Audio Artistry CBT36K kit

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
Well after deciding I wanted to do a HT in the new house, I had to decide on some equipment. I decided the best thing was to find a forum and listen to the experts(end users). With the recommendation of GranteedEV I decided on the CBT36K kit. Here is the kit to save you a google search.

CBT36 Line Array Speaker Kit Pair 301-980

I will post some progress pics as I go along but here are a couple to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
Sweet, my very own subscriber. LOL
Well after reading sky_line123's thread New DIY MTM Towers, I have decided to try and finish my own cabinets. So I went out and found my HVLP gun and now researching on how to create the red burl look. I wouldn't mind black but the SVS sub is already that red look, so I might as well try and match them.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Sweet, my very own subscriber. LOL
Well after reading sky_line123's thread New DIY MTM Towers, I have decided to try and finish my own cabinets. So I went out and found my HVLP gun and now researching on how to create the red burl look. I wouldn't mind black but the SVS sub is already that red look, so I might as well try and match them.

Here's a sexy finish in that rough color:

the REDWOODS (I finally named them) - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
I dont mind the rubbing and sanding. There is always tools to help me, and I work in a place where everyone is the best at everything or so they think. I will just speak the woodworking word and they will all say they are the best. A little beer and I have 10 hands minimum doing the work for me. LOL

I did do some researching and SVS didn't use the Redburl, but it was called Rosenut. I read the Bombay Mahogany will get very close to that. I will do some more reading just to make sure.

P

Phantom48v

Enthusiast
Subscribed as well =p. As for cabinet finishing, the technique is easy, matching the color will be the difficult part. There's a lot of YouTube videos on faux wood grain, This is a similar process that I used to paint a car console...it worked pretty well, especially with a high-gloss clear.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Since there are so many drivers, I would recommend that you test them individually before mounting.

The simple AA battery test (momentarily connecting the battery across the terminals sound cause the cone to move). Rince-repeat x 180.

Last edited:
B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
The first coat of primer just went on the first tower. I hope I get this right. I am going to Hedahls tomorrow to have them shoot my sub for color. Then get them to make the automative paint for that color. A little more expensive but its worth it. I was thinking the sub color which is rosenut for the sides and back, and a high gloss black for the faceplate. Well those are my thoughts, any other suggestions...

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
The black is on and the faceplate will be painted tomorrow. A little quicker than I anticiapated but coming along nicely. Should start wiring next week. I have pics but dont think anyone is too much interested in paint.

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
I will upload some more pics soon. I want to get further along first, I have been working alot so it has slowed my progress. I have however been ordering goodies. Got the receiver in today, and got the amps on order. Will order the crossover tonight too probably. Still need to order a screen for the projector as well. So will have to do some research on that too.

S

smprather

Audiophyte
I'm mildly obsessed with these speakers. I'm dying to hear how they sound, 2cd hand at least. I so wish I could do an A/B with my Sonus Fabers.

What signal processor are you using? Have you looked at the MiniDSP? I have one to massage my dual-LLT's with. What does Audio Artistry recommend?

Thanks for taking the dive Ben. 3rd party reviews of this kit are woefully missing on the web. I wonder why the "pro" reviewers hardly ever lower themselves to review kits.

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
Well I talked with Don and he said to use the dcx2496 for a crossover. I just grabbed a couple of crown amps to power them. I will be ready to put them together next weekend. I cant wait to hear them either but really won't get to test them till Sep/Oct fully

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
MiniDSP makes a good alternative to the DCX. You trade some flexibility and gain ease of use. The miniDSP is cheaper too.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
MiniDSP makes a good alternative to the DCX. You trade some flexibility and gain ease of use. The miniDSP is cheaper too.
While I'm sure someone with understanding, CAD, and skill could get the same response out of a miniDSP that Don got out of the DCX, I would not currently lead OP in that direction. John Krevosky worked with the miniDSP for the Nao Note and found it's not as simple as just plugging in the same numbers into the software, even if the final results are not dissimilar from analog or other DSP options. There are conversions involved and verication is important.

I would stick wiuth something already in place (which seems to be DEQX and DCX2496, and apparently DBX Driverack), though it would be nice if Audio Artistry could add miniDSP to that list. The only way to do it correctly would be to send a miniDSP to Don Keele and have him learn and work with the product.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I would stick wiuth something already in place (which seems to be DEQX and DCX2496, and apparently DBX Driverack), though it would be nice if Audio Artistry could add miniDSP to that list. The only way to do it correctly would be to send a miniDSP to Don Keele and have him learn and work with the product.
+1 for tried and tested.

The CBT36 assembly manual gives a step by step for setting up the DCX2496. That alone may justify the extra price for some.

Page 81 of the manual gives a tabulated list of filters applied. It should be fairly straightforward to recreate the overall crossover and eq. Operative being, should. No comment on whether it will sound same or not.

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
Well there wasnt too much extra cost, I put in an offer at UniqueSquared and they accepted it at $220 I believe. It might have been $225, cant remember. But I did order it last night.

So I have everything I need for the speakers now, and the only thing I have left to order for the HT is the screen and seating. I am meeting with the builder tomorrow to discuss structural changes and will discuss wiring as well in the room.

I believe they are breaking ground in a couple of weeks, getting close.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis