Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

majorloser

majorloser

Having gain control on a consumer amp isn't needed. The preamp is supposed to control the volume levels.

I thought it was strange for B&K to state in the O&M to keep the controls turned all the way up since they are in the rear of the amp where you couldn't easily change it. The only time I ever even use the gain controls is when I use the amp for speaker A/B testing where I set each pair to the same levels. In those cases I don't use a preamp but just a CD player with variable output.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Having gain control on a consumer amp isn't needed. The preamp is supposed to control the volume levels.

I thought it was strange for B&K to state in the O&M to keep the controls turned all the way up since they are in the rear of the amp where you couldn't easily change it. The only time I ever even use the gain controls is when I use the amp for speaker A/B testing where I set each pair to the same levels. In those cases I don't use a preamp but just a CD player with variable output.
Building a 2-channel rig, I may just use my Yamaha cd player with an amp in the beginning. Player has a gain, and a remote.;)

majorloser

majorloser

Having the gain controls on the multi-channel amp allows me set set equal level for each individual speaker and use an A/B switch to go between pairs. My Denon CD changer has a variable output, so it's easy to set for a comfortable listening level once the individual levels are matched. It also makes for easy controls between multiple discs with the remote.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Having the gain controls on the multi-channel amp allows me set set equal level for each individual speaker and use an A/B switch to go between pairs. My Denon CD changer has a variable output, so it's easy to set for a comfortable listening level once the individual levels are matched. It also makes for easy controls between multiple discs with the remote.
The test cd I linked above is a fun tool. It ensures the user is operating the amplifier within the specs, and be able to be 100% certain never to reach clipping. I know with the power of your piece, it is easy to operate within the specs though.;)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I just love them gain knobs. To me it's a must have, maybe not needed, but I like them.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't checked the thread to see if this is here, but very interesting.

i think this has been posted, but am not sure where in audioholics.

3 of my 4 A500's had this buzz (the 3 were purchased at the same time)

it drove me nuts once i discovered the buzz, sold all of my a500's since.

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Thanks Zumbo for posting that. I had decided that the A-500's were just not good which seemed to go against all that I read about them. I will admit it is a serious design flaw but having said that and knowing that they are perfectly fine with the gains set to max I can live with it.

I just put them all back into place and the unpleasentness that heard before is now all gone:) I temporally forgot what it is like to have raw power:D Me likey again.

Now Alex hurry up and get your money saved so you can buy my RX V2600 and I can get a new processor;)

Matt34

Matt34

I bought one and lost my left channel within a couple weeks.

Was not impressed.

My EP2500 worked flawlessly though.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I bought one and lost my left channel within a couple weeks.

Was not impressed.

My EP2500 worked flawlessly though.
That sucks. I have had mine now for a few years and no issues like that. I will replace them soon with the XP-5 though:)

majorloser

majorloser

That sucks. I have had mine now for a few years and no issues like that. I will replace them soon with the XP-5 though:)
Hey, you're the one who convinced me to buy seven A500's and replace my B&K amp :mad:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Watch some of the other videos. Shocking. I blame it on Chinese assembly, not German engineering.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Hey, you're the one who convinced me to buy seven A500's and replace my B&K amp :mad:
I did? are you sure it was not the other way around? Anyway after finishing up The Return of The King with my wife just now and listening to a few songs, I am not in that big of a hurry to get rid of them. Going to concentrate on the Pre/pro first. ALEX!

My EP-2500, all my A-500's and my DEQ 24/96 have no issues other than the A-500 gain problem. Now that I have that solved I am happy.

majorloser

majorloser

Are you mad you replaced your B&K?
Don't believe all the hype about B&K.

That amp was shipped back to the factory three times for repairs. Even under warranty it still cost me a pretty penny to ship a 90 lb. amp to New York every time it went. One time when it blew up it burned up the crossover and one of the woofers for my Canton center channel, so I had to pay to have that repaired by CantonUSA. Canton was awesome. Replaced the driver, crossover and internal wiring all with a two week turn around. I went without the B&K amp for months at a time. Going without a 7-channel amp means no theater.

I just don't trust that amp to run anything I care about (it's in the wife's system now).

Oh, and I also had to send my Ref 30 pre/pro back for repairs. Granted, I also got the firmware upgraded to Ref 31 when it was there for a "reasonable charge".

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Yep.

Has anyone LISTENED to this amp?

Yes. In fact I own an A500. Without getting into the audiophile "microdynamics verses macrodynamics and things", let me tell you that sonically it is a lot of amplifier for the price. It's not in the same category as the multi-thousand dollar amps, but you can build a very serious system with the Behringer A500 and a decent preamp. I should also mention that it can serve as a subwoofer amp very nicely. I used it to power the sub out on my av receiver and had no problems there either. I like mine.

S

SafeandSound

Enthusiast
I am finding this thread very interesting, it is a certainly a mamoth one. I always like it when people love and underdog product.

How is reliability of this power amplfier shaping up ?

cheers

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am finding this thread very interesting, it is a certainly a mamoth one. I always like it when people love and underdog product.

cheers
For me it has been fine for ~4 years now. I keep the gain adjustment at around 85% and quiet as a church mouse. I'm actually going to re-cap the cross overs in my PSB Century 500i's and give them and the A500 to my brother.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

cheers
I installed one in a bar a couple of years ago and, other than it shutting off once and getting too hot one other time (because Little Miss Noisy, the bartender can't stop going WOT with the volume controls), it hasn't done anything other than what it's supposed to. It turns on at 9AM and off at 2AM.

B

Bjorn

Enthusiast
Hi guys. Great thread. I need to bumb it to get some advice.

The Behringer A500 seems a bit unreliable and not the safest buy. So what is the better amp? Behringer EP2500, EP2000, EP4000, Yamaha P2500S or something else?

I'm looking for a amp that is basically transparent. And I believe low crossover distortion is vital. About 2 x 300W in 8 ohm would be sufficient.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis