Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This kind of reminds me of Siegfried Linkwitz when he parted ways with Audio Artistry. People kept asking him to compare his $8,000 Orion to his previous $25,000 Audio Artistry Beethoven speakers.:eek:

It didn't seem fair. But he pretty much said his Orion sounded at least as good, if not better in some ways. Bold statement. :D Possible?

Of course, after I compare the Phil3 to the Salon2, I'm going to need someone to give a second opinion and confirm/verify my assessment. :D
I think it's perfectly fair. There's more to speaker prices than performance, like fine woods and finishes, exotic but not necessarily superior drivers, or exotic cabinet construction (e.g. YG speakers). For example, I like the Salon 2 better than the $68K Wilson Maxx3 (not that they were in my budget, but I know someone with a pair).

As for a second opinion... let's see what you think first. I've never heard another box speaker throw an image like the Salon 2s. IMO it takes A LOT to equal or beat an Orion.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
. For example, I like the Salon 2 better than the $68K Wilson Maxx3 (not that they were in my budget, but I know someone with a pair).
Ditto; I've yet to hear a Wilson speaker I like.

Of course, after I compare the Phil3 to the Salon2, I'm going to need someone to give a second opinion and confirm/verify my assessment. :D
You should have stopped at "to give a second opinion." Don't bias them by saying "dude, confirm what I'm hearing." :D In fact, don't even tell this person what speakers are what or how much they cost. Let them decide. ;)

M

M S

Enthusiast
I don't have the best ears, but I would love to give your 3s a listen before I invest in the 2's while also verifying your assessment.

Is Krypton anywhere near Chicago?

BTW, how much did it cost to ship your 3's to Krypton? How long did it take to get there?

Marvin

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have the best ears, but I would love to give your 3s a listen before I invest in the 2's while also verifying your assessment.

Is Krypton anywhere near Chicago?

BTW, how much did it cost to ship your 3's to Krypton? How long did it take to get there?

Marvin
:D

It would cost too much shipping to Krypton.:D

I also have a place in Oklahoma City. The Phil3 will be shipped to OKC.:D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
One of these days I'll have to drive up there to check out your gear. OKC isn't all that far from fort worth :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of these days I'll have to drive up there to check out your gear. OKC isn't all that far from fort worth :)
We drive to Dallas all the time. I have family & friends in Dallas as I'm sure a lot of people do.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ditto; I've yet to hear a Wilson speaker I like.

You should have stopped at "to give a second opinion." Don't bias them by saying "dude, confirm what I'm hearing." :D In fact, don't even tell this person what speakers are what or how much they cost. Let them decide. ;)
No, what I meant was for irvrobinson to also buy the philharmonic speakers & compare to his salon2.:D

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Should be interesting.

We already have one extremely favorable comparison of the $2K Phil2 vs the $12K Soundscape10.
I didn’t mean to make my comments about the SoundScape and the Philharmonic to be a detailed comparison. I said that the SoundScapes were better in all areas except for two mixed areas. I guess most people consider transparency the Holy Grail. In some sense it is. The SoundScapes are pretty transparent themselves but not quite as transparent as the Philys in the midrange. Most recordings are not very good. They are close miked and often use compression. A lot of classical music is recorded well. There you have a recording that with a fully transparent speaker can give the magical experience of actually being there. If I mainly listened to classical music, I might consider selling my SoundScapes and having Jim Salk build be a fine cabinet for some Philharmonic 3s. My SoundScapes do a fine job on all types of music. The Philys are closer than they have any right to be. I am not planning to getting rid of my SoundScapes. ;)

Bob

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
There you have a recording that with a fully transparent speaker can give the magical experience of actually being there. If I mainly listened to classical music, I might consider selling my SoundScapes and having Jim Salk build be a fine cabinet for some Philharmonic 3s.
Do you feel the Philharmonics do french horns well at lifelike SPLs?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yes, they play fine on all instruments at lifelike volumess. I didn't try them on my Telarc 1812 cannons though. ;)

Bob
I have. No woofer pieces to clean up, but the 3's do better. And I'm sure the SoundScapes to better than that. As for French Horns, that's how I voice and/or check speakers. Everything has to be spot on to reporduce all of those rich harmonics with no smearing or coloration.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Do you feel the Philharmonics do french horns well at lifelike SPLs?
GEV......I can attest to that, one of my favorite groups is Canadian Brass or any brass ensemble for that matter. Whether they are lifelike SPLs, dunno, i just know the sound is eXtremely appealing to my ears. I will say that can I hear everything pretty well, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Fanfare for the Common Man, by Manheim Steamroller is one of the best examples for brass. :D

Another note that I mentioned on another forum....

One of my problems was the Receiver, as it seemed to fighting the Phil2s with settings I wasn't aware of or forgot they were set to the on position. Once they were turned off, boominess was gone and now I am hearing what they should be producing. Very, very happy.

And I just can't get enough of Brass!!:)

Yep, Dennis, "no smearing or coloration":D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Whether they are lifelike SPLs, dunno, i just know the sound is eXtremely appealing to my ears.
I'm not really sure what lifelike SPls would be, but I find myself always wanting to "turn it up" until it sounds "right" and "ginormous" when I listen to stuff like that. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis