Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well--as I state in the destructions I sent with the speakers--all that fill is not really meant to be used in most circumstances. I just wanted to supply enough for any contingency:

"UPPER CABINET STUFFING
You have been provided with an ample supply of fiberfill in the upper cabinets. You will probably only wish to use a moderate amount loosely packed in the cabinet. The amount of fill adjusts the rear radiation from the midrange. The deepest soundstage will be provided with no fill, but in most rooms some fill will be desirable to reduce reflections and possible coloration in the midrange. Using all of the fill provided will basically convert the speakers to conventional front radiators."

That last sentence may be an overstatement. Rear-wave information from the midrange can still make it through all that fill, but it will be greatly reduced.
I will try using 50% fill then.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
^ That's good information to know, Dennis. Which configuration do you prefer us to use at the GTG in April? Half full or so?
Just like life, huh?:D

Nothing extreme; but rather somewhere in the middle.:D

M

M S

Enthusiast
The GTG I referenced is our very own (Wisconsin Audio Club - no official website or anything, though), which is being held in Manitowoc, WI. The Phil 2's will be in attendance along with various Salk speakers, Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL tweeter) and PSB Image T55 Towers. Ryan from Vapor Audio sounds like he won't be able to attend now, but if he does make it he offered to bring a pair of Cirrus monitors. I'll be taking delivery on the Phil 2's a week prior to the GTG.
Is your GTG a closed event or open to interested enthusiasts?

T

troydba

Audiophyte
Now that's an endoresement!

If I were to go back in time, I would just get 5 Phil3s and 5 subs and call it a night.:D
Says a great deal indeed considering the investment you have made.
Makes me feel more confident in choosing the Philharmonic 3s as my first speaker! Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Says a great deal indeed considering the investment you have made.
Makes me feel more confident in choosing the Philharmonic 3s as my first speaker! Thanks!
Just to be clear, I still love my Salon2, Orion3, & 201/2. :D

Every speaker has it's own rhyme, reason, and speciality. All four (Salon, Orion, KEF, & Philharmonic) are in the same world class league.

But the Philharmonic has the clear economic advantage.:D

So this will be your first speakers?

You are lucky.:D

Most of us have much lesser speakers for our first speakers.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much. Nuance can experiment when he gets them to see what seems to work best for him. I just fill them loosely.
Well, I did the recommended loosely filling, which is about 1/3 fill.

I took the entire stuffing out from both Phil3, and it took three (3) 1-gallon Ziploc bags.:D

I did some listening & comparison. Back and forth.

Probably the best overall balance was 1/3 fill (each Phil3 gets half bag of stuffing).:D

A

anarkhia

Audiophyte
Well, I did the recommended loosely filling, which is about 1/3 fill.

I took the entire stuffing out from both Phil3, and it took three (3) 1-gallon Ziploc bags.:D

I did some listening & comparison. Back and forth.

Probably the best overall balance was 1/3 fill (each Phil3 gets half bag of stuffing).:D
is it a ratio with the distance from the wall? I mean if the fill purpose is to slow the wave, if the phils are only 1 feet from the wall, should you put more fill in there?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
is it a ratio with the distance from the wall? I mean if the fill purpose is to slow the wave, if the phils are only 1 feet from the wall, should you put more fill in there?
To my knowledge it isn't a fixed ratio because every room and listening situation is significantly different, but yes in general (if my understanding is correct) closer to the wall = more fill. How much will depend on your room and everything else, so it will take some experimenting.

I've also heard it depends on the content you will put through the speakers. I ordered a removable hard back for my upper cabinets just to give me something extra to fiddle around with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably.:D

The distance from the front of my Phil3 (midrange) to the wall is slightly over 4ft. This means the distance from the back of the top cabinet to the wall is about 3ft.

If I were to guess on paper for fun, I would say:

3ft (from back of top cab to wall) = 1/3 (33%) fill.

2ft = 1/2 (50%) fill.

And 1ft = 1/1 (100%) fill.

That sounds pretty good.:D

Just for fun. :D

Last edited:
M

M S

Enthusiast
Phil 2 & 3 bass cab height please

Could Phil 2 & 3 owners please post the height of the bass box?

I know the total height of the upper & lower enclosures are 41.5 and 43, respectively, but would also like to know the bass box height.

Dennis' site gives overall outside dimensions, but I would find the actual dimensions of the bass boxes, including height, helpful in making a choice about fit and placement.

Thanks,
Marv

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
ADTG....

Congrats....

You really need to remove those grills bro.... They just don't look as awesome as they should...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Could Phil 2 & 3 owners please post the height of the bass box?

I know the total height of the upper & lower enclosures are 41.5 and 43, respectively, but would also like to know the bass box height.

Dennis' site gives overall outside dimensions, but I would find the actual dimensions of the bass boxes, including height, helpful in making a choice about fit and placement.

Thanks,
Marv
The bass/bottom cabinet of my Phil3 is 27" tall.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I've officially read too much to see anywhere near straight... I've had the chance to listen to the Orions a couple times now in a nicely treated room and setup well. Yadda yadda yadda...ADTG How do the Phil3's compare in terms of resolution? I know some of the things I was hearing with the Orions was room related- but I was really surprised by the detail. Hard to describe. The image was spacious but the detail didn't seem to get lost in the room... make any sense? How does the Phil3 compare? I'm completely torn between them and the Audio Artistry Creation... I'm fascinated by its design too... Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've officially read too much to see anywhere near straight... I've had the chance to listen to the Orions a couple times now in a nicely treated room and setup well. Yadda yadda yadda...ADTG How do the Phil3's compare in terms of resolution? I know some of the things I was hearing with the Orions was room related- but I was really surprised by the detail. Hard to describe. The image was spacious but the detail didn't seem to get lost in the room... make any sense? How does the Phil3 compare? I'm completely torn between them and the Audio Artistry Creation... I'm fascinated by its design too... Thanks
The resolution & detail of the Phil3 sound is every bit as awesome as the Orion.

The Philharmonic speakers can throw a large soundstage, but most speakers won't image quite as large a soundstage as the Orion.

But IMO, the detail & resolution is every bit as good.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Appreciate that response.. I think that's what struck me the most about the Orions.. the general WOW they created. It gets to the point that you have to listen to the various subtleties that some speakers offer but they performed well beyond needing to pick out what was good about them. They struck me as VERY active and refined. A lot was going on but it seemed like it was all the right things. Its hard to explain for me. I really enjoyed listening to them. To get a speaker for 3k that could get me that excited would be a wonderful investment. I'm leaning hard that direction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis