Top 10 Current Speaker Manufacturers in the World!!!

R

ridikas

Banned
That particular Sonus Faber speaker measures poor, no doubt. But there are other ones that measure within +/-2dB. Albeit a lot more expensive.

I have personally owned 6 different pairs of Goldmund speakers. Speakers that were manufactured from the late 80s to early 2000s. All on the lower spectrum of their price range. Bought them used (most on Audiogon), from $600pr. (Goldmund Prologues) to $5000pr. (Goldmund Logos1).

I currently own the Goldmund Logos1 bookshelfs. They have a 1" Peerless/Vifa tweeter (DX25TG04-05) and a 7" Peerless mid-woofer (830875). I took some measurements of them personally. Here are some results (no smoothing applied of any kind):

The droop after 15kHz is due to the Audix measuring mic.

They roughly measure +/-1.5dB. Of course I couldn't get accurate measurements below 500Hz, due to no access to an anechoic chamber. I had to keep the MLS length of 4ms-5ms to avoid room reflections.

Attachments

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Goldmund is an extremely small operation and I was more interested in the ultimate list of well established companies.

R

ridikas

Banned
The speakers have to have something innovative (like neodymium magnets, underhung motors, shorting rings, etc.) for at least this reason: No one ever (except the NRC) publishes distortion numbers. Having a shorting ring in the mid-woofer will at least somewhat ensure that the distortion is kept to a minimum. If everything else looks good, i.e. flat SPL, no dips in the midrange when off-axis, good power response, etc. Then it is reasonable to assume that the speaker at least has good distortion numbers.

Goldmund is a well established company, who has been in business since the mid 70s. While they are not as large as B&W, never the less, they fit within the criteria.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Having a shorting ring in the mid-woofer will at least somewhat ensure that the distortion is kept to a minimum. I
Not at all. Klippel tests show that inductance / inductance variation is by far the least significant contributor to overall distortion.

Even some drivers with shorting rings, have them poorly placed leading to worse flux than if there were no shorting ring.

A shorting ring, or lack thereof, guaruntees very little.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone who's heard, or even seen a Goldmund, say aye

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I took some measurements of them personally.

They roughly measure +/-1.5dB. Of course I couldn't get accurate measurements below 500Hz, due to no access to an anechoic chamber. I had to keep the MLS length of 4ms-5ms to avoid room reflections.
Yeah, but I think we like 3rd party measurements to confirm in order to be world class?

Like world class publications from Stereophile, Soundstage, Home Theater Magazine, etc.

R

ridikas

Banned
Just because you've never heard a Goldmund speaker, means absolutely nothing.

And regarding shorting rings: Why don't you go tell that to Revel, or KEF, or Scan-Speak, or Seas, or numerous other state of the art manufacturers.

Zaph Audio has done some very good and comprehensive measurements on dozens of 7" mid-woofers. The ones with shorting rings consistently have lower distortion.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Just because you've never heard a Goldmund speaker, means absolutely nothing.
Sure it does. It means they're not very well established, which disqualifies them.

Zaph Audio has done some very good and comprehensive measurements on dozens of 7" mid-woofers. The ones with shorting rings consistently have lower distortion.
And this "lower distortion" doesn't correlate to many other factors; encompassed by a higher price??
And this "distortion" is audible when listening to real content??? :confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That particular Sonus Faber speaker measures poor, no doubt. But there are other ones that measure within +/-2dB. Albeit a lot more expensive.
$5000 speakers measure "poorly", and yet they go on your World Class list?:eek:

So where are the +/-2db measurements of the Sonus Faber?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And regarding shorting rings: Why don't you go tell that to Revel, or KEF, or Scan-Speak, or Seas, or numerous other state of the art manufacturers.
Wide reproduction of an idea defies it being innovative.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How about these, more or less:

Sonus Faber Cremona loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

The whole point of this thread was to see what else I can add/replace on the list, from everyone's help. So that we can make the ultimate manufacturer's list :)
Looks like -3dB @ 5.5kHz.

I would take Goldmund & Sonus Faber off the list.

Some people consider Linkwitz Orion to be world class. Reviewed by 3rd party The Audio Critic (Peter Aczel).

Have you heard of the Linkwitz-Riley world class crossover by Siegfried Linkwitz?

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
But theoretically +/- is very close to 2dB.

What would you recommend I replace them on the list with?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But theoretically +/- is very close to 2dB.

What would you recommend I replace them on the list with?
Here is the B&W 800 D w/ a +5dB @ 10kHz & +4dB @ 8kHz. And the off-axis is not "world class".

B&W 800 Diamond loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

I think you need to change the criteria.

World class in terms of build quality, aesthetics, reputation, reviews, designers, subjective SQ, company size?

If you say flat +/-2dB FR & smooth off-axis based on 3rd party measurements, that list might be just the top 5 or 6.:D

For example, the B&W may be world class in terms of company reputation, size, build quality, aesthetics, & subjective SQ, but not in terms of 3rd party on-axis and off-axis.

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
Performance has to be by the far the most important determining factor. If a speaker cannot have a +/-2dB on-axis SPL, then it doesn't really belong on the list. Then we have to look at the off-axis response, no dips in the midrange (near crossover point) are allowed, this will also insure good power response.

Any suggestions on what to remove and what to add?

R

ridikas

Banned
I cannot see a single fault with the Pioneer TAD speakers. I like that they're a Japanese company (not Chinese, etc.). On-axis response seems to be roughly +/-1.5dB. Off-axis looks good. TAD has an ok dealer network in the United States.

Any other votes for, or against TAD? I'm thinking about replacing either Sonus Faber, or B&W.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can somebody please do a personal measurement of some Bose and get the required +/- 2dB on-axis & smooth off-axis. I have some Bose & I would like them to be on this list. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis