Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you serious....was it for the silver finish?? I have seen the silver models getting discounted big-time....wonder what drive a price like that???
Hard to believe my brother! How many sets did you pick up? If I had seen it I would have picked some up for my rears and moved the gem xl's into the bedroom. Next time you see a deal like that, pm me and I will owe you one.:D
Yeah, they were the silver finish.

Onecall.com was actually the seller. But amazon was also selling them.

I almost bought a pair just for the great price - kind of like women "having" to buy things just because they were on sale!:D

Highly regarded (Stereophile & Sound & Vision) Def Tech STS @ 50% off! What a steal!

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
That figures....I have read that Definitive isn't going to be building the polished aluminum anymore...only the black aluminum now...

P

paintreal

Audiophyte
Upgrading

About 6 months ago, I bought Def Tech speakers for our home theater.... two 450's Front L&R; Center Channel CLR2300, Rear 1000;s. They sound great, but we remodeled and the room is now much larger. I'm thinking of moving my B&W 803's that I love to that room as front speakers (haven't listened to them much since getting the Def Techs.), will move my 450's to the rear and buy a CLR 3000 to replace the CLR 2300 because I was told it will work better with the B&W's.

I know this is an extravagant move, but i can do it if I find someone who can use the 2300 and maybe the 1000's. I will let them go for a song if someone offers them a good home. All are in perfect working order and the 2300's are broken in. Let me know if you want to make a reasonable offer and pick them up in the Baltimore area.

P

paintreal

Audiophyte
Upgrading
Whoops, Sorry, I am new to this site and did not see the classified section. After I posted, I realized I should first ask others here if the move I am planning makes technical sense. I would appreciate your input.
"About 6 months ago, I bought Def Tech speakers for our home theater.... two 450's Front L&R; Center Channel CLR2300, Rear 1000;s. They sound great, but we remodeled and the room is now much larger. I'm thinking of moving my B&W 803's that I love to that room as front speakers (haven't listened to them much since getting the Def Techs.), will move my 450's to the rear and buy a CLR 3000 to replace the CLR 2300 because I was told it will work better with the B&W's." Your thoughts please.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Do yourself the justice and get a matching B&W center, whoever told you that the DT would be a good idea is either selling or stupid.

P

paintreal

Audiophyte
Want to understand your POV

About 6 months ago, I bought Def Tech speakers for our home theater.... two 450's Front L&R; Center Channel CLR2300, Rear 1000;s. They sound great, but we remodeled and the room is now much larger. I'm thinking of moving my B&W 803's that I love to that room as front speakers (haven't listened to them much since getting the Def Techs.), will move my 450's to the rear and buy a CLR 3000 to replace the CLR 2300 because I was told it will work better with the B&W's.

I know this is an extravagant move, but i can do it if I find someone who can use the 2300 and maybe the 1000's. I will let them go for a song if someone offers them a good home. All are in perfect working order and the 2300's are broken in. Let me know if you want to make a reasonable offer and pick them up in the Baltimore area.
Do yourself the justice and get a matching B&W center, whoever told you that the DT would be a good idea is either selling or stupid.
The person who made the suggestion re the DT for the center (though a nice guy) definitely has a DT bias. I appreciate your suggestion; however I also deduced from some of the posts that the DT's rival some of the B&W's.... guess that's not so. I'm new to this stuff and hope I don't seem "stupid" ...but can you please explain why the 3000's would not be good centers with the B&W's. There is obviously a big price difference so I would need to save up for the new center and/or sell the DT's I now have.

D

db682

Audiophyte
Has anyone ever bought any DefTech products from Digital Craze . com? They have a good price for a certain set of brand new speakers that I'm looking for. I want to make sure there legit and the speakers will have a warranty. Plus they have free shipping and tax is included in the price well below MSRP. I'm scratching my head wondering if I should bite the bullet even though they arent listed on DefTechs site. My local independent dealer said he cant match the price and he doesnt have them in stock anyways (he doesnt even seem like he really wants to sell me DefTechs, just something he has in stock) and the Magnolia Best Buy wont budge off of MSRP.

db

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The person who made the suggestion re the DT for the center (though a nice guy) definitely has a DT bias. I appreciate your suggestion; however I also deduced from some of the posts that the DT's rival some of the B&W's.... guess that's not so. I'm new to this stuff and hope I don't seem "stupid" ...but can you please explain why the 3000's would not be good centers with the B&W's. There is obviously a big price difference so I would need to save up for the new center and/or sell the DT's I now have.
Not knocking DTs, you just want your front 3 to be timbre matched thats all:)

2002TL

Audiophyte
Full Range Low Level Output Receivers ?

For 2002TL towers
Join upper tower gold jumper plate from receiver L&R amp [hi-mids only, free lower.]
Use Normal output R to R-Tower's "Full Range Low Level Input"
Use Normal output L to L-Tower "Full Range Low Level Input"
Use single Center Out to DT 2500CC "Full Range Low Level Input"

But
What receiver for example has "Full Range Low Level Outputs" rather than normal L/R/C line outs ????????

Any receivers have this "Full Range Low Lev Out" for DT 2500CC ?

What low-mid cost receiver has L/R "Full Range Low Freq Outputs" ?

I only see LFE or sub out on receivers.

I am buying a new receiver, any 7.1 brand suggestions, Onkyo, Yamaha, HK ?

What brand & guage wire, do you prefer banana plugs on receiver ?

You guys prefer to twist wire into the tower terminals or use plugs ?

52" DLP
DLP Infocus projector
Upgrading Cerwin Vega Center to 2500CC
Upgrading sub 10" Cerwin to supercube II
Upgrading bose cubes to rear DT
Need soon 7.1 or 8.1 Receiver under $1000
"Full Range Low Level Output" avail on which brand receivers ?

Replys Please

Last edited:

2002TL

Audiophyte
Hookup on DT towers

What type connectors and guage wire do you recommend for use on DT towers and the 2500CC ?

Use pins or banana on the towers Hi-Mid ?

Anything special about the type RCA wire plug into the Full Range Low Freq Input ?

Or do you use the LFE instead on the towers ?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I prefer banana plugs because they give you a minimum of eight points of contact where bare wire and pins are limited to two. I also use 12 gauge on mine, but 14 or even 16 will be just fine depending on distance. The general consesus is to just use speaker wire and have the speakers internal crossover handle the seperation between upper, mid and lows. I have tried both ways and have found that ordinary speaker wire connection is best and easiest to use.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Locking bananas are best.

I use 9AWG speaker's cable for my center, 10AWG for my two front mains, and 12AWG for all others.

But single bananas (without locks) will do, and 12AWG for the front speakers, and 14AWG for all your surrounds is great, just don't go lower than that if you can.

Bob

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone ever bought any DefTech products from Digital Craze . com? They have a good price for a certain set of brand new speakers that I'm looking for. I want to make sure there legit and the speakers will have a warranty. Plus they have free shipping and tax is included in the price well below MSRP. I'm scratching my head wondering if I should bite the bullet even though they arent listed on DefTechs site. My local independent dealer said he cant match the price and he doesnt have them in stock anyways (he doesnt even seem like he really wants to sell me DefTechs, just something he has in stock) and the Magnolia Best Buy wont budge off of MSRP.

db
Don't Do It.

Just talk to other sales rep from authorized online dealers, and they can probably match Digitalcraze's prices.

For example, my local DT dealer matched digitalcraze's price on my DT speakers.

Itschris ordered some speakers from digitalcraze. He eventually got them, but it took them like a month.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not knocking DTs, you just want your front 3 to be timbre matched thats all:)
Yeah, I agree.

If you use B&W front Left & Right, then you need to get a matching B&W Center.

Heck, I'll even go one up.

If you use B&W front Left & Right, you might as well get a matching B&W Center, Surrounds, and Subwoofer.:D:D

K

klipschfan

Audioholic Intern
DefTech Owners thread! wOOt

My 7 year old Def Techs are still going strong, but needed some recent minor work done.

Mains: BP2006TL's
Center: C/L/R-2300
Side and Back Surrounds: BP2X

I had to replace the sub amps in the 2006's labout 2 months ago, as they both suddenly quit powering on. E-mailed DefTech and they agreed to sale me just the amps for $160 for the pair. Turns out, the amps modules were no longer available under the old part numbers, but a new, identical model out of one of the stand alone powered subs was, and they shipped me those instead. They also shipped the pre-amp/back panel for each tower, at no additional cost. I replaced the amp modules only, but have noticed that on one of the towers the sub is CONSTANTLY outputting some kind of noise, so the amp is obviously not turning itself off. I will end up putting in the new pre-amp/back panels due to this, very soon.

I am not sure as to why, but I have grown unhappy with the sound of the bipolar towers, and may be looking to sale them off before long and picking up 2 more c/l/r-2300's and just use 3 of them across the front. At the same time, the upgrade bug is hitting me and I may look into an entirely different speaker line due to it. Nothing against the Def Tech's, I just think I may want to try something new.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DefTech Owners thread! wOOt

My 7 year old Def Techs are still going strong, but needed some recent minor work done.

Mains: BP2006TL's
Center: C/L/R-2300
Side and Back Surrounds: BP2X

I had to replace the sub amps in the 2006's labout 2 months ago, as they both suddenly quit powering on. E-mailed DefTech and they agreed to sale me just the amps for $160 for the pair. Turns out, the amps modules were no longer available under the old part numbers, but a new, identical model out of one of the stand alone powered subs was, and they shipped me those instead. They also shipped the pre-amp/back panel for each tower, at no additional cost. I replaced the amp modules only, but have noticed that on one of the towers the sub is CONSTANTLY outputting some kind of noise, so the amp is obviously not turning itself off. I will end up putting in the new pre-amp/back panels due to this, very soon.

I am not sure as to why, but I have grown unhappy with the sound of the bipolar towers, and may be looking to sale them off before long and picking up 2 more c/l/r-2300's and just use 3 of them across the front. At the same time, the upgrade bug is hitting me and I may look into an entirely different speaker line due to it. Nothing against the Def Tech's, I just think I may want to try something new.
What kind of HT room do you have?

What is your budget?

If I were to do it all over again, I would audition 20 different speakers extensively before buying. I would save up the money in the mean time.

I have listened to speakers that cost $22K/pr, and I can't say they sounded extremely differently than some speakers that cost $3K - $5K/pr.

K

klipschfan

Audioholic Intern
I don't have a "HT room", so to speak. Just a small 15x15 room with an opening to a kitchen at one end, a hallway on the far right side at the other. I have had 4 different HT setups (all relatively small), as well as experience with my cousin's setup, a friends setup, and my parents. Plus my 6 years of an employee at a home theater/car audio shop.

In fact, I made my Def Tech purchase without ever listening to them. While the company was an authorized dealer, my store was too close to another dealer and wasn't allowed to have the speakers in stock. I had to buy them before they could be sent to me (and only employees could buy them). I purchased them for one reason and one reason only, the sub in the center channel. I had become a firm believer that the center channel needed quiet a bit more bass to match up better with, typically larger, mains. I must say the speakers have never disappointed me (until the built in amps in the towers quit on me and I had to replace them, but I know that just happens sometimes). But for some reason, I just don't find myself as thrilled with the way the bipolar towers sound as I used too. Its hard to explain.

I find myself wanting to go back to my original favorite speaker brand, which as my name implies, is Klipsch. When the purchase was made on the Def Techs I listened to as much music at home as I did watch movies, and I prefer the sound of the Def Techs for music over the Klipsch speakers. But in the last 3 years or so its become 95% movies, 5% music. And I do like the sound of the horns better for movies. My only problem is, I don't really care for (and I can't figure out why totally) the Klipsch center channels and the way they match up with the towers. To me, they aren't as tonally balanced as other brands are. I can tell a slight difference when sound pans from left to right. The only way for me to avoid this is to get the exact same speaker and put them all across the front. Its going to be difficult to do 3 towers across the front without mounting my plasma over the center one on the wall (which isn't possible where I currently live), or do 3 centers across the front. But then, I am not impressed with the low end output of any of the Klipsch centers, save for the RC64, which I cannot afford yet. Ideally the THX Ultra 2 system would be the best for me, but I wont be able to afford that thing for years.

I may just stick with Def Tech for a while and might try out the 3 C/L/R-2300's across the front. That would be my cheapest option overall ( I have access to dealer discount still for Def Tech too ). Maybe wait and see if Klipsch releases as speakers at some point that I like that 3 identical speakers can be used across the front.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a "HT room", so to speak. Just a small 15x15 room with an opening to a kitchen at one end, a hallway on the far right side at the other. I have had 4 different HT setups (all relatively small), as well as experience with my cousin's setup, a friends setup, and my parents. Plus my 6 years of an employee at a home theater/car audio shop.

In fact, I made my Def Tech purchase without ever listening to them. While the company was an authorized dealer, my store was too close to another dealer and wasn't allowed to have the speakers in stock. I had to buy them before they could be sent to me (and only employees could buy them). I purchased them for one reason and one reason only, the sub in the center channel. I had become a firm believer that the center channel needed quiet a bit more bass to match up better with, typically larger, mains. I must say the speakers have never disappointed me (until the built in amps in the towers quit on me and I had to replace them, but I know that just happens sometimes). But for some reason, I just don't find myself as thrilled with the way the bipolar towers sound as I used too. Its hard to explain.

I find myself wanting to go back to my original favorite speaker brand, which as my name implies, is Klipsch. When the purchase was made on the Def Techs I listened to as much music at home as I did watch movies, and I prefer the sound of the Def Techs for music over the Klipsch speakers. But in the last 3 years or so its become 95% movies, 5% music. And I do like the sound of the horns better for movies. My only problem is, I don't really care for (and I can't figure out why totally) the Klipsch center channels and the way they match up with the towers. To me, they aren't as tonally balanced as other brands are. I can tell a slight difference when sound pans from left to right. The only way for me to avoid this is to get the exact same speaker and put them all across the front. Its going to be difficult to do 3 towers across the front without mounting my plasma over the center one on the wall (which isn't possible where I currently live), or do 3 centers across the front. But then, I am not impressed with the low end output of any of the Klipsch centers, save for the RC64, which I cannot afford yet. Ideally the THX Ultra 2 system would be the best for me, but I wont be able to afford that thing for years.

I may just stick with Def Tech for a while and might try out the 3 C/L/R-2300's across the front. That would be my cheapest option overall ( I have access to dealer discount still for Def Tech too ). Maybe wait and see if Klipsch releases as speakers at some point that I like that 3 identical speakers can be used across the front.
I would try to reposition the Def Tech Bipolars first before spending any money. Try to move them as far away from all the walls as possible.

But if you do change, I think three CLR2300s would sound great.:D

D

db682

Audiophyte
Just wanted to let everyone know if you ever doubted the DefTech AW6500 outdoor speakers you should be ashamed of yourselves. I ordered a pair and to had my doubts but after demoing them in my back yard against the Klipsch AW-650, and the Polk Atrium 60's I am so happy I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered them. My neighbor has the Algonquins and came and listened with me and said that he will soon be investing in the DefTechs as well.

I have a Yamaha Reciever that pushs out somewhere around 100w per channel (not much for a backyard). I basically turned on "B" speakers (outdoor speakers), turned off "A" speakers home theater room speakers and set the effects to off and ran simple stereo setting. I kept all bass and treble setting to an even midpoint setting. All the speakers have the same basic mounting holes so I installed the anchors (per the DefTech bracket) in the drywall ceiling of my open air, covered patio. In case it matters it has a 12' ceiling height.

First went the DefTechs. Sounded absolutly amazing from the start. I adjusted the volume so the we could here the speakers throughout the entire yard (1 acre of fenced in land). It was about 35-45% of the full power adjustment knob. Up next to the house we couldnt even talk to each other it was so loud (my wife and probably my other neighbors werent to happy about that). But it was crystal clear. We first listened to some of one of the football games that was on TV and then switched to music. Both sounded great no matter where you were in the yard.

After about 30 minutes (or 2 beers later) we switched to the Polks. Didnt touch any settings and first thing we noticed was that the polks werent near as loud or clear in the yard or next to the house. Same deal, more football and more music. They started to sound scratchy and walling out after a couple of minutes of the music. Down they went before we did any damage to them.

Next the Klipsch's went up. They did sound real good also (up next to the house) but didnt have the bass of the DefTech's. It was easily noticeable in the yard when all you could hear was the hi's and some mid's. We sat down at the table again listened to some more football and drank some more Sam Adams. We both agreed they would be good for sports and news stuff but didnt standup next the the DefTech's in music.

Put the DefTech's back up and mounted them in a more permanant fashion. Let them play while I cleaned everything up and then figured the neighbors have had enough.

This past Monday I returned the Polks to BestBuy and they didnt give me any problems. I told them I wasnt happy with them and they just charged it back to my credit card. I also went and returned the Klipsch's back to the local small dealer here who was a little less willing to rip up the credit card slip. He kept wanting me to try something else and telling me that he could have somebody "calibrate" my reciever to make them sound better and that I was possibly underpowering them. I held back the laughs, walked around the store for a minute and cranked the displays up loud enough to get his other employee to follow me and turn them down. I told the employee that his boss said that if it doesnt sound good at a low volume that it is under powered and that I figured if I turned up the volume they should sound better. He wasnt amused. I went back and told the owner that nothing else impressed me and he agreed to give me the carbon copy back and I shreded it. I called American Express from the parking lot and told them to notify me of any charges to the card from the shop and that I was concerned that they still had the number. They said that they noted it on my account and that they will reverse all charges I dispute from any business should any arise and they are sending me a new card since it expires soon.

Sorry for the long post but man I was impressed with the DefTech's. I dont normally post personal reviews because someone always says it was done right or my equipment sucks or something, but I'm bored so here you go.

db

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Good post db, I have helped install well over 100 HT systems and still love my 7.1 Defetch setup (granted many an hour was spent in placement) but I still love the overall fantastic sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis