Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene or any owners of the Z7, can you provide more details on the following features mentioned here and on other threads.

- Gene's review says the Z7 does not provide any processing or enhancements on the component video inputs. Does this mean the unit will not perform any noise reduction or detail enhancement? According to the manual the unit will convert between any type of analog video and even digital. If you, say, input s-video and output component, are the video processing features available then?

- Can you explain the restriction on switched AC. Does standby mode not switch off other equipment connected via the switch AC outlets?

- Gene, can you help me interpret your charts. On the THD vs Power I am used to seeing a J curve. Is there a correlation between the blue and red plots on your chart? On the output impedance you say it fell within your 100mohm mark for the entire audio bandwidth but the way the chart reads to me is from 105-200 mohms. Maybe I am misreading, just curious.
The difference between the J curve you're used to seeing is that is an instantaneous power vs distortion test at 1kHz. My power vs distortion is fullbandwidth and continuous. The blue line is power regulated to 0.1% THD + N at full bandwidth. The red shows the distortion.

The impedance rise above 10kHz is caused by cable inductance of the test setup. Look below 10kHz and you will see the impedance is around the 100mohm mark I like to see in amplifiers.

T

tnt17

Audiophyte
blue lines

I was wondering why i,m getting red lines instead of the blue sparkles when hdmi to hdmi processing is enabled.

M

mrobb

Enthusiast
Front presense Wanted

If this amp had front presense like my old A1 or the Z11 this amp would be a no brainer for me. Where we live here in NZ no one stocks this or a denon4308 amp so am really reliant or reviews and the shop owners will order them only if we take them so no auditions possible. Denon 4308 or Yammy Z7 acousticly my room isn't to bad 5metres wide 8 metres long ceiling height 2.4 metres a perfect rectangle.
What I would like to know is if anyone has listened to these 2 amps acousticly which sounds the best especially for movies?

P

Palani

Audiophyte
Presence Speakers

If this amp had front presense like my old A1 or the Z11 this amp would be a no brainer for me. Where we live here in NZ no one stocks this or a denon4308 amp so am really reliant or reviews and the shop owners will order them only if we take them so no auditions possible. Denon 4308 or Yammy Z7 acousticly my room isn't to bad 5metres wide 8 metres long ceiling height 2.4 metres a perfect rectangle.
What I would like to know is if anyone has listened to these 2 amps acousticly which sounds the best especially for movies?
The RX-Z7 does indeed have outputs for front presence speakers. Its an either/or situation. The front presence speakers are enabled in certain modes where the rear surround speakers are not used. Can't use them all at the same time.
I'm loving mine. Got it about 10 days ago from 6th Ave, using their discount coupon. It was shipped UPS to Hawaii, 2nd day, for $100. Double boxed, perfect condition.

bluemartian

bluemartian

Audiophyte
Hey folks...I'm new to the forum. I'm going to be picking up a Z7 late this week and I was curious about the FW updates. Are they cumulative or do they all have to be applied in sequence? I'm waiting for the new one that Gene talks about in his review, which hopefully will be available by the time my unit gets in. Thanks!

benamaster

benamaster

Audiophyte
Hey folks...I'm new to the forum. I'm going to be picking up a Z7 late this week and I was curious about the FW updates. Are they cumulative or do they all have to be applied in sequence? I'm waiting for the new one that Gene talks about in his review, which hopefully will be available by the time my unit gets in. Thanks!
You just have to install the latest one. If yours comes with say FW 1.02 you can jump right to FW 1.05 which is the latest. Hopefully FW 1.06 will be out by the time you receive yours.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I just tested their 1.06 ver they plan on releasing soon. It works flawless from my tests. stay tuned....

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
Just wondering if perhaps Gene, or anyone else with a Z7, has found a way to disable the video output for non-video based inputs? For example, if I switch from my PS3 input to my ipod dock or CD player input, the Z7 displays the wallpaper/background image on the display. This is quite annoying as I like to listen to music/radio/etc while playing video games that I don't need the sound for. All other receivers I have owed did this without a problem. Another time it is annoying is when I want to have a sporting event on the TV but play music instead of listening to the commentators or listen to the radio broadcast of the same game.

I have looked for a setting in the menu for this without any luck, I am hoping that I may have missed it. If not I hope that this is something yamaha will consider for a firmware upgrade along with being able to select which HDMI's are processed rather than the current all or nothing setting.

bluemartian

bluemartian

Audiophyte
You just have to install the latest one. If yours comes with say FW 1.02 you can jump right to FW 1.05 which is the latest. Hopefully FW 1.06 will be out by the time you receive yours.
I just tested their 1.06 ver they plan on releasing soon. It works flawless from my tests. stay tuned....
Thanks for the info. I'm eagerly awaiting my new unit's arrival.

Got another question. I've been reading the Z7's manual and I noticed that it has a USB port in front and in back but that only one of these can be enabled and used at any given time. My Denon 3808ci was the same way. I'm just curious if anyone knows why this is? Computer USB ports can be hooked up device-after-device up to something like 127. Why are multiple USB ports on AV receivers not even enabled let alone useable simultaneously?

I tend to hook up a Cooler Guys USB-powered fan in the back for cooling purposes but would like the front port available for thumbdrives and such. It is not too much of a pain to disable/enable and then reverse when needed but, again, why the limitation in this regard? Thanks!

Q

quenthal

Enthusiast
Just wondering if perhaps Gene, or anyone else with a Z7, has found a way to disable the video output for non-video based inputs? For example, if I switch from my PS3 input to my ipod dock or CD player input, the Z7 displays the wallpaper/background image on the display. This is quite annoying as I like to listen to music/radio/etc while playing video games that I don't need the sound for. All other receivers I have owed did this without a problem. Another time it is annoying is when I want to have a sporting event on the TV but play music instead of listening to the commentators or listen to the radio broadcast of the same game.

I have looked for a setting in the menu for this without any luck, I am hoping that I may have missed it. If not I hope that this is something yamaha will consider for a firmware upgrade along with being able to select which HDMI's are processed rather than the current all or nothing setting.
This was possible with 3800 I had previously, but 3900 / Z7 doesn't have this capability.. it seems that you would have to "upgrade" to 1900 to get this feature. :rolleyes:

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
hmm I need to check that as its quite a useful feature that may be lacking on the 3900.
is there a party mod eon the 3900 ?

i am upgrading from a Yamaha A2 (10 years old) and was woundering if the 3900 is a big upgrade in music and movies sound quality ?

also is there alot of diffrence between the Z7 and 3900 for sound quality or is it just features and slighty better build quality ?

is there going to be a 3900 review

going to be using these speakers on the unit

Model iQ90 main left and right
Design Three-way bass reflex
Drive Units 2 x 165mm (6.5in.) LF, 165mm (6.5in.) Uni-Q, 19mm (0.75in.) aluminium dome HF
Crossover Frequencies 180Hz, 2.5kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Maximum Output 113dB
Input Impedance 8 Ohms
Amplifier Requirements 15-200W
Magnetic Shielding Yes
Frequency Range 33Hz - 40kHz
Plinth Dimensions (H x W x D) 28 x 288 x 348 mm (1.1 x 11.3 x 13.7 in.)
Weight 16.3kg (35.9lbs)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 942 x 220 x 327 mm (37 x 8.7 x 12.9 in.)
Finishes Black Ash, Dark Apple, American Walnut

Model iQ30 rears
Design Two-way bass reflex
Drive Units 165mm (6.5in.) Uni-Q, 19mm (0.75in.) aluminium dome HF
Crossover Frequencies 2.5kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 89dB
Maximum Output 110dB
Input Impedance 8 Ohms
Amplifier Requirements 15-120W
Magnetic Shielding Yes
Frequency Range 45Hz - 40KHz
Weight 6.45kg (14.2lbs)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 365 x 220 x 327 mm (14.4 x 8.7 x 12.9 in.)

Model iQ60c centre
Design Three-way bass reflex
Drive Units 2 x 130mm (5.25in.) LF, 130mm (5.25in.) Uni-Q, 19mm (0.75in.) aluminium dome HF
Crossover Frequencies 280Hz, 2.8kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90dB
Maximum Output 111dB
Input Impedance 8 Ohms
Amplifier Requirements 15-150W
Magnetic Shielding Yes
Frequency Range 65Hz - 40KHz
Weight 8.8kg (19.4lbs)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 165 x 512 x 255 mm (6.5 x 20.1 x 10 in.)

thanks all

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
no there is no party mode on the 3900. I updated the review comparison table to reflect this.

No there will be no review of a 3900 as the product is too similar to warrant it.

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
no there is no party mode on the 3900. I updated the review comparison table to reflect this.

No there will be no review of a 3900 as the product is too similar to warrant it.
so the sound for music and movies just as good on the 3900 to the Z7 is there much diffrence in the sounds ? ans what do you think of the 3900

thanks

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
so the sound for music and movies just as good on the 3900 to the Z7 is there much diffrence in the sounds ? ans what do you think of the 3900

thanks
I believe this was already asked & answered earlier in this thread.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Trouble Flashing Firmware

Hi!

Has anyone had any trouble flashing the firmware on the Z7?

I downloaded the firmware, copied only the bin file to the formatted flash drive, followed the instructions with the update. (I copied only the file, not the folder with the name)

The Z7 started verifying the file and then stated "invalid file".

Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks!

T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
I found a way to watch one source while listening to another one. It's limited but it does work, i've confirmed it.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Hi!

Has anyone had any trouble flashing the firmware on the Z7?

I downloaded the firmware, copied only the bin file to the formatted flash drive, followed the instructions with the update. (I copied only the file, not the folder with the name)

The Z7 started verifying the file and then stated "invalid file".

Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks!
I ended up formatting another working flash drive, downloaded the firmware again, and this time it worked. Both flash dirves work fine--am able to copy files freely on both. I have no idea why the flash update worked the second time.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Hey Gene!

I bought a DSP-Z7 based on your review.

Since you already have the new firmware 1.06. can you tell us, what the new features are? Thanx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis