Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Hi,
Still waiting to hear if the 805 will pass 1080p/24fps video.... Anyone know if it goes through untouched??? This is most important to me. Thanks
There is no reason if your source components can produce 1080p/24 that the 805 should not be able to pass it through.

Its a matter of bit rate/band width and as passing 1080p/60 requires a higher bit rate then any lower rate should pass through.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice write-up. I really like this receiver. Did it run unusually hot during testing? The folks over at AVS forum were complaining about it running hot. It seems to be well made to handle heat with the two front cooling fans. My guess is this would facilitate cooling the unit well while in a rack configuration. I've been thinking of upgrading my sub, but this receiver is the real deal. Decisions, decisions. I could get the 805 and a nice HD-DVD player for the price of the PB13-Ultra....

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
I think the physical size of it is to big (height) for my furniture.... Crap.

I'll make a model of the receiver anyhow today... bring it home and putz with it.... maybe...

P

preppie16

Audiophyte
Helping the heat distribution

Hi there,
I have a TX-SR805 and it does run a little hot. However, I do recomend that you purchase a cooling fan off user: drmckenzie on Ebay you can purchase one 120mm fan or dual 80mm fans that sit on top of the receiver and assist in cooling - WORKS GREAT!!!
I love the Onkyo TX-SR805!!!

K

Kbouchez

Audiophyte
Looking for a new mid-priced receiver.

Hi,

I've been following a few discussions in the last few days and there's a wealth of knowledge out there. I'm interested in getting a new receiver along with an lcd tv in the next few weeks. The main features I need for the receiver are: multi-zone capabilities, to power two speakers outside independently from what I'm doing on the inside, and HDMI. In my research I've narrowed it down to two receivers; Denon 2808 or the Onkyo TX-sr805. They seem like two pretty good units, but all being the same, I'd rather spend less than amore (Onkyo being less $$). I would also be open to any other info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

I've been following a few discussions in the last few days and there's a wealth of knowledge out there. I'm interested in getting a new receiver along with an lcd tv in the next few weeks. The main features I need for the receiver are: multi-zone capabilities, to power two speakers outside independently from what I'm doing on the inside, and HDMI. In my research I've narrowed it down to two receivers; Denon 2808 or the Onkyo TX-sr805. They seem like two pretty good units, but all being the same, I'd rather spend less than amore (Onkyo being less $$). I would also be open to any other info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I where in that position and the Onkyo was $100 more than the Denon, I would still get the Onkyo.:D

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKTXSR805

That refurb comes with a one year warranty, and for $40 more you can get a service plan. For under $800 it just doesn't get any better.

K

Kbouchez

Audiophyte
If I where in that position and the Onkyo was $100 more than the Denon, I would still get the Onkyo.:D

That refurb comes with a one year warranty, and for $40 more you can get a service plan. For under $800 it just doesn't get any better.
That's good to know. I read somewhere that Onkyo might have inferior components. I guess that's not the case. I've even looked into the Integra line of Onkyo, but I don't really want to spend $1,000. Thanks for the input.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That's good to know. I read somewhere that Onkyo might have inferior components. I guess that's not the case. I've even looked into the Integra line of Onkyo, but I don't really want to spend $1,000. Thanks for the input.
I would say that Denon and Onkyo are similar in build quality and part selection quality.:)

K

Kbouchez

Audiophyte
I would say that Denon and Onkyo are similar in build quality and part selection quality.:)
I'm also getting a 1080p lcd tv. Should I be concerned with "1080p scaling" in the receiver?

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
I just have one question; What is it with this Onkyo 720p Up and Down conversion sh#t! Is it just me or does somebody else consider it a, not so smart, move by them to put a 720p upconversion limit on a nice receiver that competes in the same market with their compitition who's amps do everything that their's do and does upconvert to 1080p? I just don't understand. My first choice was Onkyo; until I heard about that.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Since a lot of disc players and TVs do scaling, it's not strictly necessary to have the receiver do it. I have my DVD player set to just de-interlace to 480p and let my TV handle the scaling. Since my TV is really 768p, it makes sense for me to avoid scaling twice although I can't really see a difference between setting the DVD to 720p or 480p.

When I get a 1080p TV and sources that can do 1080p, I'll probably just want pass through anyway. To me, it's not a bad thing.

Jim

K

Kbouchez

Audiophyte
It seems that the more I look into the two receivers, Onkyo 805 and Denon 2808, the more confused I get. I'll be getting a 52" lcd and mostly watching tv/movies with it although a good amount of music. Is is better to go with THX cert. with Reon and the newest DACs fron Onkyo, or video the up-conversion from Denon. Is the sound quality that much different; supposedly "tinny" fron Onkyo and "warm" from Denon? Or do I go into a store that has both and listen to both with my eyes closed, even though I won't have the same speakers at my house? Not sure where to go from here. I'll also have this in a room that's approx. 600 s.f. Thanks for any input.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
THe 805 is a much beefier receiver than the 2808. Also, the 805 doesn't come with the Reon chip (only the 875 and 905 do).

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
It seems that the more I look into the two receivers, Onkyo 805 and Denon 2808, the more confused I get. I'll be getting a 52" lcd and mostly watching tv/movies with it although a good amount of music. Is is better to go with THX cert. with Reon and the newest DACs fron Onkyo, or video the up-conversion from Denon. Is the sound quality that much different; supposedly "tinny" fron Onkyo and "warm" from Denon? Or do I go into a store that has both and listen to both with my eyes closed, even though I won't have the same speakers at my house? Not sure where to go from here. I'll also have this in a room that's approx. 600 s.f. Thanks for any input.
I like the Denon, I went with it instead of the Onkyo. What is undesirable about the Onkyo to me is that it downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI. There's no noticable audio difference between 110 watts (Denon) and 130 watts (Onkyo). You also mention your indecision about going with the Onkyo over the Denon had something to do with the Onkyo's THX capability. According to these specs; the "Denon AVR-2808" has that same THX capability: Follow this link and click on the "Products Details" tab -
http://www.shopdigitalcorp.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1574&ref=pricegrabber

After that you might want to check the the "Bottom Line" statement on a Cnet review concering the "Onkyo 805:"
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr805-silver/4505-6466_7-32430614.html

Before reading any of this, I went with the Denon 2808, it was a hands down easy choice for me. :p

J

johsti

Audioholic
Is the sound quality that much different; supposedly "tinny" fron Onkyo and "warm" from Denon? Or do I go into a store that has both and listen to both with my eyes closed, even though I won't have the same speakers at my house?
I think you have been misinformed and you really need to listen to both receivers. Between the 2808 and the 805, the 805 is not the tinny sounding receiver. The amp sections aren't even comparable. You would have to step up to the 3808 and possibly the 4308 and the 805 still has the beefier amp.

I almost ruled out Onkyo after reading these forums, but I'm glad i didn't. With the recent sales on the 805, there is nothing else comparable for the price. You really need to go audition them apples to apples (same speakers, same room, eq flat and same sound mode) and find out for yourself.

J

johsti

Audioholic
I just have one question; What is it with this Onkyo 720p Up and Down conversion sh#t! Is it just me or does somebody else consider it a, not so smart, move by them to put a 720p upconversion limit on a nice receiver that competes in the same market with their compitition who's amps do everything that their's do and does upconvert to 1080p? I just don't understand. My first choice was Onkyo; until I heard about that.
Really not a big deal. Use HDMI sources, or plug component straight into the TV and use the macros on the remote to simplify the whole operation. jliedeka is right, let your tv or dvd player do the scaling.

Pipelayer

Pipelayer

Junior Audioholic
I think you have been misinformed and you really need to listen to both receivers. Between the 2808 and the 805, the 805 is not the tinny sounding receiver. The amp sections aren't even comparable. You would have to step up to the 3808 and possibly the 4308 and the 805 still has the beefier amp.

I almost ruled out Onkyo after reading these forums, but I'm glad i didn't. With the recent sales on the 805, there is nothing else comparable for the price. You really need to go audition them apples to apples (same speakers, same room, eq flat and same sound mode) and find out for yourself.
The Denon 2808 is a fairly new receiver. Have you actually listened to it or are your comparing it to older Denon receivers? If you are you're making a mistake, it's a very beefy receiver, with all the new gadgets. I 100% concur Kbouchez, take a listen for yourself. I did.... and I chose the Denon.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Onkyo TX-SR805 represents the current pinnacle of value at its price point. It sounds good, decodes all the latest HD audio codecs, sports a large power supply, has an impressive feature set, THX Ultra2 certification, and Audyssey MultEQ at a price well below what the competition offers. This high level of value is not just limited to this particular model; Onkyo has spread value and features across their entire product line. Onkyo has resurged into the market as a serious player once again and clearly upped the ante with the TX-SR805. Highly recommended.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review " here. Read the article.

So what would you call a fair price in the US for this? I want to get a ball park reference before shocking my american friends with the Canadian sticker price which is absolutely freakin ridiculous :mad:

K

Kbouchez

Audiophyte
The Denon 2808 is a fairly new receiver. Have you actually listened to it or are your comparing it to older Denon receivers? If you are you're making a mistake, it's a very beefy receiver, with all the new gadgets. I 100% concur Kbouchez, take a listen for yourself. I did.... and I chose the Denon.
Thanks all for the input. I need to take a "test drive" of the two receivers and see which one sounds best to me. I think I'd be happy with either one, especially going from what I currently have. Now I need to find a thread on lcd tv's. I'm leaning towards the Sharp 52D92U, a lot of bang for the buck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis