Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, excellent post by the way.

I've gotten to a point where I no longer care which brands of speakers people like.

If people say they hate DefTechs, I don't even care.:cool:

I am not a DefTech-Defender.:D

Anyway, I've been watching a million BD movies on my HTPC lately for quite a while now.

So I have not been listening to music for some times.

Then yesterday, I decided to listen to some music.

Man, it sounded so AWESOME.

I hope my DefTechs last forever.:D

F

foobagger

Audiophyte
PF-15: Driver still ticking after more years than I can recall

The Amp panel gave out long ago. DefTech sent me three others, but they all had the same problem. So I ripped out the amp and use an external amp (M-200 from Outlaw - essentially the same amp as NHT used to use for their sub, I think).

Sounds better than new, but occasionally gets staticky at low volume. So I send it a test tone at max decibels and shake the house for a few seconds. It cleans out the cobwebs, I guess, and then it sounds fine again. Go figure.

How long should the driver cone last? I know I'm on borrowed time. Any suggestions what modern sub would be a good replacement when that time comes around? Deftech or ? Or another driver to stick in the PF15 cube?

K

klipschfan

Audioholic Intern
It seems I am still having problems with the woofers on my towers.

The left tower's sub has a constant hum. I have now replaced the original amp (it went out) and got things playing again, but has this every present hum. I changed out the back plaet/pre-amp and still has the hum. Even when the indicator light indicates its off.

The right side tower now has a pop comes in every 10 seconds or so thats 3 or 4 pops in a row in a quick burst. Otherwise it is fine. It does this even when no audio input is going to the speaker. I have replaced its original amp as well (as it too had went bad) but havn't replaced the pre-amp yet.

This is getting annoying.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems I am still having problems with the woofers on my towers.

The left tower's sub has a constant hum. I have now replaced the original amp (it went out) and got things playing again, but has this every present hum. I changed out the back plaet/pre-amp and still has the hum. Even when the indicator light indicates its off.

The right side tower now has a pop comes in every 10 seconds or so thats 3 or 4 pops in a row in a quick burst. Otherwise it is fine. It does this even when no audio input is going to the speaker. I have replaced its original amp as well (as it too had went bad) but havn't replaced the pre-amp yet.

This is getting annoying.
Did you buy it at an authorized dealer?

I would just take it to the dealer and have them repair it at DefTech.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Amp panel gave out long ago. DefTech sent me three others, but they all had the same problem. So I ripped out the amp and use an external amp (M-200 from Outlaw - essentially the same amp as NHT used to use for their sub, I think).

Sounds better than new, but occasionally gets staticky at low volume. So I send it a test tone at max decibels and shake the house for a few seconds. It cleans out the cobwebs, I guess, and then it sounds fine again. Go figure.

How long should the driver cone last? I know I'm on borrowed time. Any suggestions what modern sub would be a good replacement when that time comes around? Deftech or ? Or another driver to stick in the PF15 cube?
I would think the drivers should last 20 yrs or more.

If you are worried about reliability, I would look into those passive subs that require an external amplifier. I had an NHT SW2P passive sub + ext Amp for a long time. It's still going strong at my brother's house after 16 yrs.:D

K

klipschfan

Audioholic Intern
Did you buy it at an authorized dealer?

I would just take it to the dealer and have them repair it at DefTech.
They are a couple years out of warranty, and I just purchased new internal amps and back plates 2 months ago and installed them. These are the new ones. They have made this noise since the day I put them in. The other amps completely quit working. I was wondering if I was picking up some feedback from something, but my center channels sub (its a C/L/R/-2300) hasn't had any problems or noises.

R

ryneex

Audiophyte
Hello everyone just picked up some floor model mythos ones from best buy. I paid 900 for both, i think i got a hell of a deal. I was wondering what you guys think about getting the best buy warranty and was it a good purchase for them. Im pretty happy they sound amazing. I also had a question about what is the best wire to hook them up these are the first nice speakers i have ever owned and have them hooked up with the cheapest wires you can buy. Thanks

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
regular cheap speaker wire works just fine for hooking them up, just use anything from 16 to 12 gauge and you will be fine.

S

Socialcircle

Enthusiast
CLR 2000 Center Channel

I own a Def Tech C/L/R 2000 Center Channel. It gave me a good bit of pleasure. However, I just replaced it with a Dynaudio Contour Center to match my Dynaudio 1.3MKIIs. If anyone wants a great deal on my Def Tech C/L/R 2000, then please let me know.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello everyone just picked up some floor model mythos ones from best buy. I paid 900 for both, i think i got a hell of a deal. I was wondering what you guys think about getting the best buy warranty and was it a good purchase for them. Im pretty happy they sound amazing. I also had a question about what is the best wire to hook them up these are the first nice speakers i have ever owned and have them hooked up with the cheapest wires you can buy. Thanks
I would never get any extended warranty, but that's just me.:D

The price seems pretty good. Amazon has them for $1K shipped.

These white speaker wires from monoprice look pretty good to me:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2820&seq=1&format=2

Then I would get locking banana plugs from blue jeans cable:
http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

And don't forget the heat shrink tubings:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052005&p_id=5849&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I agree the extended warranty is not needed (especially for non powered speakers) they are gonna work right out of the box or not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are a couple years out of warranty, and I just purchased new internal amps and back plates 2 months ago and installed them. These are the new ones. They have made this noise since the day I put them in. The other amps completely quit working. I was wondering if I was picking up some feedback from something, but my center channels sub (its a C/L/R/-2300) hasn't had any problems or noises.
Why don't you email Chet Pelkowski: Chet.Pelkowski@definitivetech.com

He is the expert.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wanna sell my DT gear and get the Mythos set. I love these, but bipolar in my listening environment just doesn't work. :(

I

ireneibhaskaran

Audiophyte
Definitive Technology Mythos STS or Unpowered Tower + Velodyne SPL1000R

See post Definitive Technology Mythos STS or Unpowered Tower + Velodyne SPL1000R

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wanna sell my DT gear and get the Mythos set. I love these, but bipolar in my listening environment just doesn't work. :(
Yeah, after all those rave reviews regarding the Mythos STS, I would be excited too.

Didn't Sound & Vision give it "Audio Product of The Year"?

Those bipolars are kind of picky. I was fortunate it worked out extremely well in my room. Otherwise, I would have gotten the flagship Mythos ST.:D

F

fletch140

Audiophyte
I have a 15x15 (ish) carpeted living room and am buying my first set of speakers to go with a new Sony STR-DN1000. I want a 5.1 set of good all around speakers that will also be versatile should I move into a new larger and more open living room (perhaps wood flooring instead). What do people think regarding the following comparison:

Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 at $800
vs.
Mirage Nanosat Prestige 5.0 set with the S8 sub at $700 for the 5.1 package

To the untrained ear, which is the better all-purpose speaker?
Which is the more versatile speaker for different sized rooms?
I am only looking at these 2 sets because I want satellites that I can mount...don't want stands or bookshelf type speakers. Also, $800 is the most i'm willing to spend on speakers. Thoughts??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 15x15 (ish) carpeted living room and am buying my first set of speakers to go with a new Sony STR-DN1000. I want a 5.1 set of good all around speakers that will also be versatile should I move into a new larger and more open living room (perhaps wood flooring instead). What do people think regarding the following comparison:

Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 at $800
vs.
Mirage Nanosat Prestige 5.0 set with the S8 sub at $700 for the 5.1 package

To the untrained ear, which is the better all-purpose speaker?
Which is the more versatile speaker for different sized rooms?
I am only looking at these 2 sets because I want satellites that I can mount...don't want stands or bookshelf type speakers. Also, $800 is the most i'm willing to spend on speakers. Thoughts??
Definitive Technology ALL THE WAY, man!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow...that was unexpected.:p
Well, they didn't call this the Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread for nothing!:p

Now go back to your Dynaudio Speaker Owner's Thread, why don't you?:p

Last edited:
F

fletch140

Audiophyte
Can you hang the ProCinema 600s on a nail with that keyhole slot in the back pretty securely? Or is there a better way to mount them on the wall? What kind of nail works best if you end up doing it with the keyhole?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis