Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone here own Aerial Acoustics speakers? (Wanna sell 'em cheap? :D )

I heard some of these yesterday...a couple of models...I think I found the ultimate speaker from which you'll NEVER want to upgrade. See, this is the problem with speaker shopping. Ya go in looking for some Paradigms that you can afford (but can't stand, as it turns out)....and there THEY are....off in that darkened room over there....like a gentle kiss blown from a beautiful stanger. Oh, be still my beating heart. THOSE! I WANT THOSE!! You walk closer and closer...right up to the gentle stranger and in that dim light, slowly focus on the golden nameplate. And it seductively says...whispers, really...."Aerial Acoustics". And THEN....like the slap on the face by a jealous husband...'THWHACK!!'....$10,500 per says the little card on the top of the speaker. Ugh...NOOOOOooooooo. Then it's back to Shirley and the kids and the run-down house in the bad part of town with the barking neighbor's dog and squeaky swing from the other side and the JBLs........ :(

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
OK. Which do I have...The barking dog, or the squeeking swing?

...and who's Shirley?

Bigamy is a crime, 'ya know.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. I've heard those puppies, the 20Ts. They have them setup at the local shop that I deal with for Paradigm. VERY nice indeed. I thought the friggin' wire hooked up to them was a fire hose! :eek: Check out the 5Bs though. Small, unassuming, but sweet sounding and not $25K/pr. :D Aerial has long been one of my favorite brands.

I had to drive a little further to listen to Paradigm's Signatures since my local shop doesn't carry them, and the shop I went to had these in one of their rooms...I didn't even bother. Now that's a full range speaker :)

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
Yup. I've heard those puppies, the 20Ts. They have them setup at the local shop that I deal with for Paradigm. VERY nice indeed. I thought the friggin' wire hooked up to them was a fire hose! :eek: Check out the 5Bs though. Small, unassuming, but sweet sounding and not $25K/pr. :D Aerial has long been one of my favorite brands.

I had to drive a little further to listen to Paradigm's Signatures since my local shop doesn't carry them, and the shop I went to had these in one of their rooms...I didn't even bother. Now that's a full range speaker :)

OH YEAH. I have an internet friend with the Puppies! Every time I talk to him I'm having to wash the drool off another shirt.

But about those "firehoses". WTF?! Yeah, this dealer had them too. I commented on one set that you could jumper car batteries with, no problem, and he said...."'Tain't nuthin'! Look at THESE!!" The things were, no kidding around, $1,000/FOOT! Two inches diameter, wound solid silver, electronics hooked all over the outside of the cables...what that was, I know not. (What economic downturn??)

I've fallen for the AA-7B's. And that sub.....holy smokes!

T

tom collins

Audiophyte
intro

greetings: my name is tom. i have been interested in good audio off and on for 30 years. lately, it has been on. currently using rega 2 turntable, arcam 80 int. amp, arcam cd 73, aerial 6b speakers with nordost blue heaven wires and nordost red dawn connctors. right now, i am working on getting my listening room toned down as the upper range is too pronounced. walls are 12foot plaster with a stone fireplace on one wall, tall windows and glass cabinets on another wall. what a nightmare, but the only room i have. any tips welcomed.

tom collins

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Tom,

What kind of acoustical treatments have you looked into? That would be the best solution I can think of for your issue.

T

tom collins

Audiophyte
thanx for the reply jax: the first step was to replace a 3' x 4' mirror with a hanging quilt. that helped a bit. i experimented by draping some quilts around the room and especially over the cabinet that holds the gear which is right between the speakers. i discovered a soundstage after that. i originally bought these speakers over the martin logans and several others because they sounded superbly balanced in the store. i recently went back and listened again and they were the same. the store owner made some suggestions. my problem is that i have to share the room with my wife and the room is 170 years old, so i can't go with modern baffles and sound absorbers. i think it will just take some time. let me know if you have any other ideas. oh, the room is about 16 x 20 and the system is on the 20' wall about 3/4 to one side (not the best i know) and there is no way to change it.

tom

H

HDaddict!

Audiophyte
Hell, go buy some 10 AWG Belden wire from bluejeanscable.com, some locking banana plugs (if your amp takes those) or gold spades, buy some mesh tubing, a little shrink wrap... and BAM! I bet you'd never know the difference between these DIY jobbers and those $1,000/foot fire hoses being sported at the local high-fi shop.

And yes, those Aerials are saaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Out of curiosity, what Paradigms did you hear, and what didn't you like about them?
Man, this thread is almost 2 years old. Asking this old man what he had for dinner last night would be tough enough to answer. Off the top of my head....at that time I auditioned every model Paradigm in the store from smallest up to Monitor 11's and Studio 100's. I found them to ALL share a penchant for compression and terrible cabinet resonance. I think they might not have been set up well, and could have been more fussy about the placement in those listening rooms than other speakers may have been. I did ask the salesman to move them around a bit. There was no effect. But overall, they were my least enjoyed speaker in the shop. After subsequent multiple reports (on this forum) of terrible Paradigm customer service, I'm mighty glad I didn't buy them that day...not that I would have anyway with that echoic sound they presented.

P

pretzel logic

Audiophyte
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. I was lucky enough to pick up a like new pair of 7t's about a year ago and have since added Aerial sides and surrounds. They are fantastic speakers and I can honestly say for the first time I feel no need to upgrade, ever.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis