Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

R

rbhudelson

Enthusiast
FIRMWARE VERSION 1.07 for DSP/RX-Z7 and RX-V3900 is out.

Now lets hope the HDMI bug is dead for good:eek:
1.07 fixed my HDMI issues!!! It could be my imagination but it seems to be displaying a much better picture.

Great job to all that help Yamaha get this fixed.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
1.07 fixed my HDMI issues!!! It could be my imagination but it seems to be displaying a much better picture.

Great job to all that help Yamaha get this fixed.
It also fixed my HDMI issues! Thats really nice!!

I don't think it's your imagination,

FLAC support is still missing though, lets hope it will make it in the next release.:rolleyes:

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
May I ask: what firmware are you using? Does the same thing happen if you power down with Neo 6 on?
I was using 1.05 for the DPLII test. I just tested the Neo6 (shows as DTS) with firmware 1.07. I have it set to an HD radio station. Plays fine through all speakers. I hit the standby button on the remote and then the Power button on the remote and the sound plays through all speakers and is DTS (Neo:6).

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Glad it has fixed the problem for you all. I didn't have the problem anyways.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
I was using 1.05 for the DPLII test. I just tested the Neo6 (shows as DTS) with firmware 1.07. I have it set to an HD radio station. Plays fine through all speakers. I hit the standby button on the remote and then the Power button on the remote and the sound plays through all speakers and is DTS (Neo:6).
Warlan--thank you for checking this. I updated my firmware to 1.07 hoping for a fix. Interestingly, if I use the master power button to turn things off and then turn on, the surround decoder comes up fine. However, if I do just what you describe, no joy. It's kind of hard for me to believe that I have a hardware problem, though because if that was the case--changing from straight to surround decoder should not be able to correct the problem.

I have a theory though--did you change any settings in the setup menu from the default? I made two major changes: I enabled the HDMI through mode and I changed the setup-->options-->initial settings to remember the last decoder mode--however, changing that back and forth didn't seem to matter.

What changes in the setup menu did you make?

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Warlan--thank you for checking this. I updated my firmware to 1.07 hoping for a fix. Interestingly, if I use the master power button to turn things off and then turn on, the surround decoder comes up fine. However, if I do just what you describe, no joy. It's kind of hard for me to believe that I have a hardware problem, though because if that was the case--changing from straight to surround decoder should not be able to correct the problem.
No probs, doing my best to help. I tried with the Master Power button and got the same result as I usually do.

I have a theory though--did you change any settings in the setup menu from the default? I made two major changes: I enabled the HDMI through mode and I changed the setup-->options-->initial settings to remember the last decoder mode--however, changing that back and forth didn't seem to matter.
HDMI standby through is set to off. Can't imagine that would effect your tuner though... My decoder mode is set to AUTO.

What changes in the setup menu did you make?
I really haven't tinkered much in there. Haven't had a ton of time.

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Anyone been able to browse your PC mp3's via the web control? There's a box there but it doesn't show anything...

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Anyone been able to browse your PC mp3's via the web control? There's a box there but it doesn't show anything...
Did you upgrade to 1.07 without initialize ALL afterwards, in Advanced Setup.

I had the same problem with 1.05, until I intialized ALL.

With 1.07, WCC is now much more responsive and quicker than 1.05, while navigating through mp3 files on PC and USB.

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Heh, it's weird. I just restarted my computer (upgraded Acrobat) and it worked. Odd that that would do that given I haven't been able to access the files via web control the entire week (and I have restarted my computer during that time).

It's really cool to be able to do that. Anyone tested it over a PDA?

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Evanesco, I know the firmware didn't mention anything about FLAC, but have you tried it anyways since the new firmware?

C

czubero

Audiophyte
Album Art display issue with 1.07

I can't get the album Art picture with 1.07 in usb and PC streaming mode??, Any suggestion??
Thanks in Advance

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Try Initialize all. Can you see the album art on your PC? If it isn't working there, it won't likely work on your receiver (just a guess).

Initialize all seems to clear some bugs when things are upgraded...

bluemartian

bluemartian

Audiophyte
No suggestions but just wanted to mention that I'm getting album art just fine after upgrading to 1.07 without having done Initialize All. Have also noticed a couple new menu items, mainly Sirius-related (according to the PDF with the update, that is for US machines only).

Not that it really matters, but...I'm curious what happened to 1.06?

Last edited:
C

csimons66

Audiophyte
I found out a way to make FLAC files work from a PC. Download latest version of WINAMP Remote onto your PC. Make sure it is running in your startup menu and you configured it to pass thru the firewall. Configure Winamp Remote to associate the folders containing flac files.

Now when you select PC/MCX on the receiver, it will display "ORB" (Winamp Remote) as a choice. Go to a flac file and VOILA.

Worked for me.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
I found out a way to make FLAC files work from a PC. Download latest version of WINAMP Remote onto your PC. Make sure it is running in your startup menu and you configured it to pass thru the firewall. Configure Winamp Remote to associate the folders containing flac files.

Now when you select PC/MCX on the receiver, it will display "ORB" (Winamp Remote) as a choice. Go to a flac file and VOILA.

Worked for me.
I just tried, and it's true, it plays flac or any other format winamp reads. But Winamp streams flac as mp3 over the network, or at least I assume so, cus' the MP3 tag in the Z7 display is the only one that lights up.

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern

what do you mean a better picture ?

the through picture or the upscaled picture as i thought the yamahas did not touch the picture or losse any quality at all when passing the picture as through ?

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Heat

No, not the movie...:)

Just a note for those who are considering buying this one and have paid attention to Gene's comments in his article.

I have mine on the bottom shelf of a BDI Icon 9428, with about 1 inch of clearance below a glass shelf. I've run mine pretty hard the last few days, but the top has never gotten hot enough where it would be uncomfortable to leave my hand on it. It does heat up the 1/2 inch tempered glass shelf above it though (I can feel it when I place my hand on the top of the shelf).

Yamaha has commented that they had to put that "Caution" sticker on the top of the unit because it can reach 40 degrees C (104 degrees F) in a 25 degree C (77 degrees F) room.

In addition, if you use the HDMI Standby Through feature, the Z7 generates a palpable amount of heat (still warms up the shelf above) even when in standby (and draws about 0.7 - 0.8 amps more than regular standby).

My suggestions are when planning placement before buying:

1. Make sure you can leave the left side of the unit unblocked (this is where the cold air intake is--there is no fan).

2. Don't plan on putting anything above the Z7 that has it's cold air intake on the bottom -- like an Oppo BDP-83 in my case.

3. Get as much clearance above the Z7 as you can or use some method of active cooling.

4. You might want to avoid having a glass shelf above the unit--not sure if the constant heating makes the tempered glass more prone to failure. (I'll pose this question to a materials engineer later today)

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Glass has a pretty high melting point. Rapid hot-cold or cold-hot fluctuations are more likely to cause shattering. But I doubt the Z7 is capable of heating up the glass that fast. :)

I actually have a problem with glass shelves too. I have two glass shelves in my TV stand and only the top provides enough room above my amp. That has forced me to put my center speaker on the floor angled up, for now. :(

C

csimons66

Audiophyte
I just tried, and it's true, it plays flac or any other format winamp reads. But Winamp streams flac as mp3 over the network, or at least I assume so, cus' the MP3 tag in the Z7 display is the only one that lights up.
You're correct. I didn't notice it changed it to mp3. DARN! Wonder what bitrate the network sends them through at? When I play .wav files, PCM tag lights up. Well at least for now, you can at least listen to those files without having to convert formats manually. FYI, .ape files won't work over the network. You hear the music but it plays improperly. Those files need to be converted manually.

R

rbhudelson

Enthusiast
what do you mean a better picture ?

the through picture or the upscaled picture as i thought the yamahas did not touch the picture or losse any quality at all when passing the picture as through ?

Hard to explain but everyone in the house agrees the "picture" is better, more alive. I doubt the change from 1080i to 1080p would cause the perceived better picture. But when the switch is set to processing as opposed to through I would think the machine is doing something with the picture? My TV is the Samsung LN52A650.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis