Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I can't comment on the Revel-Phil comparison because I don't have a Revel. I'll listen some more to the Excel and RAAL and make sure I can hear the qualitative difference I'm claiming. I've certainly heard it on every other dome I've tried, but the Excel is a step above. In any event, I'm not complaining about your reported comparisons, and I appreciate your taking the time and effort to report them. It's more a matter of intellectual interest to me at this point.
I think I can speak for everyone here that you probably have better hearing than I do when it comes to music.:D

Unless the difference is significant enough, I probably can't tell.

But your trained & experience ears can differentiate a lot easier than most of us.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That would make the Phil 3 something of a game-changer.
Especially my Phil3 since they are super shiny and pretty.:D

They are a game changer. Unfortunately they will never be declared "Speakers of the Year" by all the magazines unless Dennis goes through all those hoops and increases the prices significantly.:eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Especially my Phil3 since they are super shiny and pretty.:D

They are a game changer. Unfortunately they will never be declared "Speakers of the Year" by all the magazines unless Dennis goes through all those hoops and increases the prices significantly.:eek:
Do people actually read "the magazines"? The last magazine I ever read (GamePro circa ~2004) went out of print last year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do people actually read "the magazines"? The last magazine I ever read (GamePro circa ~2004) went out of print last year.

My daughter was looking through HT Magazine the other day. Of course, I also caught her looking through Audio Advisor store magazine. She was on the Bryston page. :eek:

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
That would make the Phil 3 something of a game-changer.
it also speaks to what a bunch of crap the "audiophile" argument that states "well, there's no way those can compare with these because these are 15x more expensive". expensive CAN mean better, but expensive does not always mean better.

edit: just read that and realized it sounds like i am putting down the salons, which i am not. they are really great speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
it also speaks to what a bunch of crap the "audiophile" argument that states "well, there's no way those can compare with these because these are 15x more expensive". expensive CAN mean better, but expensive does not always mean better.

edit: just read that and realized it sounds like i am putting down the salons, which i am not. they are really great speakers.
Dennis Murphy is just making all, and I mean ALL speakers above $3K look bad!:D

Unintentionally, of course.:D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis Murphy is just making all, and I mean ALL speakers above $3K look bad!:D

Unintentionally, of course.:D
Dennis Murphy just doesn't have to make a living at this. If I did, I would probably dress up the cabinets a little, hire some help, and double the price.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone knows with any common sense that you don't have to pay a lot of money for quality or to achieve what you want to personally achieve. An old man once told me, a $25.00 Timex tells time just as good as a $10,000 Rolex, but it depends on who you want to impress with that watch. Same can be said for speakers, a $3000 pair of speakers vs $20,000 speakers. The person no doubt will not be able to tell where their differential investment of $17,000 resides in those $20,000 speakers, those $20,000 speakers might look pretty but is it really worth the price, or is that minimal sound you think you might hear worth the $17,000 difference, only the person with those deep pockets knows, and a person will always defend their position right after they have spent $20,000 on a pair of speakers.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I think I can speak for everyone here that you probably have better hearing than I do when it comes to music.:D

Unless the difference is significant enough, I probably can't tell.

But your trained & experience ears can differentiate a lot easier than most of us.
I think it may be more my remote-controlled, volume compensated switching preamp. Just about eveyone can hear the difference when I make split-second switches on material with lots of very high treble content. Did I miss it, or have you not mentioned the KEF's? I would be interested in comparisons of, say, imaging specificity with the concentrically mounted tweeter vs the conventional tweeter locations of the other speakers.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I think it may be more my remote-controlled, volume compensated switching preamp. Just about eveyone can hear the difference when I make split-second switches on material with lots of very high treble content.
I believe it. Many of us have noticed it without such a cool switching preamp too. I think ADTG will start to notice the differences eventually, especially if he uses quality music such as classical or jazz; something with well recorded brass and cymbals. How about Fanfare for the Common Man?

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
I believe it. Many of us have noticed it without such a cool switching preamp too. I think ADTG will start to notice the differences eventually, especially if he uses quality music such as classical or jazz; something with well recorded brass and cymbals. How about Fanfare for the Common Man?
Yeh, classical music was very shocking on the Philharmonic 2s. :eek:

I would be interested in a comparison of classical music on the Philharmonics vs the Orions.

Bob

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it may be more my remote-controlled, volume compensated switching preamp. Just about eveyone can hear the difference when I make split-second switches on material with lots of very high treble content. Did I miss it, or have you not mentioned the KEF's? I would be interested in comparisons of, say, imaging specificity with the concentrically mounted tweeter vs the conventional tweeter locations of the other speakers.
I compared all four, including KEF.

There are probably differences. But probably not significant enough for me to notice.

Or maybe I just can't hear above 8kHz.:eek:

The irony in life. :D

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
I compared all four, including KEF.

There are probably differences. But probably not significant enough for me to notice.

Or maybe I just can't hear above 8kHz.:eek:

The irony in life. :D
Well, since you cannot hear the differences, I will trade you some Bose for any of your speakers :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, since you cannot hear the differences, I will trade you some Bose for any of your speakers :)
I cannot hear the differences between the $22,000 Salon2 & Phil3................so I should get some Bose?:confused:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Oh man - HAHAHA! That one made me outburst aloud at work. I just embarrassed myself here at the Corporate offices...good thing I work here. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh man - HAHAHA! That one made me outburst aloud at work. I just embarrassed myself here at the Corporate offices...:eek::)
Oh, yeah, that's a good one.

Think I'll go read up on Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow now.:eek:

Then I'll go buy a new Lexus.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Oh, yeah, that's a good one.

Think I'll go read up on Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow now.:eek:

Then I'll go buy a new Lexus.
What does that even mean? :confused:

I'm not sure why you threw the Lexus part in there unless you wanted attention...??? Does the Lexus drive just like a Ford Focus in your opinion too? Can't really tell the difference? :D:p LOL - you set yourself up for that one. Calm down and have a good chuckle.:)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Dennis Murphy just doesn't have to make a living at this. If I did, I would probably dress up the cabinets a little, hire some help, and double the price.
You might as well, because even at $6K they sound pretty competitive. The problem you'd have is that to a lot of top 5% types $3K is practically an impulse buy. $6K+ starts making people want to listen first, and then you'd need a B&M dealer network, and then you'd need to charge $12K. :)

So I'd recommend sticking with your current pricing. ;)

Actually, if I had any need at all for a second system I'd order a pair myself, based on what ATDG has written.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis