Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I'm not there yet :) IMO a custom 2 is too close to a 3 for me not to go up, then I only get a standard veneer and no super shiny finish like some people who will remain nameless :eek::p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I'm not there yet :) IMO a custom 2 is too close to a 3 for me not to go up, then I only get a standard veneer and no super shiny finish like some people who will remain nameless :eek::p
Yeah, seems like the main reason the Phil2 is much less expensive than Phil3 is because of the pre-made cabinet. Otherwise, it's just the Phil3 with the less expensive woofer.:D

I do love that "piano high-gloss" finish, which is a $750 upgrade for each cabinet. There is also a "standard high-gloss" finish, which isn't as shiny & costs a lot less.

My Orion look like standard high-gloss, which doesn't look as shiny as the 201/2, Salon2, & Phil3.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
piano high-gloss" finish
that's the finish the wife likes and Dennis noted to me it took longer than any of the other finishes to get the finish right. ""A gloss black would not be feasible--it would take my cabinet dude hours and hours and hours of hand rubbing, and would cost something like $800 in labor, and extend the build time by weeks"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
that's the finish the wife likes and Dennis noted to me it took longer than any of the other finishes to get the finish right. ""A gloss black would not be feasible--it would take my cabinet dude hours and hours and hours of hand rubbing, and would cost something like $800 in labor, and extend the build time by weeks"
I think Salk charges $1800 for the piano high-gloss upgrade. Perhaps it costs even more on the SS10/12.

Del charges $1500/pr. Very reasonable since the Phil3 cabinet surface area is so large. Requires multiple layers of lacquers. And each layer requires a week of drying time. Plus all that hand buffing. :eek:

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think Salk charges $1800 for the piano high-gloss upgrade. Perhaps it costs even more on the SS10/12.

Del charges $1500/pr. Very reasonable since the Phil3 cabinet surface area is so large. Requires multiple layers of lacquers. And each layer requires a week of drying time. Plus all that hand buffing. :eek:
Nothing better than a nice Piano finish done right.. :cool: it could be worst, the wife also likes Candy Apple red and that takes some major work.:eek:

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Yeah, seems like the main reason the Phil2 is much less expensive than Phil3 is because of the pre-made cabinet. Otherwise, it's just the Phil3 with the less expensive woofer.:D
I considered an upgrade to the Philharmonic 3, but most content under 30Hz is sound effects and I will have subwoofer(s). I went with Phil 2's on Dennis' recommendation, and while I may wonder what I'm missing I'm certain I'll have no regrets - once everything is properly integrated the difference will be meaningless. Saving $85.71 per Hz seldom realized in music will help me with what will be a rather expensive endeavor to fill my large space with lower frequencies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I considered an upgrade to the Philharmonic 3, but most content under 30Hz is sound effects and I will have subwoofer(s). I went with Phil 2's on Dennis' recommendation, and while I may wonder what I'm missing I'm certain I'll have no regrets - once everything is properly integrated the difference will be meaningless. Saving $85.71 per Hz seldom realized in music will help me with what will be a rather expensive endeavor to fill my large space with lower frequencies.
In 2.1 you are not missing anything.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
My wife's second response after the church analogy was to ask whether we could get them in pink. Candy Apple Red is a fine color! :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The Philharmonic 2's have arrived and are literally in my house. Yippie! I can't wait to head home and fire them up!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
My camera is poop (only had my phone camera) - sorry about that. Nonetheless, here are some pictures.

There will be no impressions posted until after the GTG Saturday; wouldn't want to unintentionally bias anyone's opinion.:)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on the speakers but tell me, that's not Nancy Grace on the screen is it :eek:

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I know you prefer not to post any impressions until after the GTG, but I notice you have the ribbons damped down. Is this as shipped or due to the characteristics of your room?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Congrats on the speakers but tell me, that's not Nancy Grace on the screen is it :eek:
Haha. The wife and I were watching last night's episode of "Raising Hope," (hilarious show), so I decided to pop off a pic quick.

I know you prefer not to post any impressions until after the GTG, but I notice you have the ribbons damped down. Is this as shipped or due to the characteristics of your room?
This is per Dennis' recommendation. With no pads the tweeter is a couple dB hot, with the bottom pad in place it is flat, and with two pads it is 1.5dB down. It allows the user to customize to his/her tastes and/or room.

Pictures look great to me.

I think they match perfectly with those dual subs (Rythmik?).:D
They are custom DIY sealed 15's that Warpdrv and I built (well, all I did was "hold" things and help cut the wood. He did all of the work) utilizing TC2000 drivers. They are powered by dual EP2500's in bridged mode. :D

Last edited:
J

jcunwired

Audioholic
This is per Dennis' recommendation. With no pads the tweeter is a couple dB hot, with the bottom pad in place it is flat, and with two pads it is 1.5dB down. It allows the user to customize to his/her tastes and/or room.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I am aware of the justification. If you don't mind touching on this in your eventual review that would be great. I believe I had read that until you shrink your laundry room this room is a bit small, so I would presume the pads were necessary.

Congrats! The room looks great, the speakers appear to be right at home.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I am aware of the justification. If you don't mind touching on this in your eventual review that would be great. I believe I had read that until you shrink your laundry room this room is a bit small, so I would presume the pads were necessary.

Congrats! The room looks great, the speakers appear to be right at home.
Yeah...the room is only 12 feet wide, which is a bummer. My Spring project is to move the wall five feet into the laundry room (which is unnecessarily huge), which brings the width to 17 feet; much better. :)

I'll take in-room measurements of the speakers tonight and try to post them then or later this week. They will be crossed to the subs, though, otherwise the room doesn't play nice with the "boom boom."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis