Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Goodness, your BP7006s are way too close to the TV cabinet and the right speaker is way too close to the side wall!

I think Mythos will sound better in your case.

$750 (50% off) is too much for the one STS?

Exqueeze me? Baking Powder?:D

Who's in charge around here?:eek:

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Goodness, your BP7006s are way too close to the TV cabinet and the right speaker is way too close to the side wall!

I think Mythos will sound better in your case.

$750 (50% off) is too much for the one STS?

Exqueeze me? Baking Powder?:D

Who's in charge around here?:eek:
It's too much when I get get a pair of Mythos Fours for the same price. =\

I know, but look at the layout. Not much I can do about it. I can't find any other way to orient stuff.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know, but look at the layout. Not much I can do about it. I can't find any other way to orient stuff.
How about putting the speakers in front of the TV cabinet, instead of beside it?

Yeah, I say move the cabinet to the left towards the door to give more room on the right side.

Then put the speakers in front of the cabinet. This will give you some more distance from the front and side walls.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
See the white thing? Shag rug. The woman picked that...

So speakers in front, not gonna work really... :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
See the white thing? Shag rug. The woman picked that...

So speakers in front, not gonna work really... :(
Oh, man, compromises compromises.

You need your own dedicated HT room one of these days.

I told my wife that she can do whatever she wishes with the rest of the house, but my Home Theater Room is mine! No negotiaions period.:D

Well, then I think the Mythos will sound better due to the limitations/compromises you have.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I also read over at AVS that DefTech has now confirmed that they have discontinued making the BP7001s as well as the StudioMonitor 350/450's :eek: :( Sad day. The 7001s are (were) some of the best speakers that DT ever made, they are still gonna make the remaining 7XXX series, but just not the 7001. The next closest is the 7000sc but at 1,700.00 more.

This si what pisses me off about DT is they make crappy lower end speakers (the gems come to mind, I know they're crappy cause I own a pair) yet discontinue their most awesome speakers. First the PowerMonitors with the built in powered subs, now the 350's/450's which are some of the best bookshelves ever made and now the 7001sc. They are gearing the line more towards the Mythos line. Don't get me wrong the upper end Mythos (ST, STS are fine speakers, but if given the choice between the STS and the BP7001sc, for the same price, I would choose the 7001sc every single time.

The other line they got rid of which was the best deal out there, were the BP 10, 10 and especially the BP-30's geez you pair those up with a sub and you have performance per dollar system that beats anything out there. :mad:

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Question to the experts.

From the Definitive Technology speaker's experts, I want to ask this question:

What you guys think of their subs? In particular the Powerfield 15TL (vented, transmission line) and the Powerfield 15 (sealed, acoustic suspension).

LOTR

M

murl

Full Audioholic
I also read over at AVS that DefTech has now confirmed that they have discontinued making the BP7001s as well as the StudioMonitor 350/450's :eek: :( Sad day. The 7001s are (were) some of the best speakers that DT ever made, they are still gonna make the remaining 7XXX series, but just not the 7001. The next closest is the 7000sc but at 1,700.00 more.

This si what pisses me off about DT is they make crappy lower end speakers (the gems come to mind, I know they're crappy cause I own a pair) yet discontinue their most awesome speakers. First the PowerMonitors with the built in powered subs, now the 350's/450's which are some of the best bookshelves ever made and now the 7001sc. They are gearing the line more towards the Mythos line. Don't get me wrong the upper end Mythos (ST, STS are fine speakers, but if given the choice between the STS and the BP7001sc, for the same price, I would choose the 7001sc every single time.

The other line they got rid of which was the best deal out there, were the BP 10, 10 and especially the BP-30's geez you pair those up with a sub and you have performance per dollar system that beats anything out there. :mad:
Don't they still make the BP-10Bs? I sure hope so, I was planning on buying another pair for 7.x when we move. I will also solve the equation for "x" when we move :D

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Murl, I bought a pair over a year ago on closeout and the salesman told me then that they were no longer carrying the BP10 and I notice that all stores are tying to clear out the BP6's now. It appears to me that DefTech is completely getting out of the non powered BP speakers and the studio monitors, and I was shocked to hear that they are no longer making the BP7001 which up until now has been a very stong seller for those willing to spend a wee bit more but not spend so much on their flagship.

All I know is that the sound quality to me of the BP7001 is far superior to the Mythos STS (especially in larger rooms) I do feel that the STS has slightly tighter sound, but is severly limited by bass output in large rooms, while the 7000/7001 have more than enough to spare.

Mr dream system would be 7000 as mains and 7001's all the way around with PB13 Ultras on all four sides. Oh well it was a nice dream.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Murl, I bought a pair over a year ago on closeout and the salesman told me then that they were no longer carrying the BP10 and I notice that all stores are tying to clear out the BP6's now. It appears to me that DefTech is completely getting out of the non powered BP speakers and the studio monitors, and I was shocked to hear that they are no longer making the BP7001 which up until now has been a very stong seller for those willing to spend a wee bit more but not spend so much on their flagship.

All I know is that the sound quality to me of the BP7001 is far superior to the Mythos STS (especially in larger rooms) I do feel that the STS has slightly tighter sound, but is severly limited by bass output in large rooms, while the 7000/7001 have more than enough to spare.

Mr dream system would be 7000 as mains and 7001's all the way around with PB13 Ultras on all four sides. Oh well it was a nice dream.
Hey there is always ebay. I picked up my pair of BP10Bs for 375 shipped. It's not my dream but I plan on having BP20000TLs for mains BP10Bs for surr, and surr back, CLR3000 for center and I haven't picked a sub. When the time comes for a sub I'm going to have to do some listening. I may have to travel to other members places to demo subs lol because there certainly aren't any stores around here. I have thought about buying a pair of 7000scs in the future, my friends pair of BP 2000s and have 4 BP2000s as surr and surr back, that would be awesome.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
NOOOOOO!!!!!

The white van company is now hitting ebay with the beloved name of "Definitive" being used. This douche even included in his description a picture of the STS (which in no way resembles this POS speaker (which BTW weighs a whopping 23 lbs for a "powered" tower speaker. They even stole the same font as DT on the box to say "Definitive"

Man oh man I sure with they didn't do away with flogging. Friggin Douchebag supreme in my book.

BTW I love the frequency response, " +/- .05db" WTF. Oh and it's not only magnetically shielded but Magnetic and Video Shielded (cause I hate when my speakers start playing video)

But hey they are from the United Kingdom, so the guy has to be telling the truth huh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-DST-303-1-pair_W0QQitemZ320385676703QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item4a9879759f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1234%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited:
T

TheOne

Audiophyte
Mythos centers

Hi, I would like to get some unbiased opinions about the mythos 3 and mythos 8. I currently have the gems for my rears and will be purchasing the mythos 1's for my R/L. But I am torn between either the 3 and the 8 for the center speaker. Is there a noticeable sound difference between the two and if so is it worth the extra cash? I know the 8 matches the 1's better but is that enough to not get the 3? Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
TheOne, you always want to get matching (timbre) sound from all the speakers, this way you have perfect panning from left to right without a change in sound. You don't want a truck sound going VRRRRRRRR-vrrrrrrrrrr-VRRRRRRRR from left to right, you want it VRRRRRRRRR all the way through. I would go with the 8, or if you can go with another 1 to have three matching speakers across the front, but if placement is tricky, go with the 8.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Quick question -- I have the chance to buy a pair of Mythos STS that are only 4 months old and have little use on them --- basically new STS's for $1,700. I just wanted some input on weather these would provide and improvement over my RTi12's or am I just in an 'upgrade-itis' moment??:confused:

I should add I have heard the ST's which were impressive speakers I thought, not totally pure but provided alot of sonic punch...

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Bpvx

What are your thoughts on the BPVX's.......I not the BPVX/P mains....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Quick question -- I have the chance to buy a pair of Mythos STS that are only 4 months old and have little use on them --- basically new STS's for $1,700. I just wanted some input on weather these would provide and improvement over my RTi12's or am I just in an 'upgrade-itis' moment??:confused:

I should add I have heard the ST's which were impressive speakers I thought, not totally pure but provided alot of sonic punch...
A month ago, Amazon had those Def Tech STS for $1500/pair BRAND NEW + Free Shipping!

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Are you serious....was it for the silver finish?? I have seen the silver models getting discounted big-time....wonder what drive a price like that???

H

Hwypirt

Audioholic Intern
A month ago, Amazon had those Def Tech STS for $1500/pair BRAND NEW + Free Shipping!
Hard to believe my brother! How many sets did you pick up? If I had seen it I would have picked some up for my rears and moved the gem xl's into the bedroom. Next time you see a deal like that, pm me and I will owe you one.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis