Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
This is not my understanding of how best to calibrate your speakers manually.

It doesn't seem to make sense to move speakers around to try to get the amp level to 0.0--this would not volume match each speaker to the listening position--which is the whole point of level calibration.

My understanding of the procedure would be something like this:

1. First, set up your speaker positions (The Dolby and THX sites have a good guides)
  2. Get a Radio Shack SPL meter (or equivalent) and a tripod. Meter goes at the primary listening postion on the tripod--seated head level--45 degrees angled towards the front and ceiling.
  3. You go to the speaker setup menu first, then turn the volume control to 0.
  4. Set the test tones to on. Turn on your meter (slow, C -weighted, 70)
  5. Then set the levels of each speaker to to 75db using the AV control.
  6. Manually plug in the distances to each speaker. Done. (You can, of course, then use the equalizer to tweak things)

Either that or just run YPAO and make corrections as needed.
thanks

should i still up the vilume on the sub so the amp does not need to up the db more eg the sub on the amp is set ti +3.5db

what is the best spl meter to use also does the yams meter you get eith it no good or are they spot on

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
thanks

should i still up the vilume on the sub so the amp does not need to up the db more eg the sub on the amp is set ti +3.5db

what is the best spl meter to use also does the yams meter you get eith it no good or are they spot on
I just realized I didn't include the subwoofer routine.

OK: I set the subwoofer gain a bit less than 1/4 to 1/3 way up--that gives you enough adjustment room in the sub and strikes a balance of headroom versus possible distortion to the sub from your receiver.

Then I set the AV receiver volume to 0 and output the test tone for the sub.

I then adjusted setting the AV receiver to achieve 75 db to 78 db at the listening position (purists tend to set it at the same level as your speakers--some prefer to run the sub a little hot--I'm in that camp.) You then can set the distance to sub in the receiver.

It really is just a matter of balance--you just adjust the gain of your sub and the boost from your receiver until you get to the desired db level with minimal distortion. YMMV due to the room itself, size of sub, location in room, quality of AV receiver, etc.

I only have experience with the Radio Shack analog SPL meter--since the readings bounce quite a bit as you are taking your reading, I think the analog is easier to figure out when you are hitting your desired level.

I don't want to further hijack this thread, so if you have further questions along these lines, please feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Possible bug in Z7 HD Radio with PLIIx

Hi, Gene and everyone else:

When I have the FM input selected and tuned to an HD channel with PLIIx (Music) on, the following occurs when I first turn on the unit.

There is sound from the front three speakers and subs, but no sound from the 4 rears.

If I then turn around and puress the surround code button on the remote and toggle the processing to the next processing forward (e.g. PLIIx Movie), the 4 rears play sound. I can then toggle back around to PL IIx Music.

I have noticed this when I am tuned to the 2nd stream of the HD FM signal.

I have also noticed also when I first turn on the receiver and am tuned to the 2nd stream of HD FM upon power up, after about 30 seconds, the tuner plays the 1st stream of that station by itself then returns to the secondary stream.

Can anyone else reproduce this, or is this just a function of the particular signal? I suspect it's a bug and hopefully not a sample defect in my particular receiver.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Question for Gene.

Hi Gene,

Sorry to post my question here, but it seems that it is a good place to see you often.

By the way, I love your new article on older vs newer receivers, adding features that give up on amplifier power and quality...

My question: I know that you recommend not more than 20hz or so gaps,
between the x-overs of speakers, in a surround system, from the receiver or pre/pro.
Now, where can I find the best article or review, explaining the reasons for that?
I did read the review of the Denon AVR-5805, where you praise the excellent
"Bass Management" implementation on this A/V receiver.
Are there other receivers that also implement the proper way of bass management?
And what influences, a less than good bass management, have on Audyssey
Room EQ?

Will much appreciate,

Regards,

_______
Bob

Hi Gene,

Did you read the above quote?
Also, do you still recommend the same setup for the Yamaha RX-Z7?
Any reference from a review or article on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-------- Bob

Donna Negus

Donna Negus

Audiophyte
As I understand it, it only applies to adding DSP sound field processing to DTS-HD or TrueHD... if you leave the Z7 on Straight, you are hearing the lossless decode, and the Z7 will add eq, bass management, etc without down-sampling.

BTW.. 99% of all BD material is mastered at 48k... we won't be mixing films in 96k and time soon, and going from 96 to 48, and then adding "artificial" processing to it is going to negate the benefits of being 96k in the first place. ;)
:rolleyes:
my husband cant stand film mixers they make it too far too loud.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
RX-Z7 owners--can you please test this?

All: If you own the RX-Z7, can you please try this out--I am trying to determine if there is a bug in the way PLIIx is implemented in the FM tuner section.

Central issue is whether or not PLIIx will engage while listening to a HD FM channel upon first powering up the Yamaha RX-Z7.

This is what I did:

1. Tuned a strong HD-FM channel--selected stream 2. , selected PLIIxMusic mode--resulted in sound from all 7 speakers. Turned off AV receiver.

2. Turned on the AV receiver, tuner comes on--intially begins to play stream 2 in 2 channel mode. Crossfade of the HD-FM channel occurs then the stream 1 plays for a few seconds, then reverts to stream 2. (This is normal).

3. However, only sound comes from the 2 main speakers despite how long I wait. PLIIx Music is still indicated on the tuner.

4. I toggle the AV reciever to PLIIx Movie mode, and then I get sound from all 7 speakers as usual. I then just toggled through all of the other modes (Neo 6, etc.,) then back to PLIIx Music mode--sound from all 7.

5. I tested this in another way. I switched inputs to cable/sat and tuned to a music station on cable with PLIIx Movie engaged--sound from all 7 speakers. I then selected the FM Tuner input, and then right away I get the HD stream 2 that I had tuned to previously with sound from all 7 speakers.

Really strange--the issue only occurs when I power up in FM tuner mode--it doesn't seem to engage PLIIx until I toggle to a different PLIIx mode.

Does this happen with your Yamaha RX-Z7?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited:
M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
More on possible bug in surround processing for Tuner

All:

I just did some further testing with various inputs and modes, etc.

It turns out that when you power up my RX-Z7 while in FM Tuner mode, no surround processing will be applied (even though the display indicates it is active). This is true regardless of the surround mode selected prior to powering down. The surround processing will not be applied to the FM signal from power up until you actually toggle to another surround processing mode with the remote--then everything works fine.

The behavior is reproducible whether or not one is listening to a HD FM channel or not. It also happens for me regardless what setting is set in the setup menu under options-->Decoder or Ext Surround modes.

This does not occur when using other inputs (cable, etc.). In those, the surround processing is applied immediately upon power up.

Does this behavior occur in your Z7? Thanks!

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
I don't have 7.1, so I could only do DPLII. I didn't have your issue with DPLII. I'll see if I can find a pair of old speakers lying around to test it for you.

I'll assume you upgraded your firmware already.

I really like the web control feature. I wonder if it will work on a wifi compat phone. It didn't seem like you could turn the amp on if you turned it off via the web control.

L

Lonestar09

Audiophyte
Component Video Switching

Thanks for you reply gene. :)

Regarding the component video for another zone, you wouldn't want to test it to make sure would you? ;)
Warlan, not sure if anyone has answered your question yet. I have the z7 with a Zone 2 configured for both audio and video. The component video output on my unit is assigned to Zone 2. With that config, zone 2 will only show video images that are input using component-in jacks, i.e. there is no switching from composite to component, HDMI to component, or s-video to component. Only component to component is available.

BTW, there is one and only one component video output on the z-7.

L

loatincali

Audiophyte
Component to S-Video

Warlan, not sure if anyone has answered your question yet. I have the z7 with a Zone 2 configured for both audio and video. The component video output on my unit is assigned to Zone 2. With that config, zone 2 will only show video images that are input using component-in jacks, i.e. there is no switching from composite to component, HDMI to component, or s-video to component. Only component to component is available.

Actually, I can get component to show on my S-Video "monitor out" connection. I have a component Wii and older DVD player that will show on a small monitor I have attached to the RX-Z7.

The only issue I ran into was both the Wii and DVD player need to be non-progressive mode, but that might be a limitation of the monitor.

Do you have any experience with Zone4 audio? I can only seem to get opt-to-opt sound (no tuner/net or HDMI audio) even on party mode. However, zone3 via analog cable will play every connection on party mode, weird?

K

kyeo138

Audiophyte
Just got my z7 from 6th ave today. Got it situated and hooked up started playing with it a little, but then noticed a VERY loose HDMI connection. 2 of them actually (HDMI ports 2 & 3). So loose that if you bumped the stand, they would fall right out. So i'm sending it back and have to wait a few more days :mad:

6th ave was really good about the return though. After fiddling for a few, I realized I have a lot of reading to do on the manual anyway!

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
I don't have 7.1, so I could only do DPLII. I didn't have your issue with DPLII. I'll see if I can find a pair of old speakers lying around to test it for you.

I'll assume you upgraded your firmware already.

I really like the web control feature. I wonder if it will work on a wifi compat phone. It didn't seem like you could turn the amp on if you turned it off via the web control.
Hi, Warlan:

So, if you tune to FM using DPLII. Then power off, and wait a minute or two.

Then, if you power on again, do you immediately have sound coming from all 5 speakers?

Thanks!

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
firmware 1.07 is released

FIRMWARE VERSION 1.07 for DSP/RX-Z7 and RX-V3900 is out.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/down/index.html

Yamaha is pleased to offer this firmware update to ensure the best possible performance
for your Yamaha RX-Z7/DSP-Z7 AV Receiver / Amplifier. This firmware includes the following improvements:
□ Album art display on the GUI menu for USB and PC music playback.
□ Improvements on HDMI and iPod connectivity.

Now lets hope the HDMI bug is dead for good:eek:

L

Lonestar09

Audiophyte
Actually, I can get component to show on my S-Video "monitor out" connection. I have a component Wii and older DVD player that will show on a small monitor I have attached to the RX-Z7.

The only issue I ran into was both the Wii and DVD player need to be non-progressive mode, but that might be a limitation of the monitor.
I can't comment on what is "switched" or converted to the analog video outs like composite or s-video. I was only referring to the component out, as I would assume most setting up a second zone for video would want HD quality that will only come with digital video connections like Component video or HDMI. On page 103 of the manual (US Eng version, "Setup/MultiZone") it states:

The video conversion function does not work for the COMPONENT VIDEO (MONITOR OUT/ZONE OUT) jacks if “Component Assign” is set to “Zone 2”, “Zone 3”, or “Zone 4”.

FWIW, My second zone is far away from the main zone. I only had CAT5 cable as an option. I bought a Component Video to CAT5 converter from Gefen. It works great and transmits the HD images. I was a little Skeptical with the concept, but have been pleased so far.

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Hi, Warlan:

So, if you tune to FM using DPLII. Then power off, and wait a minute or two.

Then, if you power on again, do you immediately have sound coming from all 5 speakers?

Thanks!
Yes I do. Well, let me qualify that. When I power back on it defaults for like 1 second to the non HD channel, then switches automatically to the HD channel (either that or it is changing sound decode modes). I hear sound from all 5 speakers, although it is really horrible and intermittent coming from the surrounds. I would think this is an issue with DPLII rather than the receiver. Most of the sound comes from the center and fronts.

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern

Thanks! Unfortunately, I have already purchased and setup my Z7 since I last posted that! I haven't actually tested it yet though. I think even with the limitations you are suggesting I will be fine. For my Main zone I use only HDMI. I wanted to run the component upstairs to my living room in the future. All that means is I'll have to run components from my sources (360 and PS3 for example) to the receiver as well (the display upstairs is 720p). I would assign the component video to Zone 4 and use the optical out for Zone4. Since it will be going to an Amp with volume control (my old denon 2801) it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, I will try the HDMI out 2.

Last edited:
W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Just a side, but has anyone seen the diagram on page 129 of the manual? The people that are dancing look more like the chalk outlines of homicides. :eek:

R

rbj9

Enthusiast
It's the two sperm's sleeping below them that is really scary!

rb

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Yes I do. Well, let me qualify that. When I power back on it defaults for like 1 second to the non HD channel, then switches automatically to the HD channel (either that or it is changing sound decode modes). I hear sound from all 5 speakers, although it is really horrible and intermittent coming from the surrounds. I would think this is an issue with DPLII rather than the receiver. Most of the sound comes from the center and fronts.
May I ask: what firmware are you using? Does the same thing happen if you power down with Neo 6 on?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis