Amplifier distortions - what, and how much are audible

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was able to find the SM and OM of the TA-N55ES and it seemed like an excellent amp for its time. You simply pushed it too hard trying to get the best of a big passive subwoofer!! Every time you pushed it pass the 500 W (8 ohms) mark it's only to clip, no doubt about that.. The amp is really only rated 300 W into an 8 ohm load bridged to mono.

The 600 W rating could only be reached (or exceed, for short durations) without clipping if the impedance of the subwoofer happened to be at 4 ohms at that moment. It would be great if you have the impedance/phase angle curve of that JBL B380.
Yeah, I liked the 55 ES amps. As I recall, I had 5 of them and two 80ES amps. Now I have just one 80ES, still powering my sub, and a 5 ch. 9000ES powering my mains, center, and surrounds. At any rate, I am managing the sub for a 5.1 system, as well as two 2.1 systems. For awhile it was a juggling act; but, I think I've finally got a handle on it. The 80ES will be put back into service powering my mains soon and I will be getting a Crown amp to power my sub , as I go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 configuration.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I liked the 55 ES amps. As I recall, I had 5 of them and two 80ES amps. Now I have just one 80ES, still powering my sub, and a 5 ch. 9000ES powering my mains, center, and surrounds. At any rate, I am managing the sub for a 5.1 system, as well as two 2.1 systems. For awhile it was a juggling act; but, I think I've finally got a handle on it. The 80ES will be put back into service powering my mains soon and I will be getting a Crown amp to power my sub , as I go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 configuration.
For subs, the Crown amps are great. Just thought the very fine Sony power amps can be used for the most demanding speakers if "sound quality" related specs on paper are important.:)

Take a look:

THD:
0.008% 10 W 4 ohms, 0.004% 8 ohms
0.01% from 20-20,000 Hz from 250 mW to rated output (150 W minimum), both channels driven into 4 ohms
0.05%, 110 W minimum from 250 W to rated output.

IMD:
0.008% at rated output, 4 ohms
0.004% at rated output, 8 ohms

Slew rate:
120 V/usec

These amps were clearly designed to perform a little better with 4 ohm loads. Fantastic slew rate spec whether that makes a difference or not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis