Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You got me. I knew that it was only a matter of time before someone figured out that no honest job could pay for all those veggie corndogs. I kinda feel bad for all those strung out hookers...but I do love me some corndogs.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The universe is vast. Vast. Possibly infinitely so. Larger than it really matters, as it's likely that no human will ever...EVER...leave our solar system.

So large...yet my house is about fifteen feet away from my neighbor.
60 years ago, when something was impossible people would say..... it's as impossible as going to the moon and everybody would know that this is as impossisble as possible is......

The trick to get away quickly is to change the nature of space rather than doing crazy accelleration which I guess is the theory behind warp drive, making artificial curvatures in space :D
Warp Drive Engine Would Travel Faster Than Light : Discovery News

Also there is the Hyperdrive engine discussed previously in the steam vent....
So you and others do have a chance to get far away from the people in this thread :p
Sign in to read: Take a leap into hyperspace - physics-math - 05 January 2006 - New Scientist

This isn't a new article, but I was recently having a discussion about it and remember how interesting it is. Like Tesla, many considered Heim a crackpot, but like Tesla, Heim came up with some revolutionary methods still in use today by physicists. It'll be interesting if an actual test reveals anything useful.

I'll really be pissed if I see we could have been riding spacecraft to the stars in the 70's instead of producing movies/shows about it like Star Trek and Star Wars. Although, I don't believe the energy creation and materials were available 30 years ago.

Here are the stars within 90 days of Earth using a hyperdrive engine:

The Universe within 12.5 Light Years - The Nearest stars

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Warp drive would be cool, for sure, but I'm not convinced that we'll get to it - and we'd need it to get out of the solar system. At least, the definition that I'm using, which is past the theoretical Oort cloud (well, Öpik–Oort cloud) whose edge is about 1-2 light years distant. If getting there was equivalent to running a marathon, then getting to the Moon is equivalent to going roughly a tenth of an inch.

I like the thought of being able to do it, though! :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Warp drive would be cool, for sure, but I'm not convinced that we'll get to it - and we'd need it to get out of the solar system. At least, the definition that I'm using, which is past the theoretical Oort cloud (well, Öpik–Oort cloud) whose edge is about 1-2 light years distant. If getting there was equivalent to running a marathon, then getting to the Moon is equivalent to going roughly a tenth of an inch.

I like the thought of being able to do it, though! :)
1 to 2 light years is not so far if you get past the trouble of these engines......
Although then we can see Einstein's twin theory in practice where the twin in space travel is 2 years older, while the twin at earth is 30 years older :D

There is a theory based on an engine using some extremely strong magnets that somehow create sensational driving forces that can accellerate a rocket sth like 20G continuosly for a couple of weeks until you reach quite good speed, at least so you can go 11 light years in what for you will be 80 days :p

Perhaps you will be really flat after such an acceleration though :p

Some info here about how to get cruising in 50% of light speed :p
Take a leap into Hyperspace [Archive] - Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum

Looking to find this article that described this magnetic field engine, it is actually an old theory where mostly everything is described and how to make it work, too.....

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Have been on the Monoprice site for about thirty minutes try to figure out what lengths of HDMI cable I should buy.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Warning, not boring stuff ahead!!

I just got my Dune HD Smart, and it's pretty awesome. Full write up to come soon :D
I haven't seen any review from you, is this in the pipeline? :p
By the way, does the Dune HD Smart invoke an smb server?
(To make Windows file shares)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
not too bad for me - only an hour commute and I have to be at work at 8:30am daily mon/fri
but I my work doesn't seem to contain itself b'ween office hours :(

Oh, well the life of IT - the duty never stops

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, well the life of IT - the duty never stops
The upside.... if you should lose your cell phone :D

I planned to start working at 09:00 am today, but being off... working offline.... having a slow morning with lots of good breakfast and coffee+++

I started work at something like 12:30..... even better than banking hours :p

I will probably be excused because it's "Fall vacation" over here and I'm having home office and lots of people are not working at all this week....

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I've actually spent some time looking through threads and aerated 1/3rd of my backyard yesterday. It's been awhile.

-pat

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Some of us arrived hours ago. Must be nice to have banker's hours. :mad:
I work 8:00 to 5:00 kind of... When the boy is in school I get him on the bus which arrives at 8:20. Work if 15 minutes from home for now. We are moving to a new building which is 11 minutes from home.:) I'm a salary employee and I stay late often and work from a remote desktop from home also when necessary. So there is good and bad.

Yesterday I worked from 8:20 till 7:45. I also worked through lunch.

...and yes Adam... I'm posting from work!:p

majorloser

majorloser

I'm exempt, salary and on call 24/7. I'm always at work :mad:

And yes Adam, I too am posting from work. But what else is new :p
(somebody has to pay me to moderate you guys)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis