UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Red Bull is going to topple everyones' apple cart this year. I mean, it's Adrian Newey designing the car. Everything he touches turns to gold!! Webber is going to look just regular compared to Vettel.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Red Bull is going to topple everyones' apple cart this year. I mean, it's Adrian Newey designing the car. Everything he touches turns to gold!! Webber is going to look just regular compared to Vettel.

I hope so. F1 needs the apple cart toppled every once and awhile. Hopefully it creates more and better competitions.

annunaki

annunaki

Testing is always a guessing game. We will not begin to see how things are going until Friday practice in three & half weeks time.

I will say that Red Bull is looking good so far. Don't forget Honda the one year though (2005?). They looked very good in testing and then flopped. I hope that is not the case here.

I think Vettel is going to impress this year.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
The hell with Bernie, I'm changing my name to RaggedF1.

"USF1 becomes USGPE

The USF1 team has got off to a troublesome start with Formula One Management objecting to the use of "F1", which it claims to own. The Formula One group likes to put TM signs on all mentions but this means little more than the fact that the trademark has been applied for, and even have been refused.

The group continues to try to win control of the trademaark despite several rulings stating this is impossible. The group has registered the flying F1 logo and the FIA did get a registered trademark which was for "FIA Formula One World Championship". This is why Formula One is used in official communications rather than Formula 1. Unfortunately, the situation is further confused as Formulaone.com is not owned by Formula One Management but rather by a US company that manufactures windscreen tinting films. Oddly enough Formula ONE is a registered trademark.

Whatever the case USF1 has been asked to change its name and as Tony George is believed to own the rights the term USGP, it has been re-registered as US GP Engineering."

annunaki

annunaki

I caught the news this morning. BrawnGP

As long as the funding is there, I don't see why they cannot be competitive. The front of the car is eerily similar to the F2004, at least the nose anyway (less the wing).

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
I really do hope they're competitive. Honda indicated they were working on the 09 car early, so I suppose it's possible they may have the basis of a good car, despite the time lost. I wonder how much development has actually been happening over the last few weeks.

Interesting looking ridge on the side of the nose cone (http://www.brawngp.com/images/gallery/bgp001-20.jpg). I hadn't spotted something similar on the other cars. Presumably to control air flow.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

I'd say t looks like they have done their homework so far. I would like to see the rear of the more. The Macca looks to have one of the larger rear bodywork areas. It would be interesting to see if that holds true ith the BrawnGP car.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Yea... good point... there are lots of photos there, but mainly from the front.

On an unrelated note; I recall mention of the limiters on the engines, with penalties for going over the maximum RPM. Over the last couple of seasons, some TV commentators have noted the issue that getting an aerodynamic tow off another car could cause the engine speed to rise too high, so the teams have to account for this when they choose their ratios.

So, assuming you have a KERS system and you're not planning on using the stored energy against a rival car on a particular corner, you're going to want to use the boost down the main straight on every lap. I guess an extra 80bhp will raise the maximum speed a bit, so will teams have to compromise ratios to account for this? I.e. without a KERS boost on the straight, you won't be taking the engine anywhere near the legal redline.

Anyone have info about this?

annunaki

annunaki

A good question. To my understanding, the KERS will simply apply additional power to the drive train as opposed to revving the engine. So to answer your question, no, they could still run at near max rpm and still use the KERS.

Yea... good point... there are lots of photos there, but mainly from the front.

On an unrelated note; I recall mention of the limiters on the engines, with penalties for going over the maximum RPM. Over the last couple of seasons, some TV commentators have noted the issue that getting an aerodynamic tow off another car could cause the engine speed to rise too high, so the teams have to account for this when they choose their ratios.

So, assuming you have a KERS system and you're not planning on using the stored energy against a rival car on a particular corner, you're going to want to use the boost down the main straight on every lap. I guess an extra 80bhp will raise the maximum speed a bit, so will teams have to compromise ratios to account for this? I.e. without a KERS boost on the straight, you won't be taking the engine anywhere near the legal redline.

Anyone have info about this?

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Yeah that BrawnGP nose looks very different from the rest of the teams.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
A good question. To my understanding, the KERS will simply apply additional power to the drive train as opposed to revving the engine. So to answer your question, no, they could still run at near max rpm and still use the KERS.
I was wondering about this - but I don't know how it would be possible. You'd have to couple 700+bhp from the gearbox to the diff, and dump the KERS power (presumably also to the diff) without affecting the engine?

As the straight line speed would be higher with KERS enabled, you'd have the wheels going faster than the engine could legally run.

annunaki

annunaki

I was wondering about this - but I don't know how it would be possible. You'd have to couple 700+bhp from the gearbox to the diff, and dump the KERS power (presumably also to the diff) without affecting the engine?

As the straight line speed would be higher with KERS enabled, you'd have the wheels going faster than the engine could legally run.
There was some discussion similar to this over at the SpeedTV F1 Tech forums. I will dig it up when I have some time. They use some sort of system to engage/disengage it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis