Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Are you running a Samsung TV? If so that is likely the problem. Motorolla boxes get hosed by Samsung TV's when running HDMI. I have 3 of those boxes and 2 Samsungs in my home so I connect them via Component Video else I have to unplug and replug my boxes every other day due to freezing or failure in operation.

You shouldn't even use the outlets on the back of a receiver. For $150, buy an APC H15 from the Audioholics Store. Seriously, not trying to pimp our store but thats an insane deal and will accomplish all of your switching goals while also giving you real protection and not taxing the receiver to run other devices through it.

Mine is ver 1.05 but they claim its beta and not released. I was making a supposition about there eventually being a 1.06 to fix this problem 100%. It doesn't exist yet.
I do agree with you that you souldn't use the A/C outlets on the back of a receiver.
But what's your take in a situation where you would like to run a small fan from the A/C outlet of the back of the receiver, in synchronisation with the Power switch On/Off, of the denoted receiver?
Thanks, will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I do agree with you that you souldn't use the A/C outlets on the back of a receiver.
But what's your take in a situation where you would like to run a small fan from the A/C outlet of the back of the receiver, in synchronisation with the Power switch On/Off, of the denoted receiver?
Thanks, will be much appreciated.
Low power stuff like a fan or a DVD player is fine.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Double jeopardy question.

Low power stuff like a fan or a DVD player is fine.
Thank you sir. That's what I tought too.

Now, even if you are using an AC Adaptor/Transformer to power your fan?
About noise contamination affecting the Audio signal coming in and going out?

Bob
"Play with that" (That's my new signature)

Oh, by the way, I'm looking forward to your review of the Yamaha RX-Z7, "coming soon to a theater near you"; tomorrow (Monday) supposedly or perhaps?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oh, by the way, I'm looking forward to your review of the Yamaha RX-Z7, "coming soon to a theater near you"; tomorrow (Monday) supposedly or perhaps?
I am happy to report after extensive testing this weekend that the Beta firmware has resolved the HDMI processing issue that I found. Yamaha will be releasing this firmware on their website after it goes through their QC department.

My review will be posted this Monday, likely towards the end of the day as its nearly 9500 words with lots of pics and measurements and is quite complex to post.

Q

qdemn7

Enthusiast
I am happy to report after extensive testing this weekend that the Beta firmware has resolved the HDMI processing issue that I found. Yamaha will be releasing this firmware on their website after it goes through their QC department.

My review will be posted this Monday, likely towards the end of the day as its nearly 9500 words with lots of pics and measurements and is quite complex to post.
Gene, that is one great big relief for myself and other Z7 owners. Thank you so much. :)

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte

Gene, this is great to hear. Despite the problems I still wanted to purchase this unit. I've been silently rooting for a fix. Thanks for your efforts, I hope Yamaha has extended the same!

D

DasCuban

Audiophyte

That's great news, thanks for all of your hard work Gene.

Any indication from Yamaha as to what the problem is/was?

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
Gene, this is great to hear. Despite the problems I still wanted to purchase this unit. I've been silently rooting for a fix. Thanks for your efforts, I hope Yamaha has extended the same!
That's great news, thanks for all of your hard work Gene.

Any indication from Yamaha as to what the problem is/was?
Ditto. I'm all smiles. Thank you so much, Gene! I look forward to your review too and thanks in advance!

R

robmet1015

Audiophyte
Gene,

Can we expect to see remarks comparing the Pioneer SC-07 to the Z7 and the differences between eachother?

There are a bunch of us reading this thread that are in a toss up of what one of these new high end receivers to go with.

Thanks.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I just don't get it.

Everything is sent 1080P to my POS Toshiba LCD, and the Z7 up-converts every single piece of equipment to the finest picture my tv has ever had.

All HDMI-HDMI.(BJC)

The only 1 single complaint I have is the remote. It does work better after removing the clear film off of the front IR lens cover.:eek::eek:

I am sorry to hear so many are having these problems, but I am having none.

B

buystoomuch

Audiophyte
RX-v3900

Hi
I bought my RX-3900 on 10-31-08. I've had the blue lines from day one. No I haven't called Yamaha yet! I've upgraded to v 1.05 and they are still there. If I change HDMI back to through and then back to upconvert they go away for the night of watching TV but back the next day. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know also, OK!
Thank you!

Q

quenthal

Enthusiast
My review is Posted!!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-z7-7.1

No more whining about it being late. :p
Excellents, thanks for the through review! I'm also very happy to see that there are more firmware updates coming, even though I haven't suffered from blue lines/sparkles (running 1.04 fw).

As you link to Yamaha's RX-Z7 products page for updates, do you know if Yamaha has just updated their 1.05 firmware which was available earlier, or does this new firmware get new version number too?

However I found this part of the crossover settings intresting...:

As was the case with the RX-Z11, the RX-Z7 provides for variable crossover settings per speaker group (ie. Mains, Center, Surrounds but doesn't give you a choice for the subwoofer crossover which I found through my testing to be dependent on the main channel crossover setting.
I would assume subwoofer crossover would be highest setting used in different speaker groups. At least I think it would be most logical choice.

For example if I were to use 60Hz for main speakers, 80hz for center and 100Hz for surrounds and rears, subwoofer would produce the sum of LFE, <60Hz from mains, <80Hz from center and <100Hz from surrounds and rears, not just LFE and <60Hz from all speakers..?

Also is it possible to have PLIIz as fw update for Z7/Z11, as they are products of flagship line? I know that Dolby PLIIz is mainly targeted for gamers, but it would still be nice to know that the capability is there. This or atleast their own presence speaker layout would require Z7 to allow more than 8 "speaker outputs"...:

Because of this, you can run a full fledged 7.1 system in the main zone while simultaneously serving music in three other zones all powered by external amplification.
... does it to the same for presence and surr. back speakers? EDIT: Nevermind... ;) , I just read this to be one of the suggestions for improvement in the review.

Last edited:
V

vakavanha

Audiophyte
Biamping

Hi,

With RX-Z7, is it possible to biamp center channel only?

In my case, I have quality 2-channel set already and I'am gonna drive AV-amp
thru "Processor Loop".

Pete

F

F1Racer

Audiophyte
Yamaha Z7 Video Test Results

My review is Posted!!

No more whining about it being late. :p
I don't understand your video test chart. You list a perfect score in all categories and also have some as failing. How can you have a perfect score and fail at the same time?

Taking the amplifier 4-ohm capabilities out of the equation; sonically, did you prefer the SC-07 or the Z7? I had 3900 and returned it for the SC-07 because I thought the bass reproduction to be better on the SC-07 and a little smother in the high end. This could have all come down to the calibration, although I do miss the +10dB gain for the Multi-Ch inputs on the Yamaha. Do you know of a way to overcome this, my SACD/DVD-Audio player does not have this either?

I have some networking and iPod touch problems with the SC-07 and I really miss the HD radio and web interface. I have about a week to return this unit. Unfortunately Magnolia (BestBuy) does not carry the Z7.

Andy

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't understand your video test chart. You list a perfect score in all categories and also have some as failing. How can you have a perfect score and fail at the same time?

Taking the amplifier 4-ohm capabilities out of the equation; sonically, did you prefer the SC-07 or the Z7? I had 3900 and returned it for the SC-07 because I thought the bass reproduction to be better on the SC-07 and a little smother in the high end. This could have all come down to the calibration, although I do miss the +10dB gain for the Multi-Ch inputs on the Yamaha. Do you know of a way to overcome this, my SACD/DVD-Audio player does not have this either?

I have some networking and iPod touch problems with the SC-07 and I really miss the HD radio and web interface. I have about a week to return this unit. Unfortunately Magnolia (BestBuy) does not carry the Z7.
Cut and paste error fixed. Thanks.

I spent extensive time sonically comparing the Z7 with the SC-07. I much preferred the Z7 b/c the amps sounded far more composed and unstrained at high listening levels with my 4 ohm speakers. The SC-07 subjectively had a bit more punch in the bass but when running powered subs in your system, its a moot point. Considering better multi room features, network streaming and DSP processing, the RX-Z7 is the clear winner to me. Plus I was able to really crank it loud in my 6,000cuft room while the SC-07 reached max volume and wouldnt go any louder for me due to the volume scaling issue that I discovered plaques some products such as the Denon AVP, Onkyo receivers, and the Pioneer. The Yamaha doesn't have this problem. In most cases people may not notice this unless they play sources recorded at much lower levels like I tend to at times (HD DVD, older Dire Straits, CDs, etc).

Q

qdemn7

Enthusiast
Gene, did Yamaha give you any idea of the ETA of this new firmware (1.06??) on their website?

F

F1Racer

Audiophyte
Any comments on this...

Thanks
Andy

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Any comments on this...

re-read first sentence of post 217

Gene, did Yamaha give you any idea of the ETA of this new firmware (1.06??) on their website?
Nope so right now I am the only one in the country with the fix :) They are off today but I will be following up during the week to see when this firmware passes their QC and gets posted.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis