Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you hang the ProCinema 600s on a nail with that keyhole slot in the back pretty securely? Or is there a better way to mount them on the wall? What kind of nail works best if you end up doing it with the keyhole?
Email Chet Pelkowski (Chet.Pelkowski@definitivetech.com) and he will give you some good advice.:D

F

fletch140

Audiophyte
sorry, one more question. what speaker wire is best for these speakers? I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR607

F

fletch140

Audiophyte
right, i know to go there, but not sure what type/style of wire to purchase to run from the AVR to the speakers. I can't drop it behind the wall so it will be running along the bottom of the wall.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
14ga is always a safe bet, maybe even a little overkill for most home systems. Unless you have an extremely long run, like 100ft or so, then go to 12ga. There is a detailed thread about wire size but I'm not sure how to find it quickly right now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
right, i know to go there, but not sure what type/style of wire to purchase to run from the AVR to the speakers. I can't drop it behind the wall so it will be running along the bottom of the wall.
I would get these right here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2820&seq=1&format=2

And if you want to be fancy, get some heat shrink:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=5849&seq=1&format=2

And LOCKING banana plugs:
http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Check out what I did with my speaker cables (click link to photobucket). I braided them just for looks.:D

R

renegade87

Junior Audioholic
My sig lists my current setup. but, I'm looking at moving the BP7006's to the rear and replacing them with the BP7002's.

On eBay last weekend I lost a pair of the BP7000SC's with 5 seconds to go in the auction:mad:

Anyways, the 7002's will sound great in my "Man Cave" without overwhelming the room enitrely with their size.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you think the 7002s are going to be overwhelming, why were you bidding on BP7000SCs? I have a pair of BP7001SCs in my living room and they are very large, but they don't look as big as they really are sitting next to my 73" tv.

T

TTUEagle

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone

New member, trolling for information and experience from other Def Tech owners/enthusiasts.

Great thread!

TTUEagle
AVR: Denon 4806 (upgraded)
TV: Panny 50" Plasma
Speakers: (2) BP 7002s, (1) CLR 3000, (4) BPVXs, saving for a sub, or two!

Last edited by a moderator:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome TTUEagle, checkout the subwoofer forum for the best options. DT subs are nice, but there are better bang/$$ options.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with AVRat completely. I would go Hsu or SVS before Def Tech for subs in general.

Also, sorry to disappoint you all, but I've decided to sell my entire setup and replace it with some Bose gear. Don't fret my friends, I will hang myself shortly afterwards.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
bose? I hope you are kidding... on a more positive note, I picked up another pair of BP10's on craigslist this weekend for $300, they sound amazing, just as I knew they would.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
Could use some advice.A buddy of mine just picked up 6 def.tech. promonitor 100's(same as i used to have).I recommended him the c2 center which unfortunately he may not be able to get.But there is a procenter 100 mk2 available.How different is the mk2 center compared to the older procenter 100 .I've not kept up with the def. tech's so i would appreciate any insight thanks.

Last edited:
Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Bp7002

My listening room is 18' x 22' with 12' ceiling. I use (2) Def Tech BP7002s for my mains, a C/L/R 2300 center, (4) BPX Bipolar for side and rear surrounds, and (3) Hsu VTF-3 MK2 Subwoofers. Overkill? Don't be ridiculous. What I'd like to know is how much dynamic range, impact and overall wow factor the 7002s are giving up to their bigger brothers, the BP7001SC and BP7000SC? I have all the extra juice I need to feed these suckers whatever they desire, but will the extra dough spent on either of these behemoths really transport me into such realms of sonic rapture that I would never consider second guessing my extra cash outlay? In other words, how much better, really, are the two flagship Def Tech towers over the third level 7002s? Should I forget about it and just enjoy what I have? Are true audioholics so easily satisfied? Those unsure of the correct answers are obviously in the wrong forum.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Starmax, the only benefit of the more powerful towers is deeper bass extension. Something that can be done with a properly placed sub. I have BP7001s, and LCR2002 (with Prosub 800 attached) SM450's and Mythos gems and SVS sub, if I could do it all over, I would go with 7 450's and dual SVS's and save some money.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
So there's no added benefit in the mid to high range over the BP7002? These are cosmetic stud boxes?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
No not really, in fact according to Chet at DefTech who told me that the 5.25" drivers acvtually are tighter sounding and have more control than the 6.5" drivers in the 7001s, as long as you have a decent sub you won't need the real ddep bass.

I have my 7001s crossed at 40Hz because when set to large the bass becomes very muddy, so I cross them at 40Hz and even the 7002 can handle 40hz.

In fact I kept my LCR2002 and added a Prosub so that i get the benefit oif a better sounding center than the higher priced LCR3000. that's when Chet told me that I would get tighter control with the 5.25: drivers and the added sub (center duty only crossed at 40hz also) gives me the deep bass to keep up with my 7001s and is very tight and controlled.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis