Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Home Theater Magazine gives different bench results:

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/208bwonk/index5.html

120.4W@0.1% all channels driven.

I've been trying to compare it to the Pioneer SC-05/07 to determine which receiver is better. Lots of people claim the Pioneers are better (despite the fact that they apparently bench worse).

Check out HTM's review of the SC-07:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/pioneer_elite_sc-07_av_receiver/index4.html

I wonder why lots of people prefer the Pioneer...

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Home Theater Magazine gives different bench results:

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/208bwonk/index5.html

120.4W@0.1% all channels driven.

I've been trying to compare it to the Pioneer SC-05/07 to determine which receiver is better. Lots of people claim the Pioneers are better (despite the fact that they apparently bench worse).

Check out HTM's review of the SC-07:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/pioneer_elite_sc-07_av_receiver/index4.html

I wonder why lots of people prefer the Pioneer...
Thanks for the links amigo.

What do you think is the best receiver, the SR805 vs the SC-05?
And don't forget, you cannot compare with the SC-07, which retails for $2,500 (street is $900).

The Onkyo TX-SR805 retails for $999: Weight is 51lbs, street is $449 to $499.
And the Pioneer SC-05 retails for $2,000: Weight is 40lbs, street is $700.

So, have an open mind about the value (price and features). And then consider their true performance, with their total power, sound quality, ergonomics, build and tests from the bench.

Class A/B amp vs Class D (ICE) amp.

I like to know the opinions from anyone.

I cannot wait to read various opinions between these great receivers:
TX-SR805 vs SC-05.
And TX-SR876 vs SC-07.

Bob

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Let me one up you, Lordoftherings:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oh00lj

It's a PDF excerpt of the Sensible Sound magazine containing the review you just linked. This one has the diagrams/figures so you can reference them properly.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Let me one up you, Lordoftherings:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oh00lj

It's a PDF excerpt of the Sensible Sound magazine containing the review you just linked. This one has the diagrams/figures so you can reference them properly.
I really appreciate more links about the 805, but in this case it totally screw up my computer! :eek:

Are you sure your link is complete?

I did downloaded the PDF file, but it froze my computer! :mad:

Care to explain how so? Is there a trick that I should be aware of?

Anyway, I ain't going back there unless there is some explanation at what happened.

Did you knew about the Sensible sound article on the 705 & 805?
Pretty cool, isn't?

Now, I'm waiting till Gene does a review of the Onkyo TX-SR876.
I consider that future review of the 876 of prime importance, so we can compare lab tests with the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and the Yamaha RX-Z7.
Also a review of the Denon AVR-4308ci (or 3808ci) will be nice too.

And others that I like to see are: Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD, Marantz SR8002, NAD T 775, Arcam AVR350 and Yamaha RX-V3900.

If I have to choose only 3, I'll pick the Onkyo TX-SR876 as the first, the Denon AVR-4308ci (or the AVR-3808ci) as the second and the Marantz SR8002 for third, as my order for future reviews.
So Gene or Clint or anyone else from the Audioholics staff, you got my suggestion about what I consider very valuable future reviews of important receivers among a big crowd of audiophiles. This is in my range of receivers, and I know that I'm not the only one.

Best regards to all,

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Biggiesized,

I got it now, I just register to their free program, and I was finally able to download the file from the article in The Sensible Sound.

I read that article over a year ago in that magazine.
Did you knew that this issue was their last issue?

I was a subscriber for The Sensible Sound for several years.

I also was a subscriber to about another 20 or more major Audio magazines all across the globe (USA, Canada, UK, France, Netherlands and Germany).

My favorite sources of information (and less so): Audioholics, AVS Forum, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, Widescreen Review, Playback Magazine (The Perfect Vision), The Absolute Sound, Hi-Fi+, Stereophile, The Sensible Sound (gone), Audio (gone), Ultimate AV mag, Home Theater mag, Sound & Vision Magazine, Audio Ideas Guide (gone), UHF Ultra High Fidelity, The Inner Ear report, Son Hi-Fi Video, Prestige Audio Video, Gramophone, Audio/Video Interiors, Home Theater Interiors, Hi-Fi World, Hi-Fi Choice, What Hi*Fi?, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, Home Entertainment, What Video & TV, What Home Cinema, Home Cinema Choice, DVD Review, Total DVD, High-Def Digest, AV Forums from UK, Home Theater Shack, BigPictureBigSound, The Digital Bits, DVD Verdict, Blu-Ray.com, PC World, Digital Home, Home Theater & Sound, Audio Asylum, Home Theater Systems, Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Forum, SACD.net, and a bunch of other places on the planet.

I've been into Audio since the mid 60's. Everything that I read in my life is all about Audio. I first built my own rear surround (back) speaker setup in 1969!
Yep, you read that right, I was into surround EX way back then. Music is my life, I am a musician for over 40 years (non professional).
I love everything about electronics, analog, digital, sound reproduction, etc.

And Audioholics is at the top of my favorite sites with few others. I love the staff and the members too. And of course the administrator, Gene.

Regards & Cheers,

Bob

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
LOTR, thanks for the insightful link. I was reading some of your posts on the 805 over at AVS (I can't post there because I was banned for warning them about a member who was banned here and at Sound and Vision, so by warning them about that member they thanked me by banning me.) Some thanks huh? Anyway just wanted to say your posts over there are also very good.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
LOTR, thanks for the insightful link. I was reading some of your posts on the 805 over at AVS (I can't post there because I was banned for warning them about a member who was banned here and at Sound and Vision, so by warning them about that member they thanked me by banning me.) Some thanks huh? Anyway just wanted to say your posts over there are also very good.
Thanks Matthew, I really appreciate that.

I own several receivers from different manufacturers, and I love them all.

My last two ones are the Onkyo 805 and 876. Before, I used the Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2092. And a few more that I was demoing at home.

I did recommend these two receivers (Onkyo 805 & 876) to a lot of people, with many thanks in return. But I had my share of discontent with one member somewhere which found me too much Onkyo pro.

In life as in Audio, the right balance is often unjustified and the real truth resides in your heart, away from the reach of detractors.

But the numbers of friends I made all around is reaffirming the truth that is in my heart.

I do understand what you are saying, and the first ones to appear at the gates of heaven will be the bandits, the prostitutes, the bank robbers, the less favored, the more vulnerable, the truth seekers and the life's rejected...

In the end, there is only one God that can make a fair judgement.

Cheers,

Bob

E

EugenT

Enthusiast
Just bought a TX-SR805 yesterday.

I was all set to buy a brand new Pioneer VSX-03TXH from the States, but luckily someone local posted this receiver (in like new condition!).

- The receiver is super-heavy, which I guess is a good thing (better power supply, better heatsinking, better build quality).

- Hooking it up was a breeze. I only used 1 set of component/optical - for the XBox360. Everything else was on HDMI (HD-DVD/BluRay/HD OTA tuner).

- Did the first run with the movie Slumdog Millionaire in DTS-HD MA. The sound is fantastic! (but the receiver does run hot, as promised - even in a completely open shelf). Only did basic manual setup.

What I don't like so far is purely cosmetic. The front panel / display, the color of the display (although when dimmed, it's nice). The remote is very outdated (like a 2001 Toshiba TV remote), but functional - the layout is good and the backlight works well.

- Next step is the Audyssey setup...
- Also need to figure out why the on-screen display shows "Multich" rather than saying "DTS-HD MA". I am bitstreaming from Samsung BD-P1200.

My little HT system:
- Infinity IL10 and IL36c speakers, NHT SubTwo subwoofer
- Toshiba HD-XA2
- Samsung BD-P1200
- Samsung DTB-H260F OTA tuner
- XBox360 (computer streamer)
- Sony KE-42TS2U plasma

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
805 tips

Hi Eugen,

and welcome to the 805 owners club & also to Audioholics Home Theater Forums.

And yes, at 51 pounds, it is indeed heavy, but it is an excellent sign of it's true power, which is very very good.

It does run hot, no doubt about it, that's why it needs the rear in the open as well the front, and also at least 4 inches of space on top.

Also, for peace of mind, a small fan, installed in the top rear right corner (when facing the front of the receiver) is efficient at lowering the degree of heat. You just connect it to the A/C inlet in the back of your 805.

For a fan suggestion, look here: http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html
Or this one: http://www.buyextras.com/cacofankit1o.html
Or this: http://www.buyextras.com/bxtdu80syfaw.html

As for the look of the 805, I agree, it is not the best looking, but then, you don't buy it for mostly the looks, but for the sound quality.
What you can do though and that is what I personally do, is to get a black piece of fabric acoustically transparent and still accomodating the air to pass through. Then you just install it in the front of your rack, using velcro dots.
Very nice looking and less distracting about the lights. In fact I use this method with all my components, which I only operate with my Harmony remote control anyway, so no need to access the front panel buttons.
For the piece of fabric, just go to a fabric store and look at the different materials they have, pick a dark color and one that you can still see through and when you blow through it, it still allows the air to pass through.

For Audyssey setup, do use the maximum 8 microphone positions.

For the Guide on Audyssey Setup, look here:
-> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

For some additional info: http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

And as for your display showing Multichannel instead of DTS-HD MA, you have to select the HDMI OUT button (from your manual on page 47), to YES.
This is the front panel button marked "HDMI OUT".

On page 52 and 53 of your manual, the section called "Digital Input Setup" should be read and properly followed.

Also, disable the "Control", "Power Control", and "TV Control" on your 805 Advanced Setup Menu (from page 99 & 100 on your manual). This will save some energy that is wasted from your 805.

Also, disable the "Immediate Display" also in your Advanced Setup Menu (from page 97 in your manual). This will give you a better picture.

Also, select 120hz for the "Low-Pass Filter" (for the Lfe Channel only), from page 88 on your manual. It is only for the LFE channel, and does not affect in any way the regular x-overs selection from your receiver for all your speakers.

Don't ever use the "Double Bass" feature. It only screws everything up (also on page 88).

If you need more help with your setup, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Hope this helps,

Bob

Last edited:
E

EugenT

Enthusiast
Hi Bob!

Thanks for the advice. Audyssey made a quite a few changes in the setup, and I really like most of the changes.

On the other hand, it did enable 'double bass' and set my fronts and center to 'full range'. Although these speakers can do full range work, wouldn't it make more sense to cut them off at ~80Hz?

I'll check 'HDMI out' option tonight. (and I did read the whole manual, believe it or not).

The one bad thing that I found out so far is that my Samsung BD-P1200 bluray player would not BITSTREAM properly the high-definition formats (confirmed in some reviews of the player), so I might be looking for a newer bdp to get proper DTS-HD MA sound.

E

EugenT

Enthusiast
Also, for peace of mind, a small fan, installed in the top rear right corner (when facing the front of the receiver) is efficient at lowering the degree of heat. You just connect it to the A/C inlet in the back of your 805.

Bob, in which direction would the fan blow? Would it be an intake or an exhaust fan? Thanks.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Check this out & Follow the instructions.

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the advice. Audyssey made a quite a few changes in the setup, and I really like most of the changes.

On the other hand, it did enable 'double bass' and set my fronts and center to 'full range'. Although these speakers can do full range work, wouldn't it make more sense to cut them off at ~80Hz?

I'll check 'HDMI out' option tonight. (and I did read the whole manual, believe it or not).

The one bad thing that I found out so far is that my Samsung BD-P1200 bluray player would not BITSTREAM properly the high-definition formats (confirmed in some reviews of the player), so I might be looking for a newer bdp to get proper DTS-HD MA sound.
Hi Eugen,

1. Let Audyssey do it's stuff.

2. DON'T USE DOUBLE BASS. Audyssey will not enable Double Bass, it was originally set like this. Disable it and rerun Audyssey again. And set the Phase from your subwoofer at 0 degree. And also from the back of your sub, disable (Bypass) or set the "Low Pass Filter" to it's Maximum position.

3. DON'T SET YOUR SPEAKERS FULL RANGE. Set the x-over at 80hz or so.
* Where did Audyssey set all your x-overs at (Front Mains, Center, Side Surrounds and Rear Surrounds)?

4. BRAVO! You read the entire manual.

5. Get a newer Blu-Ray player. I highly recommend the Panasonic DMP-BD35 or the newer one the DMP-BD60. Or the Samsung BD-P2500/2550. They are all very affordable and are the very best ones. The UniPhier P4HD and the HQV Reon VX-50 (Sammy BD-P2500/2550) are some of the very best video processors on the market (after the Gennum VXP, the HQV Realta and the VRS ABT-2010).

6. And not least, read and follow the instructions from the Audyssey Guide Setup.
<< VERY IMPORTANT >>.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
E

EugenT

Enthusiast
Bob, unfortunately I cannot afford the new Panasonic bluray players. I am going after Sony 550 model.

For the upconversion of standard DVDs I will be using Toshiba HD-XA2, which has the Reon chip in it.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Bob, unfortunately I cannot afford the new Panasonic bluray players. I am going after Sony 550 model.

For the upconversion of standard DVDs I will be using Toshiba HD-XA2, which has the Reon chip in it.
Good, the Sony 550 is a good one, and you have already the HD-XA2 with the Reon video processor for playing your DVDs, excellent.
But the Sammy BD-p2500/2550 (if you can find one) goes for very cheap too.
Just a suggestion. The sammy still upconverts better than the Sony, and it has a sharper picture too, from my point of view.
Anyway, up to you. You're doing excellent by the way.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Fan(s) = Sucking the air OUT, from the top or to the sides.

Bob, in which direction would the fan blow? Would it be an intake or an exhaust fan? Thanks.
It sucks the air out, of course, duh. You don't want to blow the air in, it's not efficient. Also some fans exhaust the air by the sides. I did already give you some links.
* You can simply use an old computer fan and connect it to an old wireless phone's AC transformer (6 volts recommended, that's what I do), and cost NOTHING. A fan of 80mm (4") is best for more efficiency, but a 60mm fan will also do (and you can use two). Remember, the air is coming from the top, so it's sucking the air out of your 805, right on the top of your receiver, over the Faroudja DCDI Genesis Edge Hudson FLI-8125 video processor. ;)

E

EugenT

Enthusiast
But the Sammy BD-p2500/2550 (if you can find one) goes for very cheap too.
Just a suggestion. The sammy still upconverts better than the Sony, and it has a sharper picture too, from my point of view.
I am kind of "upset" with Samsung brand right now. You'd think that 'bitstream' means 'just send the signal and don't touch it'. Why would Samsung BD-P1200 strip DTS-HD MA soundtracks and send them out as DTS instead (through HDMI)??? If it was not for Onkyo 805, I would not even know that.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
"The best value in life is from your brains". LOTR

I am kind of "upset" with Samsung brand right now. You'd think that 'bitstream' means 'just send the signal and don't touch it'. Why would Samsung BD-P1200 strip DTS-HD MA soundtracks and send them out as DTS instead (through HDMI)??? If it was not for Onkyo 805, I would not even know that.
Hi Eugen,

I knew that already. I can read between the lines. But the Sammy BD-P2500/2550 is in another league than the BD-P1200, don't you think?

Besides, at about $150 (street), the BD-P2500/2550 is one of the best deal on the planet. I read all about it, and is not a pain in the a** like the 1200.

I myself own the Sammy BD-UP5000, and I'm very pleased. And I pay much more for it too.
I also own the Panny DMP-BD55, another excellent player.

And you certainly don't need the Sony 550 with it's multichannel analog output. The 350 will do it for your situation.
And before I get a Sony 350 (or any Sony product for that matter), I will get the Panny DMP-BD35, which can be had for very cheap.
And also the Panny DMP-BD60 which is a bit better than the BD-35, and much much better than any Sony blu-ray players, and in particular the 350 or even the 550.

But that's your money and it is your choice. I just thought that I should mentioned to you, that's all. :)

E

EugenT

Enthusiast
I disabled the double bass, changed mains and center crossover point to 80Hz and re-ran the Audyssey setup... The interesting thing is that Audyssey changed the speakers' crossover back to 'full range'. I am not sure if I like it this way, but I'll compare both ways...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis