Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
PH 3 Veneer

How thick is the Veneer for the custom finishes on the Phil 3's, labored on top of the 3/4" MDF base material ?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
with 50w you're looking at around 109db capability above the crossover region which is identical to the woofer being fed 300w. The woofers are still the main factor in dynamics, because they operate below the baffle step and in the most power hungry region of most program material. Incidentally with 300w into the speaker only around 50w will actually reach the mid in this particular design, although I can't speak on heat conduction from crossover to driver as i don't know a thing 'bout passive XOs
Thanks for the clarification. The Neo8's are sometimes used full-range, or nearly full-range, where they can be overtaxed at the low end if there are too many power demands. But they operate over a fairly limited bandwidth in the Philharmonics (crossed steeply at 650 Hz to the woofer), and you will blow your ears out or bottom out the woofer before the midrange runs out of gas.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How thick is the Veneer for the custom finishes on the Phil 3's, labored on top of the 3/4" MDF base material ?
I honestly don't know. But you can order any kind and thickness of veneer you want if you arrange it with my cabinet maker.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Well, Mr. DPS, sounds like you are heading for the IIIs, right?

Maybe, if Dennis has the time he can send you the latest pics of the walnut/black piano laquer baffle IIIs. Stunning would be an understatement!!! :eek:

E

eheart144

Banned
Yeah they have a bunch of great informative stuff over there.....

I still have more reading to do...

Thanks for making it a sticky, for those in the need to know...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Maybe, if Dennis has the time he can send you the latest pics of the walnut/black piano laquer baffle IIIs. Stunning would be an understatement!!! :eek:
DM said the cabinets cannot be high gloss.

Are you saying black piano gloss?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
DM said the cabinets cannot be high gloss.

Are you saying black piano gloss?
These cabinets had gloss piano black front panels, which my cabinet dude was willing to hand rub because the area wasn't very large. The cabinets also have chamfered edges, which I think add interest and only required a minor change in the crossover. The veneer is quarter-sawn walnut. The edges and veneer don't add much to the cost, but the gloss front does.

Attachments

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Thanks, Dennis, was just going to post about these that I had seen. Love the angled, beveled edges a lot!! Del is the best!!!

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
These cabinets had gloss piano black front panels, which my cabinet dude was willing to hand rub because the area wasn't very large. The cabinets also have chamfered edges, which I think add interest and only required a minor change in the crossover. The veneer is quarter-sawn walnut. The edges and veneer don't add much to the cost, but the gloss front does.
What had to change in the Xover to facilitate the front chamfered edges?

Do all three Xover designs slightly change with those frontal edges?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic

Good idea, and maybe even a better idea is to post them right here, so all can see them. :)

Biased more towards the 3's, with the ScanSpeak Woofer, and then the wifey can get some color in the room, besides just Black and Silver -- looks like the Oakland Raider camp right now, which used to be Great !! :D:)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
DM, do you know Paul Carmody?

Saw these DIY Tarkus speakers by Paul Carmody, and there is a little similarity, but a bunch of differences in comparing them to the PHIL 3's.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
DM, do you know Paul Carmody?

Saw these DIY Tarkus speakers by Paul Carmody, and there is a little similarity, but a bunch of differences in comparing them to the PHIL 3's.

There are probably several designs out there that look like the Phil's. There are only so many ways you can do a box on a box.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would you classify both the Philharmonic & Soundscape speakers as dipole speakers?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
What had to change in the Xover to facilitate the front chamfered edges?

Do all three Xover designs slightly change with those frontal edges?
Just a resistor change to bring the tweeter output down a little at low end. The diffraction effects from the chamfered edges are a little different, but easy to deal with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My, my, my.

I do believe I owe our good friend Del some more money for that extra gloss love.:D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
There are probably several designs out there that look like the Phil's. There are only so many ways you can do a box on a box.
I have had these a few years back (Cinepro Evo 2). A friend fo mine builds these. Not to get off track, but did you ever hear of John Sollecito (JSE Infinite Slope)> Great two box sounding speakers.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I have had these a few years back (Cinepro Evo 2). A friend fo mine builds these. Not to get off track, but did you ever hear of John Sollecito (JSE Infinite Slope)> Great two box sounding speakers.
Yours is bigger than mine. I've heard a number of infinite slope designs. Some worked, some didn't. They tend to be quite complex, and I think I've always been able to at least equal the sound quality with a simpler approach. But when the infinite slope crossovers are implemented correctly, they're very very good.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Just a resistor change to bring the tweeter output down a little at low end. The diffraction effects from the chamfered edges are a little different, but easy to deal with.
Dennis Murphy,

Do you know Tom Gates from Calgary, AB, Canada? He has been designing speakers for 50 years, and I was fortunate enough to speak with him the other day.

He said w/all his years of designing/building/testing, he came to the conclusion that the best designs were TWO WAY, w/o a woofer in the enclosure, and a two encl. solution -- basically one box on top of the other - isolated from each other, with the Tweeters as close together as possible in the center and the Mid-Range drivers at top and bottom of the twin stack, if that makes sense. Basically, two tweets and two mids per side! Does this sound like two Ascend Sierra 1's per side, one being turned upside down, or ?

Knowing you Dennis and how specific and particular you are, I am sure you have seen/heard and/or tested that design already, and threw it out for some reasons.

Can you quickly explain, either way, as I have No Idea.

Dennis

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Oppix

Dennis Murphy --

I saw this posted, and said What the Heck is DAVE F. stating at Ascend, can you please clarify why you did not go with Variable Slope Xovers vs. the LR4's in the Philharmonic speakers. :)

"OPPIX stands for Optimized Paradromic Phase Integrated X-Over (crossover). This sophisticated variable slope crossover precisely aligns the acoustic phase response of multiple transducers at the exact point where the response of one transducer crosses over to another, with reference to a specific point in space. This precise alignment allows the transducers to mimic a single point source radiator, allowing for symmetrical dispersion even with an asymmetrical transducer layout while maintaining a linear frequency response and greatly reducing off-axis phase and response anomalies. It also avoids the undesirable frequency response anomalies commonly found with even the best coaxial drivers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis