Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of my problems was the Receiver, as it seemed to fighting the Phil2s with settings I wasn't aware of or forgot they were set to the on position. Once they were turned off, boominess was gone and now I am hearing what they should be producing. Very, very happy.
Like I told GranteedEV & DenPureSound, when you have awesome speakers, you don't need no stinking Room Corrections of any kind.:eek::D;)

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
I'm not really sure what lifelike SPls would be, but I find myself always wanting to "turn it up" until it sounds "right" and "ginormous" when I listen to stuff like that. :D
Then we are very much alike, especially with horns/brass, spectacular overtures as in a "musical dramatic work" and cool sounding percussion drums.... they all seem to come alive and sound "grand" when the volume is up!:D I sense these may be part of your repertoire!

Acapella harmony is another favorite!

Y

yveletnik

Junior Audioholic
back wave from mid driver

would it add Dbs to a freq response chart in the 650 - 2.9K? or can it be disregarded because of the delay?
Do the measurements on the website show the front wave only or combined?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
If you look at the response chart carefully, the response in that region is recessed almost 1.5 to 2db. So the rear wave likely fills in the response by roughly that much.

Y

yveletnik

Junior Audioholic
If you look at the response chart carefully, the response in that region is recessed almost 1.5 to 2db. So the rear wave likely fills in the response by roughly that much.
it says there that that recess is suppose to be compensated by increase in the off-axis response it that area, i guess it means side reflections...
That's why i kinda started wondering about the back wave...
And wouldn't changing amount of fill change total (front+back) response for the mid driver?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
What if the buyer is willing to pay for the high shipping cost, would there still be any difficulty in getting these? How about DB schenker carrier?
I actually researched all of this for another buyer. Schenker gets the shipping costs down, but there's still substantial duty to deal with. But most of all, I just hate to send something down to the bottom of the world when it could break. I don't exactly have a repair crew in the Outback. Not a sober one, anyhow. It's just more of a risk than I want to take.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I actually researched all of this for another buyer. Schenker gets the shipping costs down, but there's still substantial duty to deal with. But most of all, I just hate to send something down to the bottom of the world when it could break. I don't exactly have a repair crew in the Outback. Not a sober one, anyhow. It's just more of a risk than I want to take.
I have Db schener for deliveiring my SongTower and im lucky to receive them safe and sound. It was quick too, but like you said, there were some additional fees but still came out more economical then going with fedex or ups. Do the Philharmonic 2 comes with double foam? That could actually help protect the speaker from careless shipping workers.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I have Db schener for deliveiring my SongTower and im lucky to receive them safe and sound. It was quick too, but like you said, there were some additional fees but still came out more economical then going with fedex or ups. Do the Philharmonic 2 comes with double foam? That could actually help protect the speaker from careless shipping workers.
The Phils have heavy foam endcaps for both cabinets, and double boxing. They've passed a 200 lb drop test. But Ya never know. And a solder joint could always break.... I'm just jot equipped to handle something like that.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic 2

Review

By Robert Woods (woodsart)

THE SEARCH:

For a few years I have been looking for an affordable great sounding theater package, since I have owned onkyo, infinity and the WAF-1s. And, as my evolution process progressed, I discovered many aspects about speakers. I learned the 3 fronts are most important and auditioning is important....or is it. (Still learning).

But, first I should say I heard the Phil 1 and 3s before I made my final decision.

My most favorite speakers before the Phil2s, that I owned, were the Infinity Primus line of speakers. I read a lot about them and took the plunge, was not sorry. Amazing sound designed by an amazing company. Perfect entry level speakers for theater....I called them the High End Entry Level speaker system and these were a purchase sight un-seen/unheard!

Also, the CAOW1 Monitors, a very, very, nice speaker indeed, a Dennis Murphy original, of course.

Then came the little WAF-1s, liked them so much got another pair and they are still playing a role as my surrounds in the theater.

Some of my speaker auditions included......Cambridge audio monitors, Wilson audio monitors/towers, Salk Soundscape (just listened at Dennis'), Salk Songtowers, GR Research N3 towers and the N2X Monitors, Swans, the Philharmonic 1 and the Philharmonic 3. There are others, but, unfortunitely I have lost my list. These are all good speakers, very good speakers and excellent speakers.

MODEST EQUIPMENT/LISTENING AREA:

My equipment is quite modest and includes an Onkyo 806 receiver/Emotiva XPA-5, Panasonic Blu-ray player and a Sansung 50" plazma TV. Internet provider is Comcast with Xfinity. My sub is GR Research DIY 12" Servo.

Most of the review includes, not limited to, Pandora Internet streaming, since my current CD collection somewhat sparse and located in the PC/Office area where the Philharmonitor 2s are.

The room size is approximately 20 X 24, hardwood, with 9' ceilings. I have no room treatments.

The PHILHARMONIC II SPEAKERS:

When Dennis emailed and said they were ready, we had a death in the family, so I had to postpone til the next weekend, so my wife and took advantage to make it a weekend.

I must say Dennis is very hospitable indeed.....lunch and a dog for entertaining!!! What more could one ask?

However, he was worried that there was not enough room packed in their original boxes, so I had to forgo those in order to get the Phillys home with one trip. But we did it and they all fit nicely and made it home without a scratch....Dennis knows how I am about that!
The problem was carrying them inside....ugh, very heavy, but I managed. I could see the look on Gail's face as I hooked them up. But I told her we will work the aesthetics out and we did.

They sounded as expected and it was love at first sight/ear or two......end review!!!! He He......just kidding!

I will attempt to give my thoughts on some songs that stood out....but first I will say one of my pet peeves is harsh/unnatural..... Piano/violin straining on one's ears. And, I think I speak for the most of us.

And, in an orchestral setting.....individual notes/instruments/voices rather than a jungle of sound just ringing distortion!!!! Whew, glad that is over!

First, "Lake Erie Rainfall" by Jim Brickman.......The intro with keys hitting the strings was very lifelike, clear and non-distorted. Some hard hits on the strings one could actually hear hammers hitting on the higher notes. Me likey that!!!! The Phils passed that with flying colors!!!

The next song, "Que Misterio" a tango by Tango Jointz.......nice drums and click click, harmonica, guitar and piano. Orchestral background, really good separate instrumental clarity and preciseness! Really loved this song, so I added it to my favorites.

"Ceremonial Fanfare For Brass Ensemble" by Aaron Copeland......Ahhhh, now we are kicking or tooting! Love brass and the Philly's did too.The RAALs really shines with these trumpets in the higher register, precise and excellent! The trombones are another favorite, bursting with energy a real favorite of mine.

"Dark Fire" by Strung & Farah on Worldbeat Radio/Pandora.......This song had a Samba sound that one would love to chill by. The drums were quick, precise, tight and exactly what to expect with these excellent speakers right from the start of this song. Perfect violin reproduction by the RAALs. I use to hate when a song started with a violin or any piano, but not any more.

"Keep On Moving" by Bob Marley....... Very nice, smooth, snappy song. All of the drivers the RAAL, Neo8, BG, seem to be in harmony with this song. The Phillys work very well with all these styles of stations....../reggae/Caribbean/Dub/Dancehall/Techno/Trance/Electronica/Ambient/Electro/Club/Dance/Techno/Dubstep.

On Lowfish/Uberzone/Cirez D Radio.....The Phillys kept on pumping and delivering clean, clear, precise low notes, surprisingly very low notes!

"Air" by Jesse Cook......serenades with a fast repertoire of this guitar solo, no problem here, couldn't find a thing wrong with this song, except it didn't last as long as I would have liked and I couldn't play it again!

"Crazy Love" by Throat Culture, in Acapella.....the Neo8/BG Woofer really shined, they just performed as expected. live.....live....live! Bout as good as I would ever want!

July London on "Easy Listening Radio"......with her "Oh baby" voice was very clean, right-in-front-of-you sounding. An old recording? Can't tell here as the Phillys are just doing their thing, I guess they are not scared of the older recorded stuff afterall.

On the 20th Century Radio........."Suite For Jazz Orchestra #1" by Demitry Shostakovich.......The violin and trumpet was just surperb with very high notes.....tonally correct like the real thing.

This, of course is only 1/3 of the songs I listened to and made notes, but I think that is enough! I did not mention the ones with the EQ on Onkyo turned on.

My thoughts on......Philharmonic Audio/Dennis Murphy!

I have been looking and talking for sometime now, particularly with DM. His reputation, being the no-nonsense person he is, meaning.....efficient, direct and quite tough when it comes to speaker design! He has really come up with winners and I am glad I am now a owner of one of the best speakers out there in this price range! The cabinetry is as good as any and better than most, very solid. All the drivers were installed to perfection.

The Philharmonic 2 speakers are.....well as Dennis said......"They sound pretty much exactly like the 3's unless there's a big bad bass drum whacking away. " So I feel like I got the bargain.

I think these are clear, clean, distinct throughout the audio spectrum, near perfect reproduction. The RAAL produced no edge or sharpness. The BG Woofer was smooth, extended, natural with no boominess, very tight. The NEO8 midrange, enveloping, lush and warm....was as good as Dennis could make it IMO.

These were my ears auditioning and obviously everyone's ears are very different. So, this is what I believe I heard and I hope this review helps someone in their decision making.

Honestly, there was no noticeable bloated low end, harsh unnatural midrange or ringing treble!

philharmonicaudio.com

Highly recommended!

P.S, this review is subject to change without notice :)

Soon to be following the "NEW" Philharmonitor 2 review......

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
woodsart

Thanks for that review. I know its hard to write down all that you've noticed, thought, and felt about those speakers.

As you get to listen to more of your music, keep an ear open for how well the Phils do with percussion. The TL bass and the crisp midrange will surprise you.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I think these are clear, clean, distinct throughout the audio spectrum, near perfect reproduction. The RAAL produced no edge or sharpness. The BG Woofer was smooth, extended, natural with no boominess, very tight. The NEO8 midrange, enveloping, lush and warm....was as good as Dennis could make it IMO.
You mean the SB Acoustics woofer, right?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Great job, Robert! I feel like a kid at Christmas when I read about someone's dream speaker being found. You deserve these speakers buddy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis