Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you Seth=L.

I did get to page 10, post #91, but I then decided to abort after seing the picture from that post. :eek: ;)

* No arms intended, it's just a picture after all. ;)

Bob
LOL, Post # 91 has no picture. Post # 98 might be another story.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Are you sure?

LOL, Post # 91 has no picture. Post # 98 might be another story.
Post #91, no picture? Did you check carefully? I thought I saw a picture there, just at the left of the member's name: "highfihoney". ;)

* Of course Post #98 has a sweet picture, now that you bring me back to it. :)

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
The only thing I changed was that I put my amp on top of my receiver.
There's this comment on the Flickr page:
Sometimes those transformers suck the tin cover down and make noise or vibration. I have seen some amps with a bit of padding betwixt the two.
Could this be the case? In the new position it became easier to vibrate?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Distortion-free.

Put a component on top of another component is asking for Jesus to walk again on water. ;)

Trouble-free life is like when Moses split the ocean in two from the Ten Commandments. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Put a component on top of another component is asking for Jesus to walk again on water. ;)

Trouble-free life is like when Moses split the ocean in two from the Ten Commandments. ;)
I need to disagree. ;) It is an easy task for another water walking trick
And Moses, he had nothing but problems afterwards, no?:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Post #91, no picture? Did you check carefully? I thought I saw a picture there, just at the left of the member's name: "highfihoney". ;)

* Of course Post #98 has a sweet picture, now that you bring me back to it. :)
I didn't realize you meant his avatar, I guess that could scare somebody off the page.:D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
So, you finally get the picture (avatar).

I didn't realize you meant his avatar, I guess that could scare somebody off the page.:D
Ah, avatar, is that what you call it? I guess so, no need to answer that. ;)

And it did for me; scare the hell out of me, so much so, that I had to switch thread, and later come back to near the end of this thread, afraid that his avatar might still be in another post. :eek:
See, I'm quite sensitive to some pictures or "avatars". ;)
It's the same with foul language.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

So, with a pair of these Behringer A500 amps, in bridge mode (mono), you'll get at least 500 watts RMS per channel into 4-ohm loads, for your two front mains.

And only for $350/pair. Not bad at all. Should I sign in?

Are they reliable? Anyone with first hand experience knows?
Any more details about their true quality performance?

How does it compare to an Emotiva XPA-2 at $799 ($719 when on sale)?

Bob

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So, with a pair of these Behringer A500 amps, in bridge mode (mono), you'll get at least 500 watts RMS per channel into 4-ohm loads, for your two front mains.

Bob
Cosmetically the Emotiva wins hands down. I've read some reports of Emotiva stuff breaking down and being sent back to Emotiva for in warranty repair, not too much negative feedback on the Behringers other than some negative bias. A lot of pro users shun Behringer and write it off without even giving it a chance because of past events and low prices (snobby pro users want to look special spending all their money).

Emotiva apparently uses more dated derivatives of class a/b amplification making them much heavier. The MPS-2 uses class H, which is more efficient but still weighs a ton because of the modular design, we don't want the thing to fall appart while removing an amp cartridge now do we?:D

If I was going to deviate from Pro amps for power (assuming I was in that market) Emotiva wouldn't be on the top of my list, possibly void from the list entirely.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

Bob
The A500 is not designed to operate into a 4 Ohm load when bridged. It is rated 8 Ohms bridged.

As for the amp.... it's a crap shoot. Some of them in the past have had a manufacturing defect causing a slight distortion sound with high frequency transients. It's not a subtle thing - easily heard with piano solos for example when a mid to upper note is struck (you'll hear a static distortion sound trail for a few ms after the note is struck). You either get a properly operating one or you don't, it seems. Mike C had like 3 or 4, and all but one was defective. I had two, and both were defective. This defect is apparently isolated to the A500. The other Behringer amps have never had such a reported defect that I can find out about.

If you are willing to swap the fan(and it's very easy to do), I recommend the Behringer Ep2500. It's a powerhouse and wonderful performer and build quality is extremely high(better than most entry level hi fi amps in reality). It can handle virtually any load you desire. Has very low distortion and a very high S/N ratio (about -110dB).

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The A500 is not designed to operate into a 4 Ohm load when bridged. It is rated 8 Ohms bridged.

As for the amp.... it's a crap shoot. Some of them in the past have had a manufacturing defect causing a slight distortion sound with high frequency transients. It's not a subtle thing - easily heard with piano solos for example when a mid to upper note is struck (you'll hear a static distortion sound trail for a few ms after the note is struck). You either get a properly operating one or you don't, it seems. Mike C had like 3 or 4, and all but one was defective. I had two, and both were defective. This defect is apparently isolated to the A500. The other Behringer amps have never had such a reported defect that I can find out about.

If you are willing to swap the fan(and it's very easy to do), I recommend the Behringer Ep2500. It's a powerhouse and wonderful performer and build quality is extremely high(better than most entry level hi fi amps in reality). It can handle virtually any load you desire. Has very low distortion and a very high S/N ratio (about -110dB).

-Chris
I was unaware of this defect. I wonder if it's something they fixed in the more recent A500s. I never was particularly interested in that model (under the hood it just doesn't look all that impressive anyway).

I stand by what I said though, Emotiva feels like an audio fad.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, it was noticeable with piano notes (which i think is around 1khz)
i've read/watched a youtube vid stating that if the gain knobs are at max, there won't be this distortion.

i have on the other hand tapped a 2 ohm load on a bridge mono A500 (subwoofer load) for a song or two. :) very hot heat sinks.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I had 6 of them and sold one. I had an issue with only one and that was a faulty rheostat, and behringer replaced it with no problems. I have not noticed any distortion issues with any of mine and they have been very reliable. I run 3 bridged and two in stereo. For 200 bucks a pop and balanced inputs to boot it's hard to find fault with the amp.

I have never regretted my purchase, however, wmAx is correct about the EP2500. It is a tank and sounds wonderful too. I run my subs with it but I could very easily get a couple more and run the whole system with them. Best buy out there I think.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'm after Performance, Quality sound, Value and Reliability.

Thanks for all of you on your comments.

Wow! Interesting responses that I got from you guys.

Now I just totally forget about the A500, not worth the gamble in my book.
And even if the price is low, it's still a buy, and it's still an amp that I want to rely on. So, just forget it.

And Seth, I'm surprised at your response concerning the XPA-2.
Should I just forget about Emotiva all together too, is it all their model amps that are having few problems? How come so many people are raving about them?

Finally how much is the Behringer EP2500? Some links?

And I know that Bryston amps are more expensive, but is it also a piece of mind that I'm buying?

Bob

Note: I want 3 ohms stability, longetivity, durability, convenience, sound quality, value and premium service from a reputable company.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Note: I want 3 ohms stability, longetivity, durability, convenience, sound quality, value and premium service from a reputable company.
The Ep2500 was designed to be reliable. It uses high quality parts through out. And as for reliability, it uses military-spec glass epoxy boards. These boards have two independent, identical/redundant circuit traces, each connecting twice to each part/component. This is so that in the extreme case of high physical shock, one board develops a crack on a trace, there is an entire 2nd trace board for redundancy. The unit has a massive toroidal transformer and about 195,000 uf of capacitance per channel for the power supply, if memory serves correct. It uses no cheap parts inside. In addition, it measures excellent. This is a great amplifier with the exception of the loud fan that can be easily replaced with a specific Matsushita model that runs silent from the listening position.

-Chris

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Behringer EP2500, now that's the ticket.

Thanks Jeff, I did find that link after our discussion.

The Ep2500 was designed to be reliable. It uses high quality parts through out. And as for reliability, it uses military-spec glass epoxy boards. These boards have two independent, identical/redundant circuit traces, each connecting twice to each part/component. This is so that in the extreme case of high physical shock, one board develops a crack on a trace, there is an entire 2nd trace board for redundancy. The unit has a massive toroidal transformer and about 195,000 uf of capacitance per channel for the power supply, if memory serves correct. It uses no cheap parts inside. In addition, it measures excellent. This is a great amplifier with the exception of the loud fan that can be easily replaced with a specific Matsushita model that runs silent from the listening position.

-Chris
Hey Chris, the more I learn about the Behringer EP2500 (only $290!), the more I like what I'm reading. It seems that many (all) amplifier manufacturers overcharge you way too much for their amps.

It is quite impressive what only $290 can buy you right now, the EP2500 must be the deal of the century, or what?

And also, the reviews from the owners speak for itself, very high ratings indeed. I'm glad that I finally learn about this seemingly exceptional power amplifier.
Now, if I want POWER, I know what to buy for an amazing value.
I'll be working right now to start with one of these, and see how it would cost me to bring one to my home in Canada (Victoria, B.C.).
If any of you guys have any suggestion, I'm all ears.
And my hard to drive speakers are ready for the new ride. :)

Thanks to you guys.

Bob

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
And Seth, I'm surprised at your response concerning the XPA-2.
Should I just forget about Emotiva all together too, is it all their model amps that are having few problems?
It's just what I've heard from a few people.

How come so many people are raving about them?
No clue, I don't think they look all that spectacular myself.

EP2500, 2 ohm stable, built like a brick house, built like a brick house, it's got gain adjustments on the front and balanced connections, linear and handles reactive loads exceptionally well, they have a solid reputation and great value, I've not dealt with their customer service.

And I know that Bryston amps are more expensive, but is it also a piece of mind that I'm buying?
Consider how much the most comparable amplifier that Bryston sells, the 4B SST II. I gave Bryston the benefit of doubt considering that the power specifications of the Bryston are slightly lower than the Behringer (at this point -100 to -150 watts is less than 3 dB, and both amplifiers have plenty of headroom). The 4B SST II has a suggested retail around $4000, and probably gets that because it's dealer only. With a street price of around $300 I think that $3700 "piece of mind" becomes a rather insane thing to even consider. You could by 13 EP2500s for the price of one 4B SST II and have enough money left to purchase quiet fans for all of them as well. That's 1.5 amplifiers per year if you take into consideration a 20 year warranty. I bet the EP2500 lasts longer than that assuming you aren't throwing it around.

Feel free to divide your costs as you wish though, perhaps $1500 for cosmetics, $1200 for the warranty, $300 for function.:D Considering the build quality of the Behringers I'd probably just pay the $300 for function and if I actually have $3700 left over I could invest in speakers, acoustics, maybe another car.:D

EP2500 gutz n' stuff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis