Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
ADTGs posts are getting me super excited to hear the Phil 2's in a couple weeks. I'll get to spend some one-on-one time with them before the GTG on April 14th. I'm starting to get giddy!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As per GranteedEV's recommendation, I now have my Phil3 hooked up to my AT3005 amp (329wpc x 2ch 8ohm/ 661wpc x 2ch 4ohm per HTM).

The KEF 201/2 were getting the AT3005 previously. Now they are getting Denon 5308 (169wpc x 5ch 8ohm/ 235wpc x 2ch 8ohm/ 339wpc x 2ch 4ohm per HTM).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTGs posts are getting me super excited to hear the Phil 2's in a couple weeks. I'll get to spend some one-on-one time with them before the GTG on April 14th. I'm starting to get giddy!:D
And we are looking forward to your in-depth unplugged behind the scene director's edition report!:D

A

anarkhia

Audiophyte
Yeah, the Phil2 is the best deal for sure.

It will be interesting to see someone order 3 of the Phil2 for the front stage = $3K.

Or 5 of the Phil2 for $5K.

C'mon someone please do that. :D
There's 80% chance I'm going with that inside a year... why would i get anything else, isnt it the best way to replace my (400$ 5 x Sinclair tower) ??
I mean for the money spent,

Completing it with 2 x ED a7s-650

A

anarkhia

Audiophyte
pretty much funny how 80% of the people on this thread are the same as the ones on AVS? :p

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I'm hoping for stand-mount surrounds with RAAL tweeters to be in production in the next year or two, although I'd be happy with Fountek.

ADTG, I'm curious whether you've experimented with upper cabinet tuning since you've had the Philharmonics. What is your fill level?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Ya better keep the credit card on hand...........................

............. because they won't be going back, will they? :p :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'm hoping for stand-mount surrounds with RAAL tweeters to be in production in the next year or two, although I'd be happy with Fountek.
As I stated earlier in this thread, even the fountek is massive overkill for a surround. The RAAL just IMO doesn't make sense for a surround speaker. You'd pretty much never hear the difference in that application.

It's just my opinion, but for surrounds I feel that more than driver quality, even coverage is the most important thing.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
As I stated earlier in this thread, even the fountek is massive overkill for a surround. The RAAL just IMO doesn't make sense for a surround speaker. You'd pretty much never hear the difference in that application.

It's just my opinion, but for surrounds I feel that more than driver quality, even coverage is the most important thing.
I'm pretty much in agreement here. Personally, I would be perfectly happy with a system that used the little NHT Super Zero's as surrounds. $200 for a pair of surrounds leaves a whole lot of cash left over for important stuff like Oregon State Cabernet Sauvginons.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
For HT certainly, but I have a large collection of multi-channel music. I can live with overkill in pod races as long as there is no sacrifice from the orchestra.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Ya better keep the credit card on hand...........................

............. because they won't be going back, will they? :p :D
That particular pair is already spoken for, otherwise yeah, that's probably how it would have gone down. :)

M

M S

Enthusiast
Nuance,
I see you are in WI.....where will you be able to audition the two's? I would love to hear them before I risk 2K on them (although this thread suggests there is not so much risk):D I live near Chicago.

Is the April 14 GTG you mentioned InDIYana? I am hoping to attend that, too.

Marvin

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

ADTG, I'm curious whether you've experimented with upper cabinet tuning since you've had the Philharmonics. What is your fill level?
Right now they sound so great, I don't even want to mess with it.:D

They come shipped with 100% fill level. I believe the only thing removing the fill will do is maybe expand the soundstage and image a little, which is not a big deal for me.:D

Last night I was listening to demo track#1 (comes with your Philharmonic speakers) on my Phil3. I thought my KEF 201/2 surround speakers were on! Creepy. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There's 80% chance I'm going with that inside a year... why would i get anything else, isnt it the best way to replace my (400$ 5 x Sinclair tower) ??
I mean for the money spent,

Completing it with 2 x ED a7s-650
There's an 80% chance you are getting FIVE Phil2 speakers?:D

That might actually make me jealous.:eek::D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Nuance,
I see you are in WI.....where will you be able to audition the two's? I would love to hear them before I risk 2K on them (although this thread suggests there is not so much risk):D I live near Chicago.

Is the April 14 GTG you mentioned InDIYana? I am hoping to attend that, too.

Marvin
The GTG I referenced is our very own (Wisconsin Audio Club - no official website or anything, though), which is being held in Manitowoc, WI. The Phil 2's will be in attendance along with various Salk speakers, Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL tweeter) and PSB Image T55 Towers. Ryan from Vapor Audio sounds like he won't be able to attend now, but if he does make it he offered to bring a pair of Cirrus monitors. I'll be taking delivery on the Phil 2's a week prior to the GTG.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
:D
Right now they sound so great, I don't even want to mess with it.

They come shipped with 100% fill level. I believe the only thing removing the fill will do is maybe expand the soundstage and image a little, which is not a big deal for me.:D

Last night I was listening to demo track#1 (comes with your Philharmonic speakers) on my Phil3. I thought my KEF 201/2 surround speakers were on! Creepy. :eek:
I do recommend that you experiment with the stuffing. When I had them I had them lightly full and then removed half of the stuffing and they became more than twice as good! Much much more exciting! The technique that I use to adjust the stuffing on my SoundScapes is to start off with a small handful of stuffing. This will kill the cavity resonance. I then play music until I find a piece that has too much ambiance. I add small amounts of stuffing until the ambiance on that piece is under control. I try not to overdo it. That may do it, but if I find another piece of music that is still sounding sloppy then I will add some more until the sloppiness just barely goes away. You may not believe the results! :D

Bob

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Right now they sound so great, I don't even want to mess with it.:D

Well--as I state in the destructions I sent with the speakers--all that fill is not really meant to be used in most circumstances. I just wanted to supply enough for any contingency:

"UPPER CABINET STUFFING
You have been provided with an ample supply of fiberfill in the upper cabinets. You will probably only wish to use a moderate amount loosely packed in the cabinet. The amount of fill adjusts the rear radiation from the midrange. The deepest soundstage will be provided with no fill, but in most rooms some fill will be desirable to reduce reflections and possible coloration in the midrange. Using all of the fill provided will basically convert the speakers to conventional front radiators."

That last sentence may be an overstatement. Rear-wave information from the midrange can still make it through all that fill, but it will be greatly reduced.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
^ That's good information to know, Dennis. Which configuration do you prefer us to use at the GTG in April? Half full or so?

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
The GTG I referenced is our very own (Wisconsin Audio Club - no official website or anything, though), which is being held in Manitowoc, WI. The Phil 2's will be in attendance along with various Salk speakers, Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL tweeter) and PSB Image T55 Towers. Ryan from Vapor Audio sounds like he won't be able to attend now, but if he does make it he offered to bring a pair of Cirrus monitors. I'll be taking delivery on the Phil 2's a week prior to the GTG.
Wow! I will be looking forward to your report!

Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis