Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
... AFAIK the blue lines are limited to the Z7. I don't recall any reports of this on the 3900, probably because it doesn't support the video processing options of the Z7...
Apparently this is no longer true, as there's now a report in the avsforum 1900/3900 thread of lines on the 3900 (which disappear when HDMI->HDMI processing is set to "Through"). It seems to be rare on the 3900 though, otherwise I would have expected a lot more reports.

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Apparently this is no longer true, as there's now a report in the avsforum 1900/3900 thread of lines on the 3900 (which disappear when HDMI->HDMI processing is set to "Through"). It seems to be rare on the 3900 though, otherwise I would have expected a lot more reports.
Aren't they Red lines though??

benamaster

benamaster

Audiophyte
I will check tonight but I think the blue horizontal lines are when its going from HDMI -> HDMI and the red vertical lines are from Analog -> HDMI. I will try and test but I noticed that if I bring up the overlay menu on the Yamaha the lines go away but once the overlay menu is gone the lines come right back, changing the input still solves the problem.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene i am a first timer here on this thread,but it is about time you served up the reveiw on the z7 ,it was due before christmas. It seems to me that you realy want this amp to rate highly and are waiting for some sort of firmware upgrade on the video side of things,i get the feeling that if this was any other brand the reveiw would be done!!!!!!! we are all waiting ,upgrade or no upgrade your reveiw may just be the kick in the ___ that yamaha need to correct this fault.
blue line fever ,
I do this as a courtesy for all manufacturers before publishing reviews. You should have seen the debugging I did for Denon on the AVP before they sent me a 2nd unit that functioned properly. As an Engineer myself, I know the stuggles manufacturers deal with in getting working products released to market so I guess I am a bit more attuned to this.

Anyways the review was submitted to Yamaha for tech peer today and will be online by Friday or latest this Monday.

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
Anyways the review was submitted to Yamaha for tech peer today and will be online by Friday or latest this Monday.
Hi Gene, Has the blue line/sparkle issue been resolved or is it still an issue and will be noted as such in the review with a potential future update to the review when the issue is resolved?

Thank you,
Paul

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene, Has the blue line/sparkle issue been resolved or is it still an issue and will be noted as such in the review with a potential future update to the review when the issue is resolved?

Thank you,
Paul
Not yet. The only resolution that I found thus far is to set the HDMI to HDMI to "through" mode. I haven't seen any problems with analog to HDMI processing. When Yamaha fixes this problem, I will add a review addendum. Until then, I downgraded the video processing and overall rating of the product in my review :(

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
Not yet. The only resolution that I found thus far is to set the HDMI to HDMI to "through" mode. I haven't seen any problems with analog to HDMI processing. When Yamaha fixes this problem, I will add a review addendum. Until then, I downgraded the video processing and overall rating of the product in my review :(
Thank you for the clarification. As I suspected the current review will note the issue and rate the video processing accordingly and when fixed that portion of video testing may be reevaluated with the final results added to the review.

I look forward to your review as I sold my 3800 with intent to buy a Z7. I'm cautiously hopeful this issue will be resolved soon too. I'd like to replace my unit in the next month or two and would like to see this issue resolved. I'm miss my 3800. It sounded fantastic.

D

DasCuban

Audiophyte
Thanks for your efforts Gene; very much looking forward to reading the review.

Having contacted Yamaha UK I was told to upgrade to fw revision 1.05 (mine is 1.04), although I did make it clear that others had tried this without success. The chap I spoke to was unaware of any problems with the DSP Z7, but said that he would be speaking to techies in Japan and would call me when he had news. Nothing as yet, but I've pointed him in the direction of this thread for gathering more info and opinions...

I have to say, without wanting to scaremonger, it does concern me that we've not heard any 'we'll fix this in the next firmware release' type noises coming from Yamaha; I appreciate that this may be proving difficult to resolve, but I would hope after 7 or 8 weeks that some sort of strategy would be emerging wether that be a firmware revision, an official statement or, dare I say, a recall. If it were me I would be attempting to gather as much detail from affected customers as possible; I work between technology and end customers every day and there is no better way of gathering info or restoring confidence than opening good lines of communication with those affected.

Fingers crossed we hear something soon. :confused:

Thanks..

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
so far my local Yamaha contact told me they have had zero returns about this issue so hopefully when they ship my sample to Japan they will find a fix and get this resolved.

64met

64met

Audioholic
Gene and Others; I am confused... I went to another forum today and all end users there did not report any issues with the RXZ7; specifically; no blue artificating. Are there different units perhaps; USA/Europe? Just seems odd this issue is not more rampant... what about specific serial lots? IDK?? I am very close to either buying the Rxz7 or the Marantz Pre AV8003... Feature wise; the Yamaha wins... but this issue is a concern. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thxs

A

Alien

Audiophyte
For those Z7 owners in the AU/Euro space who have the perforated plastic cover over part of the cooling vents it is quite easy to remove.

Just put your thumb or finger nail under one of the clips & gently push them sideways this releases the clip. After all the clips are removed the plastic cover can be lifted off. The black top of the case is revealed which looks much better in my cabinet rather the translucent plastic cover which looked white/silver from where I sit.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Gene and Others; I am confused... I went to another forum today and all end users there did not report any issues with the RXZ7; specifically; no blue artificating. Are there different units perhaps; USA/Europe? Just seems odd this issue is not more rampant... what about specific serial lots? IDK?? I am very close to either buying the Rxz7 or the Marantz Pre AV8003... Feature wise; the Yamaha wins... but this issue is a concern. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thxs
Gene, there is already a video available from someone else but maybe you could make a video about what you see on your Z7 and post it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Some partial good news tonight.

Yamaha sent me some beta firmware (ver 1.05). Some preliminary tests I ran tonight indicate I no longer get the blue lines but do get occasional blue sparkles with HDMI to HDMI processing engaged. I will be doing more extensive testing tomorrow and a followup addendum in my review onces it posts this coming Monday. Maybe Ver 1.06 will put this issue to bed??? :rolleyes:

T

ttownsend

Audiophyte
Hi Folks!

I'm new to this forum and new to the RX Z7 (just got it two weeks ago). I'm been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to post. Generally, I'm very pleased the unit, but ufortunately, I too have the blue-vertical lines and occasional sparkles when running HDMI-HDMI with processsing turned on. I've updated to the 1.05 firmware, but that didn't make any difference.

Some partial good news tonight.
Yamaha sent me some beta firmware (ver 1.05). Some preliminary tests I ran tonight indicate I no longer get the blue lines but do get occasional blue sparkles with HDMI to HDMI processing engaged. I will be doing more extensive testing tomorrow and a followup addendum in my review onces it posts this coming Monday. Maybe Ver 1.06 will put this issue to bed??? :rolleyes:
Gene, your post references a beta firmware version 1.05 ... and then later references 1.06. Whereas 1.05 is already out, can I assume you meant 1.06 or am I misundersanding your post?

While I'm at, there are three other minor "annoyances", one of which may not be the fault of the Z7, although I'm not certain.

First, as has been reported by many 3900 owners, I have the problem in which my Motorola (cable) STB is reset from 1080i back to 480i (not even 480p) when I turn on the receiver. Ultimately, I'm not certain whether this is a problem with the Z7, the STB or perhaps even the TV itself ... or a combination of all of the above.

Second, I don't like the switched outlet being tied to the main power switch as opposed to having it tied to the unit going in and out of standby. If you want to keep the amp in stand-by mode (for the purpose of remote control via network) then the switched outlet remains powered all of the time.

Finally, I seem to be having a problem with the Receiver Manager software. Although I can consitently access the Z7 using the web interface without any problems, the RM software works only intermittently. Most of the time, it can't see the Z7 on the network. I'll try reload (and refreshing) numerous times but the Z7 will never show up. Then, every once in awhile, perhaps after a dozen or more attempts, I'll launch the RM software and the Z7 will be miraculously listed ... in which case I can use the RM perfectly. I posted this problem on another board, but never got any response.

Still, these are all minor issues and they're not stopping me from enjoying the unit.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
First, as has been reported by many 3900 owners, I have the problem in which my Motorola (cable) STB is reset from 1080i back to 480i (not even 480p) when I turn on the receiver. Ultimately, I'm not certain whether this is a problem with the Z7, the STB or perhaps even the TV itself ... or a combination of all of the above.
Are you running a Samsung TV? If so that is likely the problem. Motorolla boxes get hosed by Samsung TV's when running HDMI. I have 3 of those boxes and 2 Samsungs in my home so I connect them via Component Video else I have to unplug and replug my boxes every other day due to freezing or failure in operation.

Second, I don't like the switched outlet being tied to the main power switch as opposed to having it tied to the unit going in and out of standby. If you want to keep the amp in stand-by mode (for the purpose of remote control via network) then the switched outlet remains powered all of the time.
You shouldn't even use the outlets on the back of a receiver. For $150, buy an APC H15 from the Audioholics Store. Seriously, not trying to pimp our store but thats an insane deal and will accomplish all of your switching goals while also giving you real protection and not taxing the receiver to run other devices through it.

Gene, your post references a beta firmware version 1.05 ... and then later references 1.06. Whereas 1.05 is already out, can I assume you meant 1.06 or am I misundersanding your post?
Mine is ver 1.05 but they claim its beta and not released. I was making a supposition about there eventually being a 1.06 to fix this problem 100%. It doesn't exist yet.

T

ttownsend

Audiophyte
Thanks for your replies, Gene.

Are you running a Samsung TV? If so that is likely the problem. Motorolla boxes get hosed by Samsung TV's when running HDMI. I have 3 of those boxes and 2 Samsungs in my home so I connect them via Component Video else I have to unplug and replug my boxes every other day due to freezing or failure in operation.
No, I have the Mits 73835 DLP. I got both the TV and the Z7 at the same time, so it's a bit difficult to isolate which one is the actual culprit.

You shouldn't even use the outlets on the back of a receiver. For $150, buy an APC H15 from the Audioholics Store. Seriously, not trying to pimp our store but thats an insane deal and will accomplish all of your switching goals while also giving you real protection and not taxing the receiver to run other devices through it.
Actually, I have a Monster HTS 5100 Power Center which has the AC/Remote connection. With my previous receiver (Denon 3805), when I switched on(from stand-by), the 5100 would then automatically (in sequence) bring on my powered subwoofer, and my powered mains. So in reality, I've been using the receiver's switched outlet only as type of remote-control signal which triggers my Power Center to turn on. Unfortunately, with the Z7, I can no longer do that.

Mine is ver 1.05 but they claim its beta and not released. I was making a supposition about there eventually being a 1.06 to fix this problem 100%. It doesn't exist yet.
The only reason I asked is that a firmware version thaty they're referring to as 1.05 has been available on-line for a couple of days now. I updated my Z7 with it, but I'm still getting both the vertical lines and the sparkles with 1080p processing turned on.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
The only reason I asked is that a firmware version thaty they're referring to as 1.05 has been available on-line for a couple of days now. I updated my Z7 with it, but I'm still getting both the vertical lines and the sparkles with 1080p processing turned on.
Gene, the release 1.05 was mentioned in post 377 of http://www.avforums.com/forums/integrated-av-amplifiers-receivers/810098-new-yamaha-amps-rx-v1900-rx-v3900-dsp-z7-26.html

A few posts later is mentioned that it has been officially released. Are there differences between US and non-US FW releases ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually, I have a Monster HTS 5100 Power Center which has the AC/Remote connection. With my previous receiver (Denon 3805), when I switched on(from stand-by), the 5100 would then automatically (in sequence) bring on my powered subwoofer, and my powered mains. So in reality, I've been using the receiver's switched outlet only as type of remote-control signal which triggers my Power Center to turn on. Unfortunately, with the Z7, I can no longer do that.
Yes I used to use those too. I feel your pain but again recommend the APC as its a better unit and offers what you need.

Regarding the FW.
The version they sent me is different. They just sent me an even newer version that I will test right now to see if it kills the sparkles. Stay tuned....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Beta Firmware Fixed Line/Dot Issue So Far

Guys;

I am in the process of testing a new Beta firmware. So far so good. 1hr of testing and no lines or dots! .... stay tuned as I do more testing and redo HQV, etc to verify the fix didn't break something else.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis