own setup is finally coming together at long last. The "entertainment center" is a temp, otherwise everything is pretty near final positioning. Maybe an amp swap, maybe not. All I know is that I have enough acoustic fill to make a snowman out of :eek:

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
^^^^ Are the bass units as close to the wall as they look in the picture?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope to convince Dennis to send me a Phil 1 or 2 if I pay shipping both ways. :D
Oh, you mean something like a tour? ;) :D

Honestly, if I own a Salk speaker, I wouldn't even bother because I think they will sound so, so, so similar that anyone will have a difficult time distinguishing without an audio stethoscope. :eek: :D

Didn't Dennis build the crossover on your Salk?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats to EV on his new pair of Phil 2s! Sounds like he's pretty fond of them so far :D

My own setup is finally coming together at long last. The "entertainment center" is a temp, otherwise everything is pretty near final positioning. Maybe an amp swap, maybe not. All I know is that I have enough acoustic fill to make a snowman out of :eek:

Nice set-up Alex, speakers look great. Is that a Cinepro 1k2 I see jammed in there?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, yes Walter that is a cinepro 1K2 jammed in there. Although maybe it will be yours after you come over. We'll have to see how you like it ;)

Right now the outlaw is on the workbench. It really irritates me that outlaw doesn't sell replacement parts, you HAVE to ship it back to them. Huge waste of money. :mad:

Also, here's the new link for my website CLICK HERE

There are a few updates and some more pictures both in the about section and in the gallery. There is now also a discussion forum.

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Oh, you mean something like a tour? ;) :D

Honestly, if I own a Salk speaker, I wouldn't even bother because I think they will sound so, so, so similar that anyone will have a difficult time distinguishing without an audio stethoscope. :eek: :D

Didn't Dennis build the crossover on your Salk?
Yes he did, and you're probably right. His Phil's are a different design, though, being open back midrange and all. I really like what that does to the sound stage but didn't get to hear it in all its glory. I want another shot! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis