L

ldelebyjr

Audiophyte
Love my vinyl. Most of my music comes from itunes these days, but the bands I really appreciate-if they have anything available on vinyl-I buy it! Love the sound and the album cover art work!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi 3db,

I subscribe to this thread so I'm usually aware of new posts. I think I may have to get this record for the sake of comparison. You see, there is a used record store very close to me. I recently bought Led Zeppelin IV and Alice Cooper's Greatest hits. The albums were clean and pretty much noise free but somehow the music on them didn't have the impact that I remember. Granted, I am no longer 13 years old playing spin the bottle in Mary-Lou Herman's basement smooching big nose Irene but I just expected more. Either way, no big deal as both of them cost a total of $7.50.

I'm guessing that records can get 'worn out' from being played on bad tables. Now it occurs to me that they have a turn table in there that you can listen to an album on before making that huge $4 investment.

I'm have to find out where to get the record from and how much. ;)
Might have to save up for it. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi 3db,

I'm guessing that records can get 'worn out' from being played on bad tables. Now it occurs to me that they have a turn table in there that you can listen to an album on before making that huge $4 investment.

I'm have to find out where to get the record from and how much. ;)
Might have to save up for it. :D
Its funny you meniton this becuase I first bough the CD versions of "Love It To Death" and "Killer" . One of these (I can't remember which one now) sounded horrible on CD. I was thinking it was a bad format transcribe job. So I bought the vinyl versions and it sounded equally bad. :eek: as bad as the CD.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Quoted from article:

"We drank quite a bit on the last night in Atlanta and we thought it would be a good idea to record without sleeping. So, I hopped on their bus and went back to Nashville," Mosshart recalls. "In that same span of 12 hours, we started to write four other songs. It just came real easy."

After hearing the recording brutality of Icky Thump all I can say is that I'm glad it was free but it still sucked. Some music I don't like but that's different from it being bad music. Now hearing that writing and recording are done after an all nighter? ... puh-leaze ... Am I alone in not seeing the awesomeness of this guy?

I did like 7 Nation Army but have not heard the entire album.
Sorry about the rant. :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Quoted from article:

"We drank quite a bit on the last night in Atlanta and we thought it would be a good idea to record without sleeping. So, I hopped on their bus and went back to Nashville," Mosshart recalls. "In that same span of 12 hours, we started to write four other songs. It just came real easy."

After hearing the recording brutality of Icky Thump all I can say is that I'm glad it was free but it still sucked. Some music I don't like but that's different from it being bad music. Now hearing that writing and recording are done after an all nighter? ... puh-leaze ... Am I alone in not seeing the awesomeness of this guy?

I did like 7 Nation Army but have not heard the entire album.
Sorry about the rant. :eek:
No worries man. :) Thats the beauty of music....not everyone agrees. Personally I think Bruce Springsteen and Van Halen are one of the most overated bands to come out with the exception of NickleBack. Man I hate their music and the lead singer's voice sucks big time. never heard flatter duller songs. I love Icky Thump but hated their album beofre that. . I also liked Jack White's collaboration in both "The Raconteurs" albums.

Anyway, keep spinnin my friend... I picked up a used "Best Of Wilson Pickett" album. Alex, that guy could sing and his music and the music taht he sang from other artists was just incredable.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I love Icky Thump ...
Based on that alone I thought that maybe it was just me so I gave it another go. Track 1 and 2 got skipped after they became annoying and by the time I got to the annoying part of track 3 my g/f came and closed the door on me before I could pull the plug. :D

It's okay though. I put some Van Morrison in to chill me back out. It is strange though how there is no accounting for taste. I think I'm going to make my way back to that used record store (Luke's) and get the first Dire Straits and maybe look into some classical guitar stuff. I'm doing my best to develop a little culture over here. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on that alone I thought that maybe it was just me so I gave it another go. Track 1 and 2 got skipped after they became annoying and by the time I got to the annoying part of track 3 my g/f came and closed the door on me before I could pull the plug. :D

It's okay though. I put some Van Morrison in to chill me back out. It is strange though how there is no accounting for taste. I think I'm going to make my way back to that used record store (Luke's) and get the first Dire Straits and maybe look into some classical guitar stuff. I'm doing my best to develop a little culture over here. :rolleyes:
*LMFAO*

As long as you enjoy the culture your listening too, thats great. But if its a burden, screw the culture and move onto something you like. :)

I had Dire Striaghts 1st vinly in my hand yesterday at that used vinyl shop but I put it down because a.) I have it on CD, b.) it comes into that shop regularily, c.) teh Wilson Pickett album is much rarer and harder to find.

Good luck and enjoy. Dire Straits 1st album is a killer. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a little side job doing some drywall for the owner of Luke's Record Exchange. He has some apartments above the store and one of the bedrooms need me. I needed some records ... the rest will be history soon enough. I agreed to do my thing for ~ $350 worth of records.

Today I met Luke at Home Depot at 9:00 AM. Around 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon I had one more full piece of drywall to carry up the winding stairway from the back of my truck in the parking lot but my @ss was dragging because I'm fat, old and out of shape so I went and got a coffee. I needed a break. I ended up spending about 45 minutes routing through albums until I had a bunch of stuff picked out. Most note worthy and most expensive was a 4 LP set of Billie Holiday's Ain't Nobody's Business if I do for $15. Classical records go for a buck per actual record so a recording of Carmen was $3 as it has 3 records. I got some (a bunch) of Hayden and Mozart. The Bob Seger and Steely Dan records were $2.50 - $5.00. Fine, I got some Donna Summer too. :eek:

My girl likes it. :rolleyes:

Forty five minutes later I'm tearing myself away from it all to get it tabulated to $125 worth of records that I'm dragging home. I am quickly realizing that I don't care much for Steely Dan ... oh well. Their hits are okay ... barely. Any way I carried that last full sheet up and a few more cut pieces needed to go up so that I wouldn't have any of that waiting for me tomorrow. I've been listening to records for the last 4 or 5 hours now. I haven't even scratched the surface. I just put Neil Young's Decade on. I have always enjoyed Niel Young.

3db mentioned that I should check out Tracy Capman's self titled album for the recording quality alone. For the life of me I couldn't remember her name while I was rummaging around in those thousands of records. It's not so much about what I took home, you should see the stuff I left behind. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex, you have me wanting to find my albums. I think that I might still have the Christmas album from my childhood that has "(I'm Gettin') Nuttin' For Christmas" on it. I can't remember who sang it on that album (there are a number of versions). I think that was one of the albums that I rescued from the garbage after my mom threw it away. I know that the Star Wars two-album soundtrack was.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Adam,

I have this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StoryStarWarsLP.jpg

I still haven't listened to it. The cover looks brand new. I don't see this ever making it to my turn table but you never know.

It just occurred to me that it's a good thing I grabbed all that Steely Dan. It's better than actually paying for it like this:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13320

Buying up recordings the old fashioned way (with cash) would get expensive quick, especially if I was going the DVD-A route. I was going to ask you if you still had a TT but it just occurred to me who I was talking to. You probably have the same TT that you played your Alvin and the Chipmunks records on that pre dates the 27" CRT. :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StoryStarWarsLP.jpg

I still haven't listened to it. The cover looks brand new. I don't see this ever making it to my turn table but you never know.
Very cool.

I was going to ask you if you still had a TT but it just occurred to me who I was talking to. You probably have the same TT that you played your Alvin and the Chipmunks records on that pre dates the 27" CRT. :p
:D Strangely enough, I came across the Chipmunks Christmas song on YouTube last night when I was looking for the other Christmas song.

Yes, I have a turntable. It's a Realistic Lab-440 direct drive turntable that my older brother gave me several years ago. BTW, I listened to the Chipmunks on 8-track. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Very cool.

:D Strangely enough, I came across the Chipmunks Christmas song on YouTube last night when I was looking for the other Christmas song.

Yes, I have a turntable. It's a Realistic Lab-440 direct drive turntable that my older brother gave me several years ago. BTW, I listened to the Chipmunks on 8-track. :)
Geez Adam, Its time to spin it up and start listening to albums again. Thats a decent table yuou have there (if I'm not getting my model numbers mixed up) .

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Geez Adam, Its time to spin it up and start listening to albums again. Thats a decent table yuou have there (if I'm not getting my model numbers mixed up) .
He'll be all over it as soon as he dusts off the 8 track player. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I either am or want to be numbers 1, 4 and 10. I think they may need to create an 11th category of opportunistic collector and maybe a 12th of reluctant or repentant collector because of the space it takes up. Consider that I had to take a pair of speakers away to store them for lack of space after I got them fixed up. Now that stung ... but the vinyl stays. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis