Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Well its not as cool as ninja or samurai or somethin, but hey, no longer a general.

Apparently this is a Field Marshal

Oh, and "Field Marshall" is spelled wrong... it should have only 1 "L" I'm pretty sure...

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm typing on my new wireless keyboard with my MacBook connected to my new Panny 50". I don't know how often I'll do AH this way, but now I have a good way to do Netflix without buying a different blu-ray player or a new computer. Woohoo!
Adam, does your Crapple have DVI, HDMI, or a DisplayPort, or are you running on an inferior analog video connection? Also, do you have digital audio out on your Crapple, or are you using an inferior analog audio connection? (Sorry to steal your thunder, if that is indeed what I am doing, but I am still doing it... ;))

Congrats on Marshall, other Adam. I wonder what this Marshall fellow is doing in a field. He sounds old, maybe he is an old-timey farmer guy that just uses a hoe (-not 'ho') to till his earth - I assume by the word field being in front of his name that field is referring his career in the farming industry...

That's my theory.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well its not as cool as ninja or samurai or somethin, but hey, no longer a general.
Congrats, man! Very cool. Your photo reminded me of when I searched for a Field Marshal photo when a buddy became one a couple of years ago - I think that I posted this image:

Anyway...congrats!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, does your Crapple have DVI, HDMI, or a DisplayPort, or are you running on an inferior analog video connection? Also, do you have digital audio out on your Crapple, or are you using an inferior analog audio connection? (Sorry to steal your thunder, if that is indeed what I am doing, but I am still doing it... ;))
You're not stealing my thunder at all! I don't even know what thunder I had. :)

My MacBook has a mini-DVI port, and I have a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (from MonoPrice). It also has an optical digital audio output that I connect to my receiver.

Analog? Puh-lease. :D

strube

strube

You're not stealing my thunder at all! I don't even know what thunder I had. :)

My MacBook has a mini-DVI port, and I have a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (from MonoPrice). It also has an optical digital audio output that I connect to my receiver.

Analog? Puh-lease. :D
Good show old chap!

I should have known you would be on top of things, but you were still watching things on a big heavy CRT not to long ago, so I just thought I would check! ;)

I am really hard on those Macs because of their unfriendliness towards what I would consider "power users," (aka uber-computer nerds like me) but they do usually seem to have the best external connections available...

Oh yeah one more thing: cheers to Monoprice!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am really hard on those Macs because of their unfriendliness towards what I would consider "power users," (aka uber-computer nerds like me) but they do usually seem to have the best external connections available...
My oldest brother is what I'd call a "power user," and he loves Macs. Part of it is the Unix-based OS, I believe. I've never done it, but apparently you can work on it using command lines within a Unix shell. 15 years ago, I would have thought "cool!" Now, I just wanna drink some beer and post. :D

I actually find their external connections to be inferior to PC laptops. I like having universal ports like DVI ports instead of some special port that requires a special adapter.

You just made 2 dollars..
I wish. That would snag me a canned Starbucks doubleshot. Mmmm. :)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I've been using PC forever, bought a high end thinkpad a few months ago for graphic stuff.

I'm now using an iMac exclusively for all that. I also really like keynote instead of powerpoint for presentations and what not.

For daily computing and useless AH posts, I'll stick with my pc.

I guess power user is an objective term, but I do play a lot and I mean A LOT of flash based online games... :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I like both PCs and Macs. After all, Firefox is Firefox, regardless of which of the two OS's that you're using. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm starting to hit the wall again, so I'm going to call it a night. I hope that everyone has a great one. Tomorrow will be more relaxing, though.

strube

strube

My oldest brother is what I'd call a "power user," and he loves Macs. Part of it is the Unix-based OS, I believe. I've never done it, but apparently you can work on it using command lines within a Unix shell. 15 years ago, I would have thought "cool!" Now, I just wanna drink some beer and post. :D

I actually find their external connections to be inferior to PC laptops. I like having universal ports like DVI ports instead of some special port that requires a special adapter.
I guess when I was referring to power user I was thinking building them from scratch, which you can't really do with a Mac. I have had some very bad experiences with them too though, which probably made me bitter. :)

Oh and I think Unix/Linux is overrated (don't let my fellow nerds hear that). I couldn't get my Intel RAID array to work for the life of me - and I know what I am doing (at least I think I do) - big points in the negative for the "power" part of power user.

Many of the new PC laptops have DisplayPorts, sadly. Fortunately mine isn't new enough so it just has one of those old HDMI ports. I had a surprisingly tough time finding a 15.4" with digital anything out (or discrete graphics for that matter) when I was shopping for them, way back in 2007. That seems to have changed...

I think my Benadryl is really messing with me. My wife said I was really mean to my mom on the phone. I didn't even know it. With that I say, sorry if I sound mean. I don't mean to if I do, and if I do blame the drugs. I had to take them though - I was suffocating from some weird dust that was blowing in the wind.

Good evening gentlemen. I am sure you are all sick of the nerd talk...

...Wait. Who am I kidding. :D

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
Nighty night Adam....I seem to be on a different time schedule than you these days buddy..........

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I still only hand out two red chicklets to new spammers. I'm shooting for three. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Oh and I think Unix/Linux is overrated (don't let my fellow nerds hear that)

I think my Benadryl is really messing with me.
It better be because I heard and must say I'm shocked. I thought we knew you, but you went away and got corrupted. Time for shunning. :p

Unix is a great OS. Used for a lot of the important stuff. But guys do get way to hung up on the coolness of it. It's sad to see nerds get all turned on about an operating system. But I guess it's my job to be a nerd now so I find my off time is best served by watching nerd shows. Like Star Trek:TNG episodes. And of course playing Madden or NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis