Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review

P

preppie16

Audiophyte
To change the topic a little bit:
Does anybody have the iPod dock from Onkyo? Is the on-screen menu nice? I'm kind of thinking about investing 75$ in it...
Ya, I thought about that too... But then I went on Ebay and purchased a $16 iPod dock that has on-screen display, IR remote etc. and saved myself money to spend on those expensive HDMI Monster cables!!! LOL Don't waste your money.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
Hey Guys I have updated my system and now its better than ever so dont ask me about the 805 anymore cause now I have the 875 and it kicks ass:))

D

DJB

Enthusiast
What a great review and thanks for going over the video processing features that had me so confused. I was under the impression that the 805 had some scaling features built into it, not just an average SD deinterlacer.

I am actually looking at the 875 for it's SD and HD video processing capabilities. My cable box allows native output of content and it would be great to let the receiver do all the work on the difficult 1080i deinterlacing.
Can anyone comment on the upscaling/conversion capabilities of the Samsung FP-T5084? I just got one for Christmas & now I want to upgrade my receiver and speakers. I've been figuring on the 805 as I too didn't know that it doesn't do upscaling.

Thanks,

David

P

preppie16

Audiophyte
Hello my fellow TX-SR805 owners!!!

I am currently experiencing a problem that I think is due to the video switching within the receiver. When I hook my OPPO DVD player to the receiver via HDMI the picture on the screen cycles on and off repeatedly. 1-2secs between each cycle. I have hooked the dvd player up to the monitor directly bypassing the ONKYO and the problem is resolved.
ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS FRUSTRATING PROBLEM AND HOW DO I SOLVE IT???
I'm thinking I may need to take advantage of the warranty for this specific problem!! :(

C

ctamateur

Audiophyte
I have powered tower front speakers (Aperion), and no subwoofer. How would I set the crossovers, and does the automatic setup detect it or do I have to set them manually?

J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
Does the 805 downconvert 1080i over HDMI?

I read a review on C-Net that claimed the following about the TX-SR805:

The bad: Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI

I don't find mention of that in this review. Does anybody know if that's the case or if C-Net was just smokin' crack? I'm interested in the receiver but not if it takes the 1080i output from my DirecTV HD receiver and down-rezzes it to 720p before outputting it to my 1080p reciever.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Does anybody know if that's the case...
Jerry, I'm downloading the owners manual now to check. Would you be connecting the DirecTV receiver to the 805 using component cables or HDMI?

EDIT: Sorry, but I didn't find any mention of that in the owners manual.

Last edited:
J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
Jerry, I'm downloading the owners manual now to check. Would you be connecting the DirecTV receiver to the 805 using component cables or HDMI?

EDIT: Sorry, but I didn't find any mention of that in the owners manual.
Thanks for looking! I was going to try to download the manual myself but didn't see a link for it on the Onkyo page.

For now, I'm passing video over HDMI directly into my TV with audio over digital optical into the A/V reciver as my current Yamaha A/V receiver doesn't do HDMI or the new Blu-Ray audio codecs (which is why I'm thinking of upgrading).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No problem! I asked about which connection you'd be using because that issue may not exist if you are running HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to the 805. The C-Net wording seemed specific to the issue occurring with component video.

For the manual on the 805, you can download it from Onkyo's support page (their support menu has a drop-down list that includes owners manuals). The direct link to the 805 manual is here. Be careful, though - that's the combined manual for the 805 and 875, and the 875 has more video processing. In particular, there is a table showing selectable output resolutions for HDMI, but that is for the 875 and not for the 805.

J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
No problem! I asked about which connection you'd be using because that issue may not exist if you are running HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to the 805. The C-Net wording seemed specific to the issue occurring with component video.

For the manual on the 805, you can download it from Onkyo's support page (their support menu has a drop-down list that includes owners manuals). The direct link to the 805 manual is here. Be careful, though - that's the combined manual for the 805 and 875, and the 875 has more video processing. In particular, there is a table showing selectable output resolutions for HDMI, but that is for the 875 and not for the 805.
Thanks again for the link and for the information. I didn't see the C-Net wording as being specific to component video but it looks from further reading of other posts on this receiver that HDMI inputs can be set as "pass-through", which should avoid any down-rezzing. Now to figure out where to find a spare kilobuck to buy this bad boy!

As an aside, is this model being replaced by the 806? The Onkyo web pages are showing both models and, other than more HDMI inputs, the 806 seems to have some actual shortcomings compared to the 805. Maybe I need to DL both manuals for more detailed information though.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Thanks again for the link and for the information. I didn't see the C-Net wording as being specific to component video but it looks from further reading of other posts on this receiver that HDMI inputs can be set as "pass-through", which should avoid any down-rezzing. Now to figure out where to find a spare kilobuck to buy this bad boy!

As an aside, is this model being replaced by the 806? The Onkyo web pages are showing both models and, other than more HDMI inputs, the 806 seems to have some actual shortcomings compared to the 805. Maybe I need to DL both manuals for more detailed information though.
A couple points.
1. A new 805 can be had for around 65% of the $1k you mentioned. I know, I got one two weeks ago complete with all current firmware.

2.The HDMI inputs automatically pass through to your TV untouched.

3. I will almost bet that the 806 will replace the 805 shortly, at least on Onkyo's web site. They will probably leave it there until most of the unsold 805's are gone. Probably will not take long since the 805 is a real steal compared to nearly anything at its current street price (even at its MSRP as mentioned in its review on this web site).

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Simple question, anyone

When using the multichannel analog inputs of the 805, do you have access to the channel levels with ability to change them on the fly?

As an example, like using a universal player for Sacd and Dvd-Audio from it's 5.1 multichannel analog outputs.

I know that there is no bass management when using the multichannel analog inputs of the Onkyo TX-SR805, but can you adjust at least the different channel levels?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Yes you can adjust them on the fly.

Although I would just recommend getting a player that can send LPCM & DSD over HDMI and forget about using the analog cables. Unless you've already got a top-notch player with better DACs than the 805.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yes you can adjust them on the fly.

Although I would just recommend getting a player that can send LPCM & DSD over HDMI and forget about using the analog cables. Unless you've already got a top-notch player with better DACs than the 805.
Thanks Jeremy. I'm using the Denon DVD-1920 for multichannel Sacd and Dvd-Audio (the HDMI output is only version 1.1, can't do multichannel SACD from it, have to use the 5.1 analog output). By the way, the 1920 has the Burr-Brown PCM-1738 for stereo playback, excellent DAC, and the Burr-Brown DSD-1608 for multichannel playback, not too bad. Got to make the best of what you got without waisting any more money!

Do you know or anybody else if you have separate channel level settings for different listening modes from the 805, like you do on Denon receivers?

Last edited:
S

sptrout

Audioholic
Do you know or anybody else if you have separate channel level settings for different listening modes from the 805, like you do on Denon receivers?
If you mean fixed, I don't think so (at least I have never seen it mentioned). However, I had a Denon 3300 and I didn't not know that it had this capability until I had it for about seven years (love those Denon Manuals!).

You can easily adjust the individual speaker levels "on the fly" but they go back to the master level settings when you turn-off (switch to standby) the 805.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
If you mean fixed, I don't think so (at least I have never seen it mentioned). However, I had a Denon 3300 and I didn't not know that it had this capability until I had it for about seven years (love those Denon Manuals!).

You can easily adjust the individual speaker levels "on the fly" but they go back to the master level settings when you turn-off (switch to standby) the 805.
Thanks sptrout.
You're right, only one default setup (channel levels) for all inputs and all listening modes on the Onkyo/Integra receivers. But with Denon receivers, you have different adjustments of individual channel levels for "each" listening modes.
Seven years! before you realise this capability!
Ain't that sweet from Denon to offer this feature, which by the way is called "Personal Memory Plus".

Have a nice day, Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Something big is missing!

To Audioholics staff,

Hi, Audioholics is probably my favorite site for bench test results.

But in the Onkyo TX-SR805, it is completely missing!

What is the true reason for that? I just don't want to speculate.

Yamahas, Denons, Marantzs, Pioneers and other receivers have always bench tests done in a very elaborate way. So, why is it missing in this case, where it would have been very useful and valuable?

Is it possible that you can borrow a TX-SR805 from someone, and do these tests? I bet there will be a lot of members really interested in all the numbers.

My sincere wish,

Bob

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Bob, what exact numbers do you need. I onw an 805 and have read so much info on it, it will make your head swim. I do know that they rate the 805 at 130 wpc, but with seven channels it runs at about 100 wpc, at five channels, it hits at 127 watts per channel, and with two channels it hit around 180 watts per channel and one channel hits just under 200 watts. This is at 8ohms with clipping at 1.0% for maximum. These numbers are from memory so they may vary but slightly. I do know the component limit in processing is at 100mHz which is more than you will ever need.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Bob, what exact numbers do you need. I onw an 805 and have read so much info on it, it will make your head swim. I do know that they rate the 805 at 130 wpc, but with seven channels it runs at about 100 wpc, at five channels, it hits at 127 watts per channel, and with two channels it hit around 180 watts per channel and one channel hits just under 200 watts. This is at 8ohms with clipping at 1.0% for maximum. These numbers are from memory so they may vary but slightly. I do know the component limit in processing is at 100mHz which is more than you will ever need.
Hi Matthew,

That's very nice of you (still wish that Audioholics would have their own tests, they are my very favorites; and why they did not do it for the 805 is really out of their practices and kind of mysterious).

Hey Matthew, I also read few reviews about the 805.
But maybe you know some that I don't know. Like the numbers that you just mentioned, I never seen them anywhere. Where are they coming from?
Can you post the link?

Any review of the 805 that have bench tests, could you please tell me where, and if possible, just post the links right here.
Will greatly appreciate.

Regards,

Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis