She loves my Dynaudio!!!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I keep hearing good things about Aerial, but i haven't had the pleasure of hearing any of them yet. Enjoy them jinx free.
Dave,

I found this post I wrote a couple of years ago, just after auditioning Aerials for the first time. LOL. Enjoy this off-beat review.

Does anyone here own Aerial Acoustics speakers? (Wanna sell 'em cheap? :D )

I heard some of these yesterday...a couple of models...I think I found the ultimate speaker from which you'll NEVER want to upgrade. See, this is the problem with speaker shopping. Ya go in looking for some Paradigms that you can afford (but can't stand, as it turns out)....and there THEY are....off in that darkened room over there....like a gentle kiss blown from a beautiful stanger. Oh, be still my beating heart. THOSE! I WANT THOSE!! You walk closer and closer...right up to the gentle stranger and in that dim light, slowly focus on the golden nameplate. And it seductively says...whispers, really...."Aerial Acoustics". And THEN....like the slap on the face by a jealous husband...'THWACK!!'....$10,500 per says the little card on the top of the speaker. Ugh...NOOOOOooooooo. Then it's back to Shirley and the kids and the run-down house in the bad part of town with the barking neighbor's dog and squeaky swing from the other side and the JBLs........ :(

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
One last comment. I just discovered that ERA speakers are designed by one of the chief designers from Aerial Acoustics. Now that's a lineage of which to be proud. ;)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for noticing my little corner pounder. I wish it were actually finished in Rosewood, but the had already changed to the Rosenut finish before I ordered it. It's just a little redder than the Rosewood speakers, but it's all good. It does it's job.

Continuing on the Dynaudio comments, I just had a chance to run them through some heavier source material, like Dio, Evanescence, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Ozzy, etc. I can confirm my original suspicion that the Dynaudio have a lot less lower end punch, particularly on power tracks like Evanescence's "Everybody's Fool" or Metallica's "Holier Than Thou" or "Through The Never". It seems that the same qualities that make these such a fine speaker for so many other genre's make them a little less desirable for heavier music, i.e. the lightness and openness that makes them otherwise sound so good doesn''t translate well into music that supposed to be heavy. Also, the way that the Dynaudio present the voices, as I mentioned before, can start to sound a bit too bright at the higher volume levels and the genre I'm talking about here.

By comparison, various sections of music where I've come to look forward to solid hits and punchy bass/drum/guitar rhythms on the Era were underwhelming on the Dynaudio. I'm going to go on record and say, subject to further A/B listening, that the Era are far more suited for listening to heavier rock or metal. They do seem to be heavier, punchier and make quick transitions cleaner.
Geez... I thought I was reading my thoughts a few months ago. Going from the much detailed Rti8 to the heavier sounding must-have-them-for-metal-music. I finally ended up with the Energys as I can live without a little of in-your-face-effect.

I really recommend you audition Energy if you didn't. It's a good balance between the two worlds. I have the same musical tastes as you so I just thought I'd chime in.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Rj i thought you where considering a new a receiver. I guess the Aerials are a good compromise.:)

Enjoy, Billy P:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Rj i thought you where considering a new a receiver. I guess the Aerials are a good compromise.:)

Enjoy, Billy P:)
Thanks, BP!

Well....now I really really need a new AMP!! :eek: (Did you know I got a Yammy RX-V2500 last year? Not so new.)

I'm telling my wife that I "saved" thousands of dollars buying this set of Aerials used and should now get a new amp with the "savings". She won't bite on that hook. :(

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Rock/metal fan?! Did you audition Energy too?

I'd like to know your thoughts about the comparison if you did.
The local B&M dealer here has gotten into custom installs and doesn't stock them anymore. But I've had tons of opportunities to amuse myself with them for extended periods in the dedicated speaker room at FS. To be honest, I didn't hear the quality that everybody here is talking about, either nearfield or from a distance. Especially for the price, I wouldn't even consider them...not even the RC70. I had considered buying a set of RC30 and bringing them home for 29 days to see if what everybody is talking about would show up in my own listening area, but I haven't done that. I just don't see how a speaker that dead would suddenly come alive and jump to the top of the pack.

I see lots of recommendations for Energy's and I don't dispute others' opinions of them even if I don't share that opinion. But since you asked me directly, I'll continue. I think the RC-Mini is a standout in it's class, but pricey. When you can catch them on sale, they are probably the best choice out there for a small sat speaker, better I think than the Era D3 at the same size and price. I think the value equation tops out at the C-series, but at their price there are better choices, like the Epos ELS-3 as one example. For the cost of the RC70, I would certainly turn to something like the Focal Chorus 826V or even an equivalent Paradigm. Rather than the RC10, the Focal Chorus 706V.

Maybe someday I'll have a more favorable audition of the Energy line, I don't know. But in the meantime, I'll limit my opinion to this thread having been asked for it and leave others to continue recommending them, as is their privilege.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
One last comment. I just discovered that ERA speakers are designed by one of the chief designers from Aerial Acoustics. Now that's a lineage of which to be proud. ;)
I've been trying to tell you people how good they are all year....:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The local B&M dealer here has gotten into custom installs and doesn't stock them anymore. But I've had tons of opportunities to amuse myself with them for extended periods in the dedicated speaker room at FS. To be honest, I didn't hear the quality that everybody here is talking about, either nearfield or from a distance. Especially for the price, I wouldn't even consider them...not even the RC70. I had considered buying a set of RC30 and bringing them home for 29 days to see if what everybody is talking about would show up in my own listening area, but I haven't done that. I just don't see how a speaker that dead would suddenly come alive and jump to the top of the pack.

I see lots of recommendations for Energy's and I don't dispute others' opinions of them even if I don't share that opinion. But since you asked me directly, I'll continue. I think the RC-Mini is a standout in it's class, but pricey. When you can catch them on sale, they are probably the best choice out there for a small sat speaker, better I think than the Era D3 at the same size and price. I think the value equation tops out at the C-series, but at their price there are better choices, like the Epos ELS-3 as one example. For the cost of the RC70, I would certainly turn to something like the Focal Chorus 826V or even an equivalent Paradigm. Rather than the RC10, the Focal Chorus 706V.

Maybe someday I'll have a more favorable audition of the Energy line, I don't know. But in the meantime, I'll limit my opinion to this thread having been asked for it and leave others to continue recommending them, as is their privilege.
Dave your entittled to your opinion but did you know Energy require a 100hrs break in period:p. Jk..:)

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Cbraver,

How is the Crown amp working out for you. Is the fan an issue in such a small place. We are Crown and QSC dealers and I can get amps at cost. So its real tempting. My NAD C325BEE is nice and doing fine. But I will be moving soon and will be looking for a bigger amp for the larger living room they will be in. Been thinking about something from the RMX or PLX line from QSC.

Nice to see other Dynaudio owners.
Yeah, it's great. Before I powered them with a Pioneer VSX-39TX, which didn't do them justice at all. I'm in college, so, I'll take the trade-off of some fan noise for the value you get from going to pro-amplifiers. You have to spend some big money to get big power on the consumer market.

I looked inside and it would be very easy to replace the fans with quieter ones, I have been meaning to call Crown for a recommendation, but, honestly, it hasn't been loud enough to get me to call. Now that you reminded me, though, I'll probably give them a call this week. They have rediculously good costumer service.

But, since you are a dealer, you should just take a Crown and QSC home and see what you think. Either would be great, they'll sound the same, you won't be working any of them very hard. Even when I have my speakers at ear-numbing levels the Crown just blows cool air. If the fans are too much, you could bring it back and try something that is conduction cooled.

Let me know what direction you go and your impressions!

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Very nice setup Dave.

I had a chance last year to listen to the Dyn 220's. I loved them. They had a nice smooth sound. they were hooked up to a hefy watt amp which is needed since they are 4ohm speakers.

The highs were nice & clear without being shrill (thank God for soft dome tweeters!) & I thought very good bass.

Maybe they need some more break in time, or you might consider upping the wattage of your amp.

I love the rosewood color & your center looks like it belongs right there with them.

Congrats!

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for noticing my little corner pounder. I wish it were actually finished in Rosewood, but the had already changed to the Rosenut finish before I ordered it. It's just a little redder than the Rosewood speakers, but it's all good. It does it's job.

Continuing on the Dynaudio comments, I just had a chance to run them through some heavier source material, like Dio, Evanescence, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Ozzy, etc. I can confirm my original suspicion that the Dynaudio have a lot less lower end punch, particularly on power tracks like Evanescence's "Everybody's Fool" or Metallica's "Holier Than Thou" or "Through The Never". It seems that the same qualities that make these such a fine speaker for so many other genre's make them a little less desirable for heavier music, i.e. the lightness and openness that makes them otherwise sound so good doesn''t translate well into music that supposed to be heavy. Also, the way that the Dynaudio present the voices, as I mentioned before, can start to sound a bit too bright at the higher volume levels and the genre I'm talking about here.

By comparison, various sections of music where I've come to look forward to solid hits and punchy bass/drum/guitar rhythms on the Era were underwhelming on the Dynaudio. I'm going to go on record and say, subject to further A/B listening, that the Era are far more suited for listening to heavier rock or metal. They do seem to be heavier, punchier and make quick transitions cleaner.
Dynaudio makes neutral speakers, and neutral bass generally is "underwhelming." None of their speakers have thick low ends, but rather a very detailed neutral bass. I agree with cfrizz though, I think you should try adding some power. Can you bridge your amp? What you are describing to me is exactly what my Audiences sounded like before I gave them sufficient power.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dynaudio makes neutral speakers, and neutral bass generally is "underwhelming." None of their speakers have thick low ends, but rather a very detailed neutral bass. I agree with cfrizz though, I think you should try adding some power. Can you bridge your amp? What you are describing to me is exactly what my Audiences sounded like before I gave them sufficient power.
How much power would you suggest? I'm using the Rotel RMB-1075 high current amp that's rated for 4 ohms in an 11x14 room. I don't know if it's bridgeable.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Why don't you upgrade to the Rotel RMB 1095! All your speakers will thank you & so will your wife. She will go from happy to ecstatic!:cool::D

Cathy

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
How much power would you suggest? I'm using the Rotel RMB-1075 high current amp that's rated for 4 ohms in an 11x14 room. I don't know if it's bridgeable.
The most common rule of thumb is 2x your IEC, but it's just a guideline. Crown's rule of thumb is 1.6 to 2.5 you're IEC, for example, depending on the music being played (folk 1.6 ... 2.5 for heavy metal). The IEC of your speakers is ">200W" according to Dynaudio's website, so, I'd probably try and give them 350-400W's. (You're Rotel is 120w @ 8-ohms, 200w @ 4-ohms). My Audience 70s have an IEC of 210w@4-ohms, and I feed them 450w per channel. cfrizz's recommendation of testing out a 1095 is a good idea, that's 330w@4-ohms.

It sounds like you'd end up with a voice coil on your lap, but, that's just not the case. You're more likely to blow your speakers (especially at 4-ohms and 85db sensitivity) from underpowering than overpowering. The limiting factor is excusion limits, but, that's generally limited by your ears (if you drive those to their excusion limits, you should probably turn down the volume ;) )

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I was really close to buying the 1095 in the first place, but the 1075 was my attempt to be reasonable. So much for that. From now on I'm throwing reason out the window when it comes to audio purchases.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I was really close to buying the 1095 in the first place, but the 1075 was my attempt to be reasonable. So much for that. From now on I'm throwing reason out the window when it comes to audio purchases.

Haha, well, I can't know for sure without have heard them, but I certainly think demoing a larger amplifier would be worth your time. If you can't demo a Rotel 1095, or find a place with a good return policy then ..... I know a pro-amp wouldn't be practical for your setup (WAF, especially), but maybe order one online from a place with a good return policy, test what your speakers sound like with more power, and then return the pro-amp. If they sound about the same, then don't bother upgrading your amp. If they wake up (which, I don't gamble, but I bet), then you could look at some larger power consumer stuff.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief

Sad to hear such a bad experience with the RCs. Especially at FS, the listening spaces are less than ideal. They often underpower them and are hooked on multiple circuit boards for the switching system.

I have to agree though that they may seem dull but try adding 2dB of treble. This is where I think they shine. They are laid back yet detailed so when you blast heavy metal music, they don't shread your ears. I just bought killswitch engage's dvd (quite heavy), and I really had a great experience.

I'd love to hear some ear's though... no retailers in my region.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Sad to hear such a bad experience with the RCs. Especially at FS, the listening spaces are less than ideal. They often underpower them and are hooked on multiple circuit boards for the switching system.

I have to agree though that they may seem dull but try adding 2dB of treble. This is where I think they shine. They are laid back yet detailed so when you blast heavy metal music, they don't shread your ears. I just bought killswitch engage's dvd (quite heavy), and I really had a great experience.

I'd love to hear some ear's though... no retailers in my region.
Future shop is definitely not a favorable place for auditioning speakers. As a matter of fact he mentioned he liked the RC mini's to a point and they incorporate the exact same drivers and components? Go figure:).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis